Are you allow to film inside shopping centres in Thailand?

I was wondering if it's legal to film inside shopping centres in Thailand? There are some very nice shopping in Bangkok I wish to film while I'm here on holidays. Someone told me that you can't anymore due to the terrorist attacks years ago? 

Edited by organicman

Management does not want you to do it. I was stopped by a security guard once. But in reality there are lots of people taking photos or are filming. As long as you do not film large areas with all details you should be fine. 

27 minutes ago, msbkk said:

Management does not want you to do it. I was stopped by a security guard once. But in reality there are lots of people taking photos or are filming. As long as you do not film large areas with all details you should be fine. 

I think the issue here is that it would be hard to make a quality video (especially in 360 as the OP says) without it being obvious.

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think the issue here is that it would be hard to make a quality video (especially in 360 as the OP says) without it being obvious.

The question is what purpose are the videos for. It is a difference if it is just for a short impression for friends or an extensive  walkthrough for youtube.

I remember back in  1996 -2000's  before the mobile phones  they where  really quite anal about taking photos in the shopping malls,

I was reprimanded a couple of times by security  that literally ran across the mall  at the sight of my 35mm old school camera  before I even got a chance to take a shot !  nowadays everyone has a phone and taking photos and video is no longer a problem they probably even welcome the free advertising  as they should have in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see YouTube videos all the time from inside shopping malls in Thailand...  So I don't think there is a specific law about it. However, it may not be popular by the shops and owners of the mall for reasons would could end up showing them in a negative light (think defamation laws etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0p1vPpMV24

You shouldn't have an issue - although Thailand does have some laws on filing other people.

In short, you are permitted to 'inadvertently' film others without their permission IF doing so does not paint them in a negative light.

This article covers that: 

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/thailand-criminal-law/criminal-litigation/filming-people-thailand-without-consent/

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, msbkk said:

The question is what purpose are the videos for. It is a difference if it is just for a short impression for friends or an extensive  walkthrough for youtube.

Exactly.  It sounds like the OP wants to do the latter.

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I see YouTube videos all the time from inside shopping malls in Thailand...  So I don't think there is a specific law about it. However, it may not be popular by the shops and owners of the mall for reasons would could end up showing them in a negative light (think defamation laws etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0p1vPpMV24

You shouldn't have an issue - although Thailand does have some laws on filing other people.

In short, you are permitted to 'inadvertently' film others without their permission IF doing so does not paint them in a negative light.

This article covers that: 

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/thailand-criminal-law/criminal-litigation/filming-people-thailand-without-consent/

It is also about all the effort malls do to attract customers. The malls pay a lot of attention and investment in facilities, showcasing of products, brand placement ... Competitors could easily walk in and videotape everything to copy it. This is one of the reasons videotaping is not really wanted. I was exhibitor at a twice yearly sales show for many years. There always were guests trying to videotape or taking photos into showcases. And soon later designs were copied by other companies. These people were only visiting to steal designs.

I tried to film in 360 at the Grand Palace (Bangkok) today. Thai Police said I'm not allowed and I had to delete my footage. 

Has anyone else experienced other locations where you aren't allowed to record video in Thailand? 

20240830_114802.jpg

Grand Palace is not a private property so please shoot as much as you can. 

For decades I haven't seen a single policeman there. Some dumb a** security kids are just kids. Ignore them

as for shopping malls. Youtube is full of videos from Sh.Malls. any mention of Sh*tstara Shopping Mall is free advertising - so you'll do them a favor.

Meanwhile shooting certain person w/o concern might cause "personal injuries" 

2 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Grand Palace is not a private property so please shoot as much as you can. 

For decades I haven't seen a single policeman there. Some dumb a** security kids are just kids. Ignore them

as for shopping malls. Youtube is full of videos from Sh.Malls. any mention of Sh*tstara Shopping Mall is free advertising - so you'll do them a favor.

Meanwhile shooting certain person w/o concern might cause "personal injuries" 

They have increased the security. There was about 10 police men and soliders when you walk in to the ticket counter. 

6 minutes ago, organicman said:

They have increased the security. There was about 10 police men and soliders when you walk in to the ticket counter. 

ok. as you say so. 

3 hours ago, organicman said:

I tried to film in 360 at the Grand Palace (Bangkok) today. Thai Police said I'm not allowed and I had to delete my footage. 

Has anyone else experienced other locations where you aren't allowed to record video in Thailand? 

20240830_114802.jpg

Why did you try it while there is a sign which says not to do so?