How will the new taxation work when it comes to remitted foreign (US) dividends?

For many years my US dividends paid tax at source (automatically withheld at 30%), and then I transferred them to Thailand during the next fiscal year. Easy.

Now, how will this work with the new tax rules? Would the RD consider this as income that already paid tax in full abroad and so there is no tax due in Thailand? Or should one use tax treaties to be withheld 15% at source and pay the remaining 15% on the portion that is remitted to Thailand?

Seems complicated to do; I'm not sure if foreigners without a job in Thailand can get access to tax treaties, just because of staying over 6 months.

It also makes me wonder if one could get in trouble with the IRS, since it's possible to be withheld 15% in the US and then not remit anything to Thailand, or remit income from other sources, such as capital gains, to pay less tax.

I guess that I should meet with a tax advisor, or go ask at the RD directly, but asking here first in case anyone is in a similar situation.

58 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Another tax question so another new thread, what's wrong with asking your question in any of the over twenty existing tax threads?

Thanks for asking.

It's a question about a particular topic, so in order to keep the forum organized it's better to open new threads about specific situations.

This way, on this thread we can talk about foreign dividends and their taxation when remitted into Thailand.

This will make it easier for people with the same inquiry in the future to find the topic, discuss it, or even find an answer to it in here, even years down the road.

Navigating generic threads of hundreds of pages with people taking about different things is way less efficient.

I hope that this answers your question. Also, let me know if you have any information related to the original question so that the thread is not derailed.

Thanks 😊

Edited by andux
  • Thumbs Up 1