Thai Funeral Practice of Lighting Cigarettes Sparks Online Debate

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

Having first hand knowledge of this I can confirm that funerals can cost between 200,000 and 400,000 baht. This is mostly down to the 3 days of feeding the village that the deceased is from along with free alcohol. It is expected in Issan villages. I am glad my wife had the forethought to have had private insurance for her parents.

Like all villagers in isan could afford this.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Daniel Cully said:

Like all villagers in isan could afford this.

I don't think all villagers can. All I know is the 3 days prior to the cremation the deceased family put on food and alcohol for  the rest of the village. I would think the cost is spread out with many family members. What is your experience of Isan funerals?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

Having first hand knowledge of this I can confirm that funerals can cost between 200,000 and 400,000 baht. This is mostly down to the 3 days of feeding the village that the deceased is from along with free alcohol. It is expected in Issan villages. I am glad my wife had the forethought to have had private insurance for her parents.

Alcohol is not allowed in temple grounds, was this a home 'party' ?

We paid 1k per person for my mates cremation for the food no alcohol, and the 3 day ceremony.

20 people attended. Actual funeral was 5K included in that 20K. yes prices can vary but even 100k would be too much. Who paid ? was it you ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Alcohol is not allowed in temple grounds, was this a home 'party' ?

We paid 1k per person for my mates cremation for the food no alcohol, and the 3 day ceremony.

20 people attended. Actual funeral was 5K included in that 20K. yes prices can vary but even 100k would be too much. Who paid ? was it you ?

We are talking for Thai people not farang and in an Isan village. The 3 days prior to the cremation the food and drink is consumed at the deceased house. If you read my first post you will see I did not pay anything. So if your intimating I was ripped off then your far off the mark.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

I don't think all villagers can. All I know is the 3 days prior to the cremation the deceased family put on food and alcohol for  the rest of the village. I would think the cost is spread out with many family members. What is your experience of Isan funerals?

There is some offset. Principal attendees usually pass an envelope containing cash to the bereaved which, according to the deceased's status, can be substantial but seldom enough to cover the total cost. The downside is that if the bereaved, in the future, attend a funeral of a donor's deceased relative, there is an obligation to make a similar offering or suffer unspoken loss of face.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

There is some offset. Principal attendees usually pass an envelope containing cash to the bereaved which, according to the deceased's status, can be substantial but seldom enough to cover the total cost. The downside is that if the bereaved, in the future, attend a funeral of a donor's deceased relative, there is an obligation to make a similar offering or suffer unspoken loss of face.

Similar to weddings... the cost of our Wedding (not insubstantial) was covered by the cost of the 'envelope monies' donated by the guests on arrival at the weddings.... 

I imagine and hope the same can be said of the In-Laws when they pass as their funerals could be fairly big affairs... So, offsetting any cost with donates is obviously be welcomed. 

24 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Yes their is some offset but not substantial. Considering its an Isan village I think we got donations amounting to around 20 - 25%  of  the total outlay. 

Before the BBQ service starts, most people give an envelope to the family to help with

the costs. As I sit out here by Phimai, the wife is at a BBQ in Korat of a school friend who

died of "C". A few of the school friends saw in the hospital saw her last week, she couldn't

talk the wife said, but she cried when she saw her friends at her bedside.