Turning Down The Full Expat Deal In Thailand

GuestHouse

Turning down the full expat deal in Thailand  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been working in Saudi since the last 15 years and the biggest danger one has to face is probably the traffic which is worse then in Thailand.

Other than that it's not so bad. Home made booze is widely available and if you really want to push it, women are available as well. :o

Syria ain't to bad either and in comparison to Saudi everything (booze, girls & drugs) are widely available. The people are friendly enough but always looking for an extra buck to make which makes working there a bit more strenuous in comparison to Saudi.

At least in Saudi the job doesn't stop because the crane operator is looking for an extra hand-out like in Syria. :D

Now don't come asking for sympathy if you got caught and are sentenced to capital punishment!

• 1 month later...
I signed on the line yesterday for 15 months in the dusty desert (Saudi Arabia) and in doing so turned down 30+ months of assignment (Plus full expat deal) in Thailand.

'Well' I thought 'I've been there, done that and I've got the T-shirt (not to mention a delightfull Thai wife)'.

I'm pleased to say, my wife thought the same (and yes I did ask her for her opinion before I signed).

Fair enough. Personally I wouldn't be choosing somewhere for the money, tho' it makes a lot of sense for some people. Think there's also a lot to be said for moving on if you've been here for a while, and want to keep an open mind as to what you want from life. Plenty of reasons to move on as well. Also gives you and your family different perspectives/experiences, and it's good to get out of your comfort zone sometimes.

We've just done 2 years away from Thailand. Definitely helps put the country in perspective, looking from the outside in. It's also easier to see the changes that have happened/are happenng. Plus a chance to see and learn/grow in other places.

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by fletchthai68

Thank you flech, money of course was not the only motivation, and some of the issues you mention did play a part in our thinking.

GH ,

How old are you?

When do you plan to retire?

Cheers

I'm as old as my eyes and a little bit older than my teeth.

I'd like to retire in my mid fifties - perhaps not retire altogether, maybe be a bit more choosy about the projects I work on, or perhaps do something completely different (a second career so to speak).

I am thoroghly enjoying the job here in Saudi, and when things go along well in the office I start to thinking I'd like to do a bit more of a career gigg.. Let's see how it goes.

Retirement will certainly not be 'escaping' from the grindstone - I don't see work that way.

Edited by GuestHouse

so he can boost his ego by writing about it on internet forums.

The whole point of this thread isn't it? Showing off about what kind of work he can turn down.

Exactly. I will agree with the OP that he is not a workaholic, as those types would not waste time on Internet forums, even to boost their egos.

salaries and benefits are always higher/better in the middle east than in SEA...and I'd rather work for an arab client than an asian one anyday...

I suppose it depends on your line of work. I have done a couple of contracts in H.K and one in Vietnam for Japanese outfits and the packages were very good. I am now in Kashmir putting a tunnel through the mountains and I am getting around double the salary that similar positions are paying on the Dubai metro project. OK Kashmir involves a small risk but the HK and Nam jobs were still a lot better paid than they are now paying in Dubai.

On the original point. I would take a 20% pay cut to swap the next 3 years here for a project in Thailand

The whole point of this thread isn't it? Showing off about what kind of work he can turn down.

Crabs in a bucket

On the original point. I would take a 20% pay cut to swap the next 3 years here for a project in Thailand

Indeed and many people would - that is why pay deals for expats in Thailand have gone through the floor.

R&R in Thailand next month will do me nicely.

Crabs in a bucket

Indeed and many people would - that is why pay deals for expats in Thailand have gone through the floor.

R&R in Thailand next month will do me nicely.

I can see your point GH but 20% less than I am getting now would still be 30% more than similar jobs are paying in Dubai and aprox 60% more than the UK. Quality of life is also an issue and in Kashmir there is no life at all.

I was going to vote "it depends how good of a deal it is", but then I realized we have no reference points to compare.

The suspense is killing me, could you provide specifics on the packages for each place? Compensation? Living accomodations/services/amenities/vacations/etc.?

You are in an enviable position IMO, where you can't lose either way.

Good luck!

