Taxi to the danger zone: Driver stabbed in Phuket passenger showdown

snoop1130

COVER-PIC-13-1.jpg

An airport taxi driver stabbed a fellow driver outside a hotel in the Patong neighbourhood of Phuket yesterday after a dispute over passengers.

Officers from Patong Police Station investigated the stabbing outside Novotel Vintage Park Resort and arrested the attacker, 55 year old Raphiphan Saelor, at the scene. The injured victim, 40 year old Apinan Boonpha, was rushed to hospital before the police arrived.

A witness informed the police that both Raphiphan and Apinan were taxi drivers who serviced passengers travelling from Phuket International Airport to the city centre. They usually parked at the scene of the incident while waiting for passengers.

According to the witness, Raphiphan stabbed Apinan in the stomach with a knife nearly 30 centimetres long. Raphiphan initially concealed the knife in a dark blue cloth, so Apinan was unaware of it and unprepared to defend himself.

Later, Apinan gave an interview to Khao Phuket while receiving treatment at Patong Hospital. He explained in detail that the stabbing occurred yesterday, August 20, on Ratuthit 200 Years Road near the hotel. Apinan stated that they had argued in an airport taxi drivers’ group chat on the LINE application before the incident took place.

Apinan mentioned that Raphiphan did not understand the system and procedures of the airport taxi group, where each driver must pick up passengers only when it is their turn. Raphiphan frequently accused Apinan of stealing his passengers and used vulgar language towards him.

Apinan admitted that he also used vulgarities during the conversation on the LINE application. Raphiphan then asked his wife to call him to arrange a meeting, where he immediately stabbed Apinan. Apinan added that the taxi group had expelled Raphiphan following the incident.

In the comments section under the news report, few people expressed sympathy for the taxi drivers, criticising them instead for their frequent arguments and other misconduct that continue to make headlines.

Some commenters stated that tourists prefer to book transport via ride-hailing applications due to the violent issues among taxi drivers.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ Phuket Times and Khao Phuket

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-21

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Attempted Murder over a LINE messenger (App) argument...

Such an unhinged character [Raphiphan]...  This is one person who should never be allowed exposure to public services such as taxi driving....  

We never see the follow up - but this was very close to murder, he needs to go away for a long time.

14 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

In the comments section under the news report, few people expressed sympathy for the taxi drivers, criticising them instead for their frequent arguments and other misconduct that continue to make headlines.

Very true -  One of the many facets of a country people take away is the transport services and how they function....   This often has an impact on whether a country is a 'one off' visit... or somewhere tourists are likely to become 'repeat visitors'... 

Example: In other countries the tranport and taxi services are such a hassle, in such disarray with scamming cheating taxi drivers that having visited and been exposed to such behavior and attitudes is enough to deter return visits. 

...  I've been to a handful of such countries lately...    these countries are popular with tourists, but I wonder how many are 'one off tourists'....  

Places that have  deterred me as a 'return tourist' partially due to the the transport issues they have....    

I wonder how many tourists do not return to Thailand because they cannot be bothered with the transport hassles.

Once country I recently visited (with family) left me thinking 'F... that, these are lying cheating ayholes who want to scam everyone and anyone, I just can't be bothered with the hassle of returning here'... 

Even if 10 or 20% of potential return tourists think like this - then its a significant loss of tourist income and all because these scum cannot be controlled.

It is of course an immeasurable metric, but one a civilised government and tourism authority should be well aware of and be taking extremely strict measures to deal with.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Raphiphan then asked his wife to call him to arrange a meeting, where he immediately stabbed Apinan. Apinan added that the taxi group had expelled Raphiphan following the incident.

Premeditated murder charge... hope the bast**d never sees daylight again.

• Agree 1