What Is Wrong With Me?

samran

Landed last night at 10pm alone.

- I bought a nice bottle of Veuve Clinquot(sp?) champers from King power for 1750 baht, including the yellow cover. Nice price I would have thought in this part of the world.

- Immigration was easy to find, though I have a Thai passport, so the queue was three deep versus about 10 for your nasty foreigners.

- Bags came off quickly and the carousel was easy to find.

- Walked past the red counter at customs, with signs in about 8 differnent languages telling me my duty free limits. Nice to know in case I was over the limit and needed to dump stuff.

- Looking farang (I don't look Thai), intentionally trying to look lost and dressed in my best "I'm on holiday" clothes I went through the green line. No b@stard pulled me over.

- Walked out into arrivals, past the AOT limo, who asked me politely in English if I wanted a limo into town, and I politely answered "no thanks".

- I stopped at the SCB excange in front of the exit and still in the roped off area to change my money and advertise myself to every potential b@stard and scammer to try it on

- Walked out of the roped off area. No b@stard tried it on me. I walked very slowly. Still no b@stard tried it on. I was very disappointed. I even turned around for them to have one last go. Still no luck.

- I took my trolley down the travellator. Bluudy wheels safely locked into the grooves on the travellator. No way for my trolly to career out of control down to the bottom and wiping people out.

- Taxi desks were easy to find.

- Lady pointed out that it was a 50 baht surcharge into town. I spoke to her in English and have an Australian accent.

- Taxi man turned on the meter without asking.

- I arrived home safely.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You smug bastardos...

I can't believe a quality individual such as yourself would drink that cheap fizzy wine. If you can afford to fly then surely you can afford to pay a little bit extra for a Krug!

Much as I'd like to slag the airport off, they seem to be consistently improving things since opening too soon for political reasons.

- I bought a nice bottle of Veuve Clinquot(sp?) champers from King power for 1750 baht, including the yellow cover. Nice price I would have thought in this part of the world.

.I spoke to her in English and have an Australian accent.

It's easy really.They felt sorry for you........

1)Australian

2)No taste in fizzy.Should have gone for a Dom or a Krug..

:o

You smug bastardos...

I can't believe a quality individual such as yourself would drink that cheap fizzy wine. If you can afford to fly then surely you can afford to pay a little bit extra for a Krug!

Much as I'd like to slag the airport off, they seem to be consistently improving things since opening too soon for political reasons.

Quality individual?? Ha ha...I'm a consultant by 'trade' and a mod on TV. In some peoples eyes, I'm the lowest of the low.....My taste in the fizzy stuff is pretty limited, and funnily enough, the veuve is the only stuff I can stomach.

Smug maybe. But I went out of my way last night to get hasseled/scammed/ripped off just to please you fellas. It all came to nought!

Pity then, I'll just have to wait for my next trip down to OZ for the morons at customs there to hassel me.

- Immigration was easy to find, though I have a Thai passport, so the queue was three deep versus about 10 for your nasty foreigners.

I don't think anyone has complained about Immigration being difficult to locate it's just that the queue is ridiculously long and slow. Also, you're using a thai passport which makes most of your comments on that irrelevant.

..which is usually a basic function of an airport and not praiseworthy.

- Walked past the red counter at customs, with signs in about 8 differnent languages telling me my duty free limits. Nice to know in case I was over the limit and needed to dump stuff.

Hit or miss. The hassling and con games are inconsistent.

- Looking farang (I don't look Thai), intentionally trying to look lost and dressed in my best "I'm on holiday" clothes I went through the green line. No b@stard pulled me over.

See above.

- Walked out into arrivals, past the AOT limo, who asked me politely in English if I wanted a limo into town, and I politely answered "no thanks".

I haven't seen anyone report problems with aggressive selling by AOT limo just misleading signage.

- I stopped at the SCB excange in front of the exit and still in the roped off area to change my money and advertise myself to every potential b@stard and scammer to try it on

Just the location and the fact that dozens of barely employed somchais are milling about looking at your wad of cash is just waiting for an incident to occur.

- I took my trolley down the travellator. Bluudy wheels safely locked into the grooves on the travellator. No way for my trolly to career out of control down to the bottom and wiping people out.

Only one person complained about that and I believe he was on medication.

Another basic function of any airport that is not praiseworthy.

Other people have reported much different results. I have also been asked to pay flat rate before.

You smug bastardos...

