Baroness Warsi Resigns from Tory Party Amid Investigation into 'Divisive' Remarks

Social Media

image.png

Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, Britain's first Muslim Cabinet minister, resigned from the Conservative Party last night after the party initiated an investigation into comments deemed “divisive.” Warsi, who has long been a prominent figure in British politics, announced her departure from the party, citing its shift towards the “far Right” as the primary reason for her decision.

Warsi, who was appointed to the Cabinet in 2010 by then-Prime Minister David Cameron, faced recent scrutiny for her public comments. Earlier this month, she openly celebrated the acquittal of a protester who had been accused of carrying a placard that referred to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Home Secretary Suella Braverman as “coconuts.” The term "coconut" is widely seen as a racist slur, suggesting a person of color is betraying their community by aligning with white interests. Warsi's subsequent tweet, in which she posted a picture of herself drinking from a coconut, sparked further controversy and led to complaints within the Conservative Party.

Kemi Badenoch, a prominent Tory leadership candidate, confirmed that complaints had been lodged following Warsi's tweet. In response to the situation, a Conservative Party spokesperson stated, “Complaints were received regarding divisive language allegedly used by Baroness Sayeeda Warsi. Baroness Warsi was informed an investigation was about to begin earlier this week. We have a responsibility to ensure that all complaints are investigated without prejudice.”

Reacting to the investigation, Lady Warsi took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to express her deep disappointment with the direction the Conservative Party has taken. "It is with a heavy heart that I have today informed my whip and decided for now to no longer take the Conservatives’ whip," she wrote. Warsi emphasized that her decision to resign was not taken lightly. “This is a sad day for me. I am a Conservative and remain so, but sadly the current party are far removed from the party I joined and served in Cabinet,” she explained.

Warsi voiced her frustration with what she perceived as a growing divide within the party and its treatment of different communities. “My decision is a reflection of how far Right my party has moved and the hypocrisy and double standards in its treatment of different communities,” she stated. Adding to her statement, Warsi declared, “I will not be gagged on a point of principle. And I am not prepared to play games behind closed doors.”

Baroness Warsi’s resignation comes just days before the release of her upcoming book, *Muslims Don’t Matter*, which is expected to explore issues of identity and representation in British society.

Based on a report from: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-28

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

12 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, Britain's first Muslim Cabinet minister, resigned from the Conservative Party last night after the party initiated an investigation into comments deemed “divisive.” Warsi, who has long been a prominent figure in British politics, announced her departure from the party, citing its shift towards the “far Right” as the primary reason for her decision.

Warsi, who was appointed to the Cabinet in 2010 by then-Prime Minister David Cameron, faced recent scrutiny for her public comments. Earlier this month, she openly celebrated the acquittal of a protester who had been accused of carrying a placard that referred to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Home Secretary Suella Braverman as “coconuts.” The term "coconut" is widely seen as a racist slur, suggesting a person of color is betraying their community by aligning with white interests. Warsi's subsequent tweet, in which she posted a picture of herself drinking from a coconut, sparked further controversy and led to complaints within the Conservative Party.

Kemi Badenoch, a prominent Tory leadership candidate, confirmed that complaints had been lodged following Warsi's tweet. In response to the situation, a Conservative Party spokesperson stated, “Complaints were received regarding divisive language allegedly used by Baroness Sayeeda Warsi. Baroness Warsi was informed an investigation was about to begin earlier this week. We have a responsibility to ensure that all complaints are investigated without prejudice.”

Reacting to the investigation, Lady Warsi took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to express her deep disappointment with the direction the Conservative Party has taken. "It is with a heavy heart that I have today informed my whip and decided for now to no longer take the Conservatives’ whip," she wrote. Warsi emphasized that her decision to resign was not taken lightly. “This is a sad day for me. I am a Conservative and remain so, but sadly the current party are far removed from the party I joined and served in Cabinet,” she explained.

Warsi voiced her frustration with what she perceived as a growing divide within the party and its treatment of different communities. “My decision is a reflection of how far Right my party has moved and the hypocrisy and double standards in its treatment of different communities,” she stated. Adding to her statement, Warsi declared, “I will not be gagged on a point of principle. And I am not prepared to play games behind closed doors.”

Baroness Warsi’s resignation comes just days before the release of her upcoming book, *Muslims Don’t Matter*, which is expected to explore issues of identity and representation in British society.

Based on a report from: Daily Telegraph 2024-09-28

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

proud of you,they dont like the truth,you do !