Three Lives Lost in Accident: Grandfather & Grandchildren on Motorcycle Hit by Truck

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

Some even many of the moves they make,such as pulling out without looking are beyond training,it's so fundamental that it can only be a matter of IQ.

Common sense not IQ

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

CCTV footage revealed that the motorcycle, owned by Mr. Jin, the 60-year-old grandfather, was being driven by his 15-year-old grandson, with Mr. Jin sitting behind the 2-year-old granddaughter.

1 hour ago, Gobbler said:

I said Grandpa lacks good judgment. I am right. If the 15-year-old was driving, it only bolsters my opinion. 

I think reading the full article should be mandatory before posting. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

The scary reality is that could have been any one of us, driving a pickup or a car.  Ending up in the dock because of a kid's inexperience and poor judgment.

One more case for installing a good dash camera, in case the CCTV's weren't around.

IMO not having a dash cam here is madness and you get 10% discount on private insurance which also IMO is essential. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nobody seems to have mentioned the timing in the CCTV shots. The incident took place in 5 seconds from start to finish. Very little time for any reaction by the lorry driver. Also the 15 year old motor cyclist appears to falter as he crosses because of the motor bike coming from his left. That momentary lapse could have been the reason for this tragic accident.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

I would venture to say that the angle of the truck is not from swerving, but under heavy braking.

I don't know much about heavy breaking, but the idea that he's trying to swerve out of the way doesn't quite add up, with the distances and the positions of the vehicles initially.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The article states, and yes it is, a clip from the CCTV, so please explain why you doubt it?

Here is the edited version of the 2 CCTV views of incident, which is the only parts suitable for general display.

you can clearly see that the motor bike changed the angle of his turn from hard right then veered more to his left  0:09  befor trying to complete the turn ..   the truck driver must have seen th initial angle and tried to manuever out of the turn path.    the inexperienced bike driver sealed his own fate

4 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

you can clearly see that the motor bike changed the angle of his turn from hard right then veered more to his left  0:09  befor trying to complete the turn ..   the truck driver must have seen th initial angle and tried to manuever out of the turn path.    the inexperienced bike driver sealed his own fate

There was no veering left. The boy stayed straight to let the other bike -- on his right -- make its left turn. At the same time, he approached the intersection, then immediately locked in on the approaching bike. Judging everything (about the boy) from that instant, clearly, he is 100% focused on that bike and timing his entry to fall in behind it; and 0% thinking about the lane he needed to cross.

As for the truck, definitely moving fast -- gauging the speed of the motorbikes already in traffic. But the driver hit the brakes as soon as he saw the bike -- causing the swerve -- and I see no fault on his part, unless they can prove he was over the speed limit and wanted to use that to blame him for the deaths. That said, even at a safe speed it's doubtful he could have stopped that heavy double-load of sand in time to avoid the collision.

Overall sad. Hopefully, people will take time to reflect and eventually find peace.

"the inexperienced bike driver sealed his own fate"... as well, the fate of others.