Toyota Corolla

In general, would you expect many problems from a 1994 corolla 1.6i with 170,000 on the clock?

I am looking for a second motor to run around in down town other than the 2.8 pick up I am driving atm.

what is the car's history? Has it been a taxi since 1994? Or driven by a little old lady?

The alternator, shocks and exhaust usually need changing around that mileage. Take a look at them. Among other things listen for a putt putt sounding noise from the exhaust that may indicate burnt valves. If the engine's a rattler the timing chain may need changing. A lot depends on the service history.

One of our cars is an '89 Camry with 170 something on it and it runs great still. Of course you'll need maintenance from time to time, I just put a water pump on it last year, etc. But if you keep it up, the motors in those things are famous for 250+ easy. My first car was a '72 Celica and I sold it with 230 to a friend of mine and he drove it another year or so before driving it to Colorado from Virginia when he moved.

Thanks.

The book does not mention them being used as taxis and as the bodywork on those I have looked at seems in good condition (unlike those in the UK that tend to rust from the salty air) I would be happy enough to get a service and expect some repairs along the way, as with any older car.

As for how they have been driven, that is always an unknown quantity.

Around 110,000 Baht they are worth another look if I can get a couple or more years out of it.

I'd get the mechanic who services the Isuzu truck to look first and give me a report.

As an aside, I must admit, I looked at a Ford Ranger 4WD 2.5 turbo to use intead of the 2.8 Mitsubishi I am using now, but decided that 240,000 was too cheap. It looked clean inside but I was more worried about costs of repairs.