Harley-Davidson Shift: Some Production Heads to Thailand

resize_Harley-Davidson_sign_in_Wootton_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1372894.jpg

File photo courtesy: Wikipedia

Harley-Davidson, a brand synonymous with American craftsmanship, has announced a significant shift in its production strategy. Starting in 2025, some of its iconic motorcycles, specifically the Pan America, Sportster S, and Nightster models, will be produced at Harley-Davidson's manufacturing plant in Thailand. This move is a first for the company, traditionally renowned for its American-made machines.

For employees and loyal customers, this decision has raised concerns about quality and identity. Andrew Worby, president of United Steelworkers Local 2-209, expressed his apprehensions: "The customers have an expectation of American icons. We have a hometown rally here in Milwaukee where we bring the customers in and have them walk through the factories and tell them that the products are made here.”

The production shift, which was communicated to the U.S. workforce via email, has stirred uncertainty among the employees. Worby noted, "At the time period, the plant manager and management read an email to the workforce of this move."

Despite cautioning that no U.S. jobs will be lost due to the change, Worby and other workers remain sceptical. "A lot of the union workers, or salaried workers, we ride too. We’re the customers and to have the news come out about the product, we didn’t feel it was very positive at all,"

Worby commented. He added, "To the best of my knowledge, there will not be jobs lost due to this product moving to Thailand, but that’s today. I can’t predict the future."

In tandem with shifting some production, Harley-Davidson announced an additional $9 million investment into its U.S. facilities. The company assures that the move will help streamline operations without affecting the American workforce. Yet, the shadow of future uncertainties looms large as workers and customers alike wonder how this production shift will play out, reported ABC12.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Sh*t happens when an iconic US brand gives its CEO to a European.

Thailand HD is a joke.  HD opened its factories to the public but Thailand "assembly" can't be bothered to open their factory even to HD owners.  TIT

Thailand HD dealers just go along with the Thai Gov too.  The Gov put on an additional 100k thb tax on all new Harleys "just because they can afford it" and not a peep out of the dealers here.  Dealers won't advocate for new laws to encompass big bikes on Thai roads either - riding in other than L lane in BKK, using BKK flyovers, using BKK bridges ...

Most EU buyers don't even know most of their HD bikes come from Thailand now.

• Confused 1

Harley's "made" in Thailand are not "manufactured" in Thailand.

Thailand's Customs charges nearly 200% Duties and Taxes to bring a new Harley into the country and register it (properly).

But ! They only charge about 40% for "new parts".
So Harley imports the "parts" from America, assemble the bikes in Thailand, then pays to "register" the bike (and get the green book).

And yes, we thought there'd be a huge price discount over the imported bikes but I remember checking and it seems they dropped the price - on the few models being assembled in Thailand - by about 100k for the first year.
And the prices have steadily gone up since then.

The shift to producing more bikes in Thailand could very well be the result of a larger demand for the smaller bikes (like the Sportster/Nightster class and the Pan American adventure bike) in the Asian markets (Thailand, India, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc).
Gas pricing and bike size leads many in those countries to prefer smaller, lighter, cheaper to operate motorcycles while in "Western Countries" (America, Canada, Germany, England, etc) they like the "big beasts".

And the engine for the Pan American is made in China anyways so probably cheaper to import them into Thailand than the USA.

(Wish they'd bring back something like the Dyna again though. Not sure why they stopped making them.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

And Hardley Davidson fans are pretty upset about this moving to Thailand, plus the fact that HD Bud-Lighted themselves with their woke DEI policies.  Big backlash at the recent Sturgis rally, with the HD tent reportedly receiving little attention. 

Also many reports of biker's unbranding their bikes and removing logos and badges. One guy even machine gunned his bike to smithereens in protest.

Their South African born CEO is learning about actions and consequences.  :coffee1:

You telling us that boomer Harley riders are big snowflakes who are scared of "tHE wOKe" - I am shocked. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

And Hardley Davidson fans are pretty upset about this moving to Thailand, plus the fact that HD Bud-Lighted themselves with their woke DEI policies.  Big backlash at the recent Sturgis rally, with the HD tent reportedly receiving little attention. 

