Thai Woman Criticised for Offering Pay for Extra Luggage Space on Japan Flight

206323705_lel-scaled.jpg

A woman from Thailand faced harsh criticism online after posting a request for someone to transport her additional luggage to Japan for a fee. The incident occurred when she made the unusual request on Facebook in a group called 'Japan Travel Group'. After receiving many negative comments, the post was eventually removed.

The woman, heading to Tokyo on a China Eastern Airline flight on August 22, asked if someone had spare luggage space in which to carry her extra bag, weighing up to 23 kilograms, following airline requirements. She explained that she had over-shopped and her two bags weren't big enough to hold all her items.

The post read as follows: "Does anybody flying to Tokyo on the 22nd with China Eastern Airline have extra luggage space? I need to check in another bag, up to 23 kilograms, and I'm willing to pay 2,000 baht for assistance. I'll pick up the bag myself at our destination. Please let me know and I'll get in touch. Thank you."

Many people reacted negatively to her post, which led her to remove it. Critics argued that it would be easier and more sensible for her to simply pay for additional baggage capacity.

Some commenters underscored the dangers associated with agreeing to transport another person's luggage, referencing cases where Thai people found themselves imprisoned in foreign countries due to unknowingly transporting prohibited goods for others.

These remarks sparked speculations about the woman's reluctance to buy extra luggage capacity. According to the KhaoSod, some suggested she might be avoiding this option due to something questionable.

One comment read: "Why not just buy extra baggage capacity? It's safer and makes more sense. Agreeing to carry a stranger's bag is risky."

Another said: "Many Thais have ended up in prison overseas because they agreed to carry bags for other people. It's not worth the gamble."

As of now, China Eastern Airlines hasn't released any statement concerning the incident, and the woman failed to respond to the remarks from the online community.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-15

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The post read as follows: "Does anybody flying to Tokyo on the 22nd with China Eastern Airline have extra luggage space? I need to check in another bag, up to 23 kilograms, and I'm willing to pay 2,000 baht for assistance. I'll pick up the bag myself at our destination. Please let me know and I'll get in touch. Thank you.

That is in fact an illegal act... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I no longer travel as much as I used to but in the past I always travelled light to Thailand knowing that I would be able to buy clothing cheaply on arrival,

I was regularly approached at check in by women (it was always women) asking to use part of my baggage allowance because they were overweight (sometimes grossly so). I always refused, often to be be met with misandric abuse.

Stupid idea on the part of the woman, pay the excess baggage fees and that's the end of it.

Running around asking people on social media and offering 2,000 baht.

You are embarrassing yourself. Stop being so cheap.

Who, in this day and age of bombs, drugs, contraband would take that kind of risk?

13 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Who, in this day and age of bombs, drugs, contraband would take that kind of risk?

Indeed.

I travel back and forth to Thailand with a backpack and so have 25kg of unused checked baggage allowance, but I would never sell that to a stranger.

Having said that, I think that the worst thing You can say about this Thai woman is that she is a bit naive.

Edited by London Lowf

On 8/16/2024 at 2:44 AM, Nickcage49 said:

Has she ever heard that you can pay the airline to do this?

Has she also control of the weight limitations you are allowed, when the airplane  is overloaded, it might crash?