'e purchased it for 'er indoors. :o

I really have to agree with wintermute Samran. It says a lot of how low our expectations have become if you are heaping praise on the latest, most expensive airport in Asia, for doing an adequate one-off job upon your arrival. :o

I think you've slightly missed my point. I don't think you'll ever find me heaping praise on an airport. I travel too often for that. I'd rather be home with my wife and my little one.

What I did find though was it was painless. Won't deny at all there were teething problems due to the premature opening. But the place seems to work fine now...

name='samran' date='2007-08-05 11:04:21' post='1456171']

What I did find though was it was painless. Won't deny at all there were teething problems due to the premature opening. But the place seems to work fine now...

Thanks for the giggle this morning.

I have to stick with samran on this one, I have only ever had one problem at the new joint and that was too much red and then a 30 minute wait at passport control whilst they added up days in passports. By my turn I had my legs crossed and the whites of my eyes had turned yellow. Otherwise never a problem even at the other end no dramas with having taxis pushed on me or whatever.

Although i did arrive oneday wearing a shirt that said XXXXX project Hook Up and Commissioning TEAM written on it, I was asked if I was a Soccer (Football) team player...I said yes and ended up with a line of people following me.

I really have to agree with wintermute Samran. It says a lot of how low our expectations have become if you are heaping praise on the latest, most expensive airport in Asia, for doing an adequate one-off job upon your arrival. :o

I think you've slightly missed my point. I don't think you'll ever find me heaping praise on an airport. I travel too often for that. I'd rather be home with my wife and my little one.

I was exaggerating that you were heaping praise, yet it is remarkable that we are even discussing airports isn't it? They should just work, get you from a to b, and then be forgotten (apart from enjoying the lounges). Also, apart from the growing pains, I find this airport annoying in the long walks, which appear unfixable. No trains like HK and others. Bad planning.

As long as I'm at it, the metal chairs at all the gates are uncomfortable and cold, and the corrugated metal ramps are noisy and create resistance when pulling a laptop bag on wheels.

Finally, the long walking escalators have badly spaced grooves, that catch on the wheels of my recently-bought, state of the art, Kensington laptop roll-on. This results in my walking the entire distances outside the escalators, or change to the heavier, roller-blade older technology laptop bags. So much for staying ahead of the curve....

And, the air-con is spotty throughout the airport with hot and cold spots. I find myself and other business travelers in the know hugging the air-con stations at the departure gate.

So, apart from a relatively long list of minor annoyances like those, I don't have any complaints with this shiny new airport. Although, I'm fortunate enough to always have access to the airline lounges, so I don't have to spend too much time in those metal contraptions called seats at the gates like others.

No complaints at all with HK and SG. None. (well, HK immigration lines can be long)

True, Nice post Chinthee.

The taxis are a joke, just the other side of immagration.

Had to ask for my change 400 Baht 3 times from the rude staff.

When you pay 2600 baht for a taxi you dont like to be Fcuked about by people.

they wanted me to give all the staff a 100 baht tip.

They all got Zero for that stunt.

Unreal

Edited by cubes2

Yea but when you watch how some of the travel weary grumpy unsmiling people behave when ordering their taxis, the tone of the voice and general demeanor, it's no surprise they get a frosty or bad reception from the staff.

Cry me a river this is something that service personnel in every country have to deal with. Thais aren't some kind of mythical exception in how they treat paying customers.

I think that's right; it does now function adequately, with the inevitable hiccups that every facility experiences. It just looks like sh1t after only 10 months. In ten years....well probably time to build a new one by then.

Oh well, worth a try samran :o

I am not a business traveller so don't have alot to compare, and don't consider myself an average traveller to Thailand as I do speak Thai and do understand the score so don't have much to complain about taxis or touts as a simple answer in Thai always suffices. As for tourists, well, so far, we haven't had a single guest at our small bungalow resort complain about being ripped off by taxis, taxi touts or airport limousines.

On the negative side, my flights always arrive in the middle of the night, or leave very early morning and the airport at that time is absolutely freezing. I do not hug the air con units but try to avoid them. And the metal seats at the departure area are awful. Cold and hard.

Otherwise, I have never had a problem with the new airport in the 3 times I have used it since it opened. Immigration lines are long everywhere I go, so to me its just a matter of exhibiting a bit of patience. I am going to have to wait for my luggage to come off the carousel anyway so not sure what the big deal is about where I do the waiting.