Also many reports of biker's unbranding their bikes and removing logos and badges. One guy even machine gunned his bike to smithereens in protest.

Their South African born CEO is learning about actions and consequences.  :coffee1:

German born, but yes your right. However this move has been whispered about for years but the backlash prevented it from happening.

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Harley's "made" in Thailand are not "manufactured" in Thailand.

Thailand's Customs charges nearly 200% Duties and Taxes to bring a new Harley into the country and register it (properly).

But ! They only charge about 40% for "new parts".
So Harley imports the "parts" from America, assemble the bikes in Thailand, then pays to "register" the bike (and get the green book).

And yes, we thought there'd be a huge price discount over the imported bikes but I remember checking and it seems they dropped the price - on the few models being assembled in Thailand - by about 100k for the first year.
And the prices have steadily gone up since then.

The shift to producing more bikes in Thailand could very well be the result of a larger demand for the smaller bikes (like the Sportster/Nightster class and the Pan American adventure bike) in the Asian markets (Thailand, India, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc).
Gas pricing and bike size leads many in those countries to prefer smaller, lighter, cheaper to operate motorcycles while in "Western Countries" (America, Canada, Germany, England, etc) they like the "big beasts".

And the engine for the Pan American is made in China anyways so probably cheaper to import them into Thailand than the USA.

(Wish they'd bring back something like the Dyna again though. Not sure why they stopped making them.)

Scratching my head with your initial statement. Putting the bike togeather is manufacturing the bike. I have never personally seen the draw to Harley as always seen it as over priced, and an Oldmans toy (average age of a Harley owner was 55). I love Triumph and see them as beautiful however as a kid I went with Japanese due to the bikes not peeing oil and needing a pocket full of spanners when going for a ride. Next bike is going to be a Hinckley Thunderbird..... mmmm beautiful 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

harleys stopped being a man's bike after they stopped the shovel head in the mid 83's-84. after that bikers fixing their rides by the side of the road became a thing of the past.😜

i had a 1982 FLHC. everyone used to say shovel heads were crap... they were almost right. the problem was finding good mechanics to fix them. i got so tired of grease monkeys acting tough with their tats and lack of skills, that i learned to maintain my bike. i had more fun tinkering with it than riding it. but damn the thing could fly...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I think Sturgis opened their eyes all the way.   They have apparently waken up from being woke.

Harley-Davidson is dropping diversity initiatives

paraphrased from link above ...

"Harley-Davidson joins Tractor Supply and John Deere to backtrack on policies following pressure campaigns led by Starbuck.   Tractor Supply recently announced it was eliminating jobs and goals focused on diversity, equity and inclusion; withdrawing its carbon emission reduction goals; and ending sponsorships for LGBTQ+ Pride festivals and voting campaigns. John Deere announced it will no longer sponsor “social or cultural awareness” events and would audit all its training materials.

The company added that “we have not operated a DEI function since April 2024, and we do not have a DEI function today. We do not have hiring quotas and we no longer have supplier diversity spend goals.”

But the company said it would review all sponsorships and outside organizations the company affiliates with, and the company will establish a central clearinghouse for approvals of those relationships. It also suggested it would drop some sponsorships, including LGBTQ+ Pride festivals, saying the brand going forward would focus exclusively on growing the sport of motorcycling. Harley-Davidson, based in Milwaukee, had previously been a longtime corporate member of the Wisconsin LBGT Chamber of Commerce.

The company also said it would end its relationship with the Human Rights Campaign, a leading LGBTQ+ advocacy group."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

Harley is trailing and failing. The new big bikes are no longer mechanical but mainly electronic and those electronics are buggy. They are playing catch-up. Their customers are old and they have very little appeal to young enthusiasts. Japanese bikes rule the roost. Sorry Harley bikes like American cars are diminishing in appeal.