AIS fiber 2gb connection (symmetric fiber) came with a 1gbs port on the ONT! How to change?

Stevie559

Hi, like many of you I bought the faster possible internet from AIS which corresponds to 2gb up and down with almost no contention. It's brilliant. 

BUT they ship it with a single human ac 5400 HPS11 which act not just as a router/ap, but also as an ONT!!!! imagine my surprise when I realized the WAN port was only 1gig, as opposed to the 2.5gb to get the max possible speed when say, using it in bridge mode or just disabling it together. 

So as I'm sure you guessed, my question is : have any of you tried to replace it entirely with a decent little ONT box with a 2.5gb port so I can plug that directly into a proper WIFI7 mesh network of my own design.

THank you!

• Sad 1

Maybe they sold you a 1up+1down =2 plan ?

😉

The WAN port is an optical termination, not a typical ethernet cable port.

Have you tested the ISP equipment yet  to see what it is capable of ?

The ISP will have to replace it or downgrade your plan because they cannot provide the equipment or it may be that their upstream equipment does not support 2Gbit symmetrical service yet and they sent you what they can support.

36 minutes ago, degrub said:

😉

The ISP will have to replace it or downgrade your plan because they cannot provide the equipment or it may be that their upstream equipment does not support 2Gbit symmetrical service yet and they sent you what they can support.

this is one those (dumb) engagement posts
but yes, AIS clearly advertise the AX5400 which does have 2.5Gbps port
not the AC5400 like the engagement post is stating
no point wasting your time here for a non existent issue

21 hours ago, patman30 said:

this is one those (dumb) engagement posts
but yes, AIS clearly advertise the AX5400 which does have 2.5Gbps port
not the AC5400 like the engagement post is stating
no point wasting your time here for a non existent issue

TF is an engagement post lol . 

Anyways you are correct, even thought the router itself show "5400", it's an HFS11 from human with a 2.5gbps wan port. AFAIK all the lans are at 1gb only. Meaning, if I wanted to get rid of that POS, I would need to replace it with a PON box. I see it's possible to buy them on shopee, but I'm unsure what to do . Maybe you have some sort of advice. Thank you 

22 hours ago, degrub said:

😉

Yeah tested it - its wifi 6e and it sucks - sure the 2.4ghz signal is pretty good around a big house, but it drops randomly at the worst possible time (mid streaming, mid game, etc). 

I want to get rid of it, so I was thinking, 2 options:
a) I disable all the crap on it including SSIDs, DNS, etc. , then I plug proper gear (Unifi) into the lan ports. 
b) I get rid of it and find a good PON box. 

Problem I have is a) means keeping a POS in the loop lol, having this 2000 bath thing in the middle of a pro unifi setup is ridiculous 🙂. As for b) I have no idea how the thai ISP functions, I'm from the UK, and it seems they are hiding the PPOE details. 

If you have any advice please let me know. 

PS: I'm not sure what the next poster is on about regarding 'engagement posts'. - if it makes anyone feel better I can post pictures of the setup. 

I would ask AIS if they can provide a separate ONT and separate router ( if they require one ) with 2.5 Gbit Wan/Lan ports. You may have to ask for higher level support to get a straight answer. Alternatively, see if they supply business service and equipment. 

btw, what do you have that can saturate a 1 Gbit/s lan ?

Realize that most servers you connect to over the internet will only give you 100Mbit/s bandwidth max. Everthing else is buffering.

if you are not running a server that is internet facing, leaving the AIS router in place without or with its wireless radios enabled and running your own gear behind it should not have any issues with double nat. Just downgrade your service back to 1Gbit/s.

Edited by degrub

8 hours ago, Stevie559 said:

Meaning, if I wanted to get rid of that POS, I would need to replace it with a PON box.

As @degrub says above speak to them and ask to change the package to BYOD - https://www.ais.th/en/consumers/fibre/package/byod

Although it says that is only 1 up and obviously confirm that you will be able to get 2Gbps down

According to the blurb you just get 

Free! Whole Home WiFi Service Smart Optical Converter (2.5 Gbps)  rental value 2,000 Baht.

Then attach what you want to it as it should just act a s a "bridge"

8 hours ago, degrub said:

I would ask AIS if they can provide a separate ONT and separate router ( if they require one ) with 2.5 Gbit Wan/Lan ports. You may have to ask for higher level support to get a straight answer. Alternatively, see if they supply business service and equipment. 

btw, what do you have that can saturate a 1 Gbit/s lan ?

Realize that most servers you connect to over the internet will only give you 100Mbit/s bandwidth max. Everthing else is buffering.

if you are not running a server that is internet facing, leaving the AIS router in place without or with its wireless radios enabled and running your own gear behind it should not have any issues with double nat. Just downgrade your service back to 1Gbit/s.

500 Gbps is plenty....

Reliability and stability is far more important than these Gbps numbers, which are bogus, if you can't get stability and reliability.