New To Golf And New To Thailand

drivingmecrazy

Hi guys,

Have just arrived in Thailand and have found the urge to take up the sport of golf! I would like to do an introductory course to get me into the game. I am based in Bangkok but would be happy to go to Hua Hin or Pattaya to learn. Anyway - if anyone has any advice of beginners courses or the prices i am likely to pay or any contact details they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Welcome!!!! Enjoy every moment. It's the best country on earth for the beautiful game (excuse my exuberance). I can't recommend a pro, but every course is a delight and a learning experience in many ways. Don't splash too much on your first set of clubs. You'll know when/if it's time to step things up.

I'm sure other contributors will give you more specific advice.

Since you don't yet know how to play golf, it is probably best for you to find the driving range nearest to your house and go in and tell them you would like to take lessons and want to talk to a pro that speaks Englsh (these days most speak some English). Lessons normally are anywhere from a few hundred baht per hour to over a thousand, up to you. Best to get some lessons under your belt and ask the pro about cheap or second hand clubs and also where someone your level should play.

Have fun.

Hey man I have just taken this up myself in the last month and am truly awful (but have enough good shots to keep me coming back) am also based in Bangkok.

Get lessons, I improved a lot by taking them up, but now I have to 'not think about them too much'.

Best place for cheap / secondhand clubs will be Thaniya Plaza.

I play at the driving range and at the Mahboonkrong International on Tiwanon Road near Chaeng Wattana. Its a 9 hole course and each hole is a par 3 between between 90-150 yards. Its good to start with and is certainly a challenge to fellow duffers like myself :o

I have just started taking lessons too, although not a complete beginner I was very very poor and the driving range pro picked up on what was wrong with my swing after me hitting only 2 or 3 balls! It really is a good feeling to have everything work together and that ball goes sailing down the driving range. I have now booked a set of 10 lessons to try and get to a semi decent standard.

Can anyone recommend any good books on improving your swing or instructional DVD's?

• 1 month later...

yeah me too,a beginner. I never take lesson , i learn golf from Tigerwood PGA game (play station2 ) and observing ppl at driving range heheh its works! i hve been to 18 holes for about 5 times now. getting better but still bad in putting. anyway i play it for about 3 months now. and usually go to Mueng Ake golf course (not easy...) which is near home .

Hi guys,

Have just arrived in Thailand and have found the urge to take up the sport of golf! I would like to do an introductory course to get me into the game. I am based in Bangkok but would be happy to go to Hua Hin or Pattaya to learn. Anyway - if anyone has any advice of beginners courses or the prices i am likely to pay or any contact details they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I am new to the game myself but really enjoying the days out. I go to the RCA driving range and i take lessons from a guy called Khun Amnart. He has improved my game tremendously so i think thst the money is well spent. He charges B1000 per hour, speaks Engilsh and is very patient. He has to be if he's teaching me.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Rick

Always, but, always take golf lessons.

Take a set of at least ten(one or two per week). Inbetween go to the driving range and practice what was taught to you last.

If you're enthusiastic enough and practice you should be down to under 25 handicap.

enjoy the best sport eva.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to go hi-tec, there is also Wilding Golf on Suk Soi 19.

TH

That looks impessive..have you used it?

I see that there is also one just off Samakee Road.. do you know if it is idential to the one in Soi 19?

Have never been, did meet the pro at our club. He had taken one of his students out (her father is a member). Seemed like a nice guy. Think he was Australian.

TH

• 3 months later...