Rising Homelessness in the US Linked to Migrant Influx and Economic Pressures

Social Media

image.png

Homelessness in the United States is reaching unprecedented levels, driven by a surge in illegal migrants and a variety of economic factors, according to a recent report. As cities scramble to fund shelters, a Wall Street Journal analysis suggests that the number of homeless people could soon surpass the highest levels ever recorded.

As of January, approximately 550,000 people were reported homeless, a figure that coincided with the highest number of border crossings the US has ever seen in a single month. This marks at least a 10% increase from January 2023, which had already set a record for homelessness, according to data going back to 2007, when the government first started tracking these numbers. The January 2024 tally is expected to grow even further, as cities like New York, which have significant homeless populations, have yet to report their official figures.

Given current trends, the US is on pace to exceed 2023’s record of 653,000 homeless individuals. The increase in homelessness has paralleled a record number of migrants crossing the border illegally, seeking asylum, and then being transported to major cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, and Denver. This has stretched local resources thin, leading to rising crime and gang violence in some areas. Massachusetts, for example, reported that nearly half of the more than 7,000 families in its family shelters were migrants. The state expects to spend over $1 billion housing migrants during this fiscal year alone, according to the Wall Street Journal. 

In Chicago, migrants made up more than 70% of the homeless population, pushing the city's homeless count to triple what it was before, with over 18,800 people living on the streets or in shelters in January. Similarly, Denver has seen a 42% spike in homelessness, with fresh waves of migrants contributing to the city's struggles. The Journal also points to the rise in fentanyl use, skyrocketing housing and rent costs, and the end of pandemic-era tax credits as factors that have pushed many families into homelessness.

California, long grappling with the largest homeless population in the country, remains at the epicenter of the crisis. In 2023, the state had more than 180,000 homeless people, according to the most recent data from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom has been urging cities to dismantle homeless encampments, but the situation continues to worsen. While HUD has not yet released its official 2024 report, the Wall Street Journal, with the help of 250 organizations across the country, expects this year’s numbers to be even higher. The Journal suggests its estimates might be more accurate, as HUD’s data are often seen as undercounts influenced by volunteer availability and weather conditions during data collection. 

The combination of rising migrant numbers, economic instability, and housing shortages has brought the homelessness crisis in the US to a breaking point, with no immediate solution in sight.

Based on a report from: NYP 2024-09-24

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Another murdoc rag,put those people to work picking fruit and other crops like in the old days get the bipartisan border bill passed for more border patrol more fentanyl enforcement more judges and case workers to weed out the fake asylum seeker’s.

So, you're saying it's not true. Why would "Murdoc publication" have anything to do with it? What biden has done to this country is obscene. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Murdoc is a (news) organization that slants hard right and they have serious problems with facts.please be more specific about what president Biden has done that’s so obscene……booming stock market inflation is being tamed infrastructure done seeded renewable resources domestic mfg of computer chips lowered drug prices…..stands with labor…..supports our allies stands tall for democracy….the obscenity is what trump did to that bipartisan border bill among a host of other failures.

Funny how when stock market was down it wasn't Biden's fault but when it's going OK you give Biden credit. The minute Biden took office he rescinded most of Trump's border initiatives, stopped building the border barrier, sold off the barrier supplies for pennies on the dollar. "Stand with Labor" is a laugh since the Teamsters won't stand with her.

The US can't handle the amount of migrants biden has allowed in. If harris wins it'll just be more of the same. All words and no action.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Funny how when stock market was down it wasn't Biden's fault but when it's going OK you give Biden credit. The minute Biden took office he rescinded most of Trump's border initiatives, stopped building the border barrier, sold off the barrier supplies for pennies on the dollar. "Stand with Labor" is a laugh since the Teamsters won't stand with her.

The US can't handle the amount of migrants biden has allowed in. If harris wins it'll just be more of the same. All words and no action.

Biden, Harris.

Check your 401K.

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

We have legislation on the books to handle it as soon as the republicans are freed of the terror trump holds over them or better yet when the dems have control of all 3 branches it will become law and will help alleviate the problem.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Biden, Harris.

Check your 401K.

As was stated before by our leftie brethren, our president doesn't control the stock market. So, which is? 

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

As was stated before by our leftie brethren, our president doesn't control the stock market. So, which is? 

Be assured, in the run up to voting millions of Americans will be checking their stock holdings and what they see will have a bearing on their voting choice.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Be assured, in the run up to voting millions of Americans will be checking their stock holdings and what they see will have a bearing on their voting choice.

So, you're avoiding answering an honest question. How very political of you. Sounds like when Harris is asked point blank about how she plans to bring down costs. She talks about lawns.

