SETV & METV still around now that visa exempts are now 60 days?

9 hours ago, raz0r21 said:

with the new ETA requirements for visa exempt entry I am sure the tourist visas will get real popular again

Doesn't the ETA apply to all types of entry - exempt or with a visa?  I am open to correction if mistaken, but that was the wording I recall.

3 minutes ago, Rob Browder said:

Doesn't the ETA apply to all types of entry - exempt or with a visa?  I am open to correction if mistaken, but that was the wording I recall.

No, ETA is only required for visa exempt

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

You've already been vetted, submitted an application and been approved to enter Thailand when you have a visa.  There's no reason to have to submit information again for an ETA.  Travel authorizations across the countries that use them are for pre-authorizing and collecting information for people that are traveling without a visa.

On 8/31/2024 at 6:13 PM, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps.

If the visa exempt entries were via air and short ish time spent out of Thailand thinking possible issue with immigration..

Also time will tell how long 60 day visa exempt will continue. 

Can someone clarify how many times you can re enter on the 60-day visa

44 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

there is no limit, officially. Unofficially.... after 2 or 3 times, expect to be questioned.

57 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Are you referring to visa exempt 60 days OR SETV (single entry tourist visa)? 

Both provide 60 stamp.

Both can be extended by 30 days

On 9/9/2024 at 7:11 PM, DrJack54 said:

Are you referring to visa exempt 60 days OR SETV (single entry tourist visa)? 

Both provide 60 stamp.

Both can be extended by 30 days

I'm referring to visa exempt, if you extend it for 30 days can you do a border run after the 90 days, it seems you can re enter as many time as you like as long as you stay no longer than 60 days so does that mean after staying 90 days with an extension you still can re enter up to 6 months, so you  could re enter 3 times in one year, total 6 months, or once with an extension then do another run giving you 2 more months total 5 months then another after that giving you 7 months total , is this right??? appreciate reply thanks Dr Jack

22 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

I'm referring to visa exempt, if you extend it for 30 days can you do a border run after the 90 days, it seems you can re enter as many time as you like as long as you stay no longer than 60 days so does that mean after staying 90 days with an extension you still can re enter up to 6 months, so you  could re enter 3 times in one year, total 6 months, or once with an extension then do another run giving you 2 more months total 5 months then another after that giving you 7 months total , is this right??? appreciate reply thanks Dr Jack

The plan you outline and variations of visa exempt (60 days) with or without 30 day extensions will work.

For how months continuous stay in Thailand with almost zero time out can you use visa exempt entries is up to the io at land borders and airports.

There has always been not stated limits at airports however we do see denials of entry and warnings to obtain a "visa" 

Thinking some folk have read too much into the word "unlimited" used in announcement of the change to 60 days.

Also how long the 60 days will continue. 

Only one person's opinion but I'm thinking folk could easily manage a 6 month stay (2 visa exempt + 2 extensions) 

After that spend some time elsewhere then VE again.

Time will tell.

Yes there are agents that can grease the wheels. Already mentioned in this thread. 

Current topic discussing some aspects of this 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1337283-splitting-my-time-between-thailand-my-originating-country/

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The plan you outline and variations of visa exempt (60 days) with or without 30 day extensions will work.

For how months continuous stay in Thailand with almost zero time out can you use visa exempt entries is up to the io at land borders and airports.

There has always been not stated limits at airports however we do see denials of entry and warnings to obtain a "visa" 

Thinking some folk have read too much into the word "unlimited" used in announcement of the change to 60 days.

Also how long the 60 days will continue. 

Only one person's opinion but I'm thinking folk could easily manage a 6 month stay (2 visa exempt + 2 extensions) 

After that spend some time elsewhere then VE again.

Time will tell.

Yes there are agents that can grease the wheels. Already mentioned in this thread. 

Current topic discussing some aspects of this 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1337283-splitting-my-time-between-thailand-my-originating-country/

Thanks Dr Jack 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2024 at 10:18 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Can you please stop stating your opinion as fact. You bang on about how the 60 day visa exempt is only temporary and yet you have no source or basis for continuing to state it. 

As far as I can tell you are the only person continuously posting the 60 day visa exempt is only temporary. Maybe that means you are wrong...

Regardless, the current rules are 60 days visa exempt, why you would recommend someone to ignore that and get a METV instead is ridiculous

Changes of 30 day visa exempt entries to longer periods have happened before, always temporary. The most recent was the increase from 30 to 45 days in October 2022 which lasted for six months. 

Edited by lamyai3

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Extensions of 30 day visa exempt entries have happened before, always temporary. The most recent was the increase from 30 to 45 days in October 2022 which lasted for six months. 

Yes, and when announced the start and end date of the increase to 45 days was always clearly stated with a defined date that it would return to 30 days.

There has been no end date announced this time, just stated that visa exempt is now 60 days

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1