As anyone in the O&G business will tell you, the slumps are long and the booms are short. This boom has done wonders for the pay-packet. Make it while you can because booms end.

go where the money is i say ,you can come back to thailand anytime ,your doolars will be welcomed. :o

Hmmm, 18 months is a long time to leave a place like Thailand that you seem to enjoy. If money is the driving factor then, I guess, it comes down to how much you need the extra cash.

I would probably choose SA even if the money wasn't better. Never been to SA and the opportunity to experience a culture dramatically different than the West would be exciting. Can't imagine staying longer than the 18 month contract, but it would be interesting if nothing else.

I signed on the line yesterday for 15 months in the dusty desert (Saudi Arabia) and in doing so turned down 30+ months of assignment (Plus full expat deal) in Thailand.

'Well' I thought 'I've been there, done that and I've got the T-shirt (not to mention a delightfull Thai wife)'.

I'm pleased to say, my wife thought the same (and yes I did ask her for her opinion before I signed).

It's already a done deal, so what's the point of discussion?

I was going go say you must be absolutely mad but then I realised the details we have about this thai position you turned down are rather sketchy. A lot of posters are assuming it was a dream position you turned down - but was it? Where was the location in Thailand? What's the % difference in packages on offer? Personally if the position was in Bangkok unless you were making 3+ times what you'd make in Thailand I wouldn't even consider the SA position. If it was in some dump somewhere where quality of living is not so good then the choice may be more understandable. I was recently asked if I was interested in a position in Riyadh - I didn't even bother asking about the package - no way would it persuade me to leave LOS.

Anyway - good luck with the move and take care in Saudi - as you'll already be aware by now its not the best time to be heading in that direction right now.

If you were single then obviously Thailand, for you would have more free time to go to the opera and so forth :o

However seeing as though you are not I would prob choose the one with more money.

Wish I could get a deal like that, always knew I should have stuck through uni :D

The number of contracts I've turned down in Saudi is in double figures. I'll often get phone calls from agents offering me roles over there - my first question is where is it? As soon as the word Saudi is mention . . no thanks.

It's not somewhere I could ever consider living - the very idea of living in a compound makes my skin crawl! So not only do I have to work with these people but I have to live in the same place as well . . . no way!

Also then there is the 'restrictions' due to religion.

• 7 months later...

As somebody who knows nothing about being an expat in Saudi can I ask why foreigners there live in compounds? Is it by choice or because of restrictions?

Personally I think it would be really interesting to live there for a while. And if you are making some extra cash out of it, well that's a bonus.

Edited by burman

Congrats on the job.

I don't think you're mad for turning down a good expat deal in Thailand. There's much more to life than Thailand and much more important things than an expat deal and money.

On the other hand I've very little desire to go to Saudi. It would have to be an out of this world offer to tempt me there for anything over a week, and not just financially speaking.

I'm sure you've thought it all out though. Key is you've put yourself in a position to make choices.

Good luck to you and your family. Enjoy :o

Someone has resurrected a thread that is nearly a year old.....

Indeed they have, and a year flies by - only yesterday I was discussing my demobilization with our Project Director - Turn-Over is in sight and so is my completion bonus.

Congrats on the job.

I don't think you're mad for turning down a good expat deal in Thailand. There's much more to life than Thailand and much more important things than an expat deal and money.

On the other hand I've very little desire to go to Saudi. It would have to be an out of this world offer to tempt me there for anything over a week, and not just financially speaking.

I'm sure you've thought it all out though. Key is you've put yourself in a position to make choices.

Good luck to you and your family. Enjoy :o

As I suggest above, my work on this project here in Saudi Arabia is nearly, I had a meeting to discuss close out and completion yesterday, a chance to set things in motion for my next project and reflect on what has been a very enjoyable (and rewarding) assignment.

A few months to go and then on to........

Being in the O&G Biz. Would never return to S A, or Nigeria (Delta). At the moment working in Oz and living Thailand, believe I have the best combination.

Saudi gin was one of the vilest, worst homemade hooch ever, along with the disdain the Saudis had for you. Handing drawings, documents with their left hand etc, etc.

Nigerian corruption has to be experienced. If not you have no idea/comprehension on how bad/blatant it is.

The above places make LOS an oasis of tranquility. :o