Although I did arrive shortly after it opened to find a leak in the ceiling near the Bangkok Air departure lounge. Must say it surprised me as the airport was so new but upon return this year, no apparent leaks.

- Walked out of the roped off area. No b@stard tried it on me. I walked very slowly. Still no b@stard tried it on. I was very disappointed. I even turned around for them to have one last go. Still no luck.

- Lady pointed out that it was a 50 baht surcharge into town. I spoke to her in English and have an Australian accent.

- I arrived home safely.

Pretty much exactly the same experience I always have and I have been through Suvarn arrivals about 15 times this year.

So this new airport is not so bad afterall .

Personally I enjoyed travelling through SB rather then the old one.

But I had a direct flight to Chiangmai after . So no long taxi drive, if had probably

would complain some more. :o

Arrived at Suva Monday noon. Thought I would get a quick taxi at the top level (departure), avoiding the sometimes queue at the normal taxi stand on the first floor. Bad experience. After letting me in the driver started out and then announced it would be a non-meter 400 Baht to Sukhumvit Road22. I said no and asked to be let out. He then relented, turned the meter on but said I had to pay the 50 Baht "Security Surcharge". Told him there was no such thing , that the surcharge are for taxis down below but by then we were leaving the airport and I reluctantly agreed. After insisting on going his own longer road he finally delivered me home and asked for an extra 100 Baht. I gave the agreed-upon 50 Baht "surcharge" only. Never again will I take a taxi from the Departure level. They're not allowed to pick up fares there, anyway, and I paid for having tried to beat the system...

I would also say that comparing it ONLY to SG and HK is not fair.

Compare it to most of the european hubs and it will win every time. I don't know about american airports but judging on the comments made here not much difference with europe.

I have yet to experience an airport that really makes me say : wow!, and that includes Changi.

cheers

onzestan

Arrived at Suva Monday noon. Thought I would get a quick taxi at the top level (departure), avoiding the sometimes queue at the normal taxi stand on the first floor. Bad experience. After letting me in the driver started out and then announced it would be a non-meter 400 Baht to Sukhumvit Road22. I said no and asked to be let out. He then relented, turned the meter on but said I had to pay the 50 Baht "Security Surcharge". Told him there was no such thing , that the surcharge are for taxis down below but by then we were leaving the airport and I reluctantly agreed. After insisting on going his own longer road he finally delivered me home and asked for an extra 100 Baht. I gave the agreed-upon 50 Baht "surcharge" only. Never again will I take a taxi from the Departure level. They're not allowed to pick up fares there, anyway, and I paid for having tried to beat the system...

With all due respect

What are you thinking getting into a taxi with out discussing the Price?

Or if the meter is on or off.

Not to smart mate.

Edited by cubes2

With all due respect

What are you thinking getting into a taxi with out discussing the Price?

Or if the meter is on or off.

Not to smart mate.

Yeah, but I was caught by surprise since in Metro BKK one never has to discuss price or meter or no meter, only ask the driver if he agrees on the destination. I never had this no meter problem to and from the airport before.

I arrived at the airport on Sunday night. Flight landed at 11.35 from Tokyo, and I was fully expecting long queues at immigration given that I'm aware many of the Sex Tourist Express Flights from the US and Australia arrive around this time.

But, no.

There were only two people ahead of me in my queue. My bag was out three minutes later and I was on my way through customs. A nice looking girl in a yellow jacket asked if I needed a taxi and I politely declined, preferring to go down to the meter taxi rank.

Again, no queues there. I was in a taxi with the meter working and home in Sukhumvit 11 by a quarter past midnight.

Like another poster, I've been through the airport maybe 15-20 times since it opened. That has pretty much been my experience every time, except once when the immigration queues were backed up for 20 minutes.

I wonder if the airport authorities know when wintermute is travelling, and tease him deliberately.

I wonder if the airport authorities know when wintermute is travelling, and tease him deliberately.

Look out. Here he comes. Quick, close down those immigration desks, waken up the taxi touts ...oh! and get that crooked customs guy here on the double, and for God's sake get that luggage carousel to break down!! :o

- I arrived home safely.

and had another nice big joint?  :o

far out man...

Rich

chinthee said:

the metal chairs at all the gates are uncomfortable and cold

so, so true. DM was so comfortable in comparison... , comfy seats, lighting that didn't give you a head ache & carpet.

+ ofcourse train into or out of BKK for 10bht.