Stock holdings is something the majority of Americans can't afford. They're being priced out of rentals to make room for migrants.

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, you're avoiding answering an honest question. How very political of you. Sounds like when Harris is asked point blank about how she plans to bring down costs. She talks about lawns.

Stock holdings is something the majority of Americans can't afford. They're being priced out of rentals to make room for migrants.

I’ve provided a link to a credible explanation of why so many are homeless.

Now let’s see you provide evidence that immigrants crossing the border to work at the bottom of the U.S. economy are forcing Americans out of the housing market.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve provided a link to a credible explanation of why so many are homeless.

Now let’s see you provide evidence that immigrants crossing the border to work at the bottom of the U.S. economy o h are proving Americans out of the housing market.

Maybe read the topic Social Media provided. I'm sitting pretty in Thailand with my US rentals set at a below average rental rate. If I charged the going rate I'd have to evict them all because they couldn't afford the rent.

Same in the UK. Bring in loads of people, don't build houses for them to live and wonder why there is a housing shortage.

Same with healthcare, schools etc. It's a clown show. Makes Liberals feel virtuous though. 

• Haha 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

Same in the UK. Bring in loads of people, don't build houses for them to live and wonder why there is a housing shortage.

Same with healthcare, schools etc. It's a clown show. Makes Liberals feel virtuous though. 

So who hasn’t been building houses, schools, providing the health care services to meet demand?

A problem that exists but can’t possibly be blamed on a Government that is less than 3 months old.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Maybe read the topic Social Media provided. I'm sitting pretty in Thailand with my US rentals set at a below average rental rate. If I charged the going rate I'd have to evict them all because they couldn't afford the rent.

Good for you.

So no evidence that immigrants crossing the border to work at the bottom of the US economy are forcing Americans out of the housing market.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So who hasn’t been building houses, schools, providing the health care services to meet demand?

A problem that exists but can’t possibly be blamed on a Government that is less than 3 months old.

The Democrats have been in power for 12 of the last 16 years. 

So it would appear logical to blame them. 

I was responding to your post wrt to the UK.

So applying your logic…

I was talking about the US, and saying it was the same as the UK.

So who would you blame for the lack of housing in the US (the topic of this thread) when the Dems have been in for 12 of the last 16 years?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I was talking about the US, and saying it was the same as the UK.

So who would you blame for the lack of housing in the US (the topic of this thread) when the Dems have been in for 12 of the last 16 years?

Yes of course you were, except this is what you said:

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Stop digging

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Yes of course you were, except this is what you said:

Stop digging

A weak attempt at deflection.

Back on topic. Who is to blame in the US for the lack of housing given that the Dems have been in for 12 of the last 16 years?

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m aware of that.

Trickle down economics isn’t working is it.

The fix isn’t more trickle down economics.

Neoliberal Trickledown economics has never worked.  It is a weird version of modern astrology.  Sole purpose to to get money to flow upwards to the rich (the rich love neoliberal trickledown ideology).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I provided a link, refer above.

The link doesn't answer the question that you are so clearly trying to avoid.

I'll answer for you. The Democrats are responsible for the lack of housing as well as the massive influx of immigrants. See, wasn't that difficult was it? 😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Hold the panic, its the NYP making the link.

“There are currently two major contributors to the housing and homelessness crises: a lack of low cost housing nationwide and the limited scale of housing assistance programs.

Nationally, the cost of rental housing greatly exceeds wages earned by low-income renter households. For example, a full-time worker needs to earn on average $25.82 per hour to afford a modest two-bedroom rental and $21.21 hourly to afford a one-bedroom (National Low Income Housing Coalition, 2022). However, the national minimum wage is only $7.25!”

https://nationalhomeless.org/homelessness-in-the-us/#:~:text=There are currently two major,by low-income renter households.

Rental prices are obscene in UK, especially the Home Counties (England), Cornwall/Devon, North Wales, Edinburgh (Scotland).  Excuse me, if I have missed any specific areas where it is also truly obscene.  Absolute nightmare for anyone who has to rent, and is not superrich (probably not renting).

• Like 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

The link doesn't answer the question that you are so clearly trying to avoid.

I'll answer for you. The Democrats are responsible for the lack of housing as well as the massive influx of immigrants. See, wasn't that difficult was it? 😃

You mean the link doesn’t support your ill informed and preconceived ideas, which incidentally are void of any evidence or backup.

You mean the link doesn’t support your ill informed and preconceived ideas, which incidentally are void of any evidence or backup.

No I mean the link does address the fact that the Democrats are responsible for the lack of housing and the massive influx of immigrants.