Turning Down The Full Expat Deal In Thailand

GuestHouse

Turning down the full expat deal in Thailand  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I signed on the line yesterday for 15 months in the dusty desert (Saudi Arabia) and in doing so turned down 30+ months of assignment (Plus full expat deal) in Thailand.

'Well' I thought 'I've been there, done that and I've got the T-shirt (not to mention a delightfull Thai wife)'.

I'm pleased to say, my wife thought the same (and yes I did ask her for her opinion before I signed).

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you like homemade beer and the hangovers that go with it, the current heat 50+c in the sun, high 40’s in the shade and the humid season just starting. Aircon is a wonderful invention.

Enjoy your time, it’s a real eye-opener. Just don’t let the local way of life get you down too much. Jai yen yen is the word of the day.

Expat packages are like rocking horse sht these days! They are usually pretty lucrative packages but some say the Saudi packages aren't what they used to be.

I mosey on up to the Construction Office asking for one to Azer. and Kazak. but I just get the old 'Stay in the North Sea fields, thats where you're needed most! Projects, projects, projects. Get those projects completed!'

All well and good, but the North Sea can be cccccoooold and blowing gales like theres no tomorrow! Sunny, sexy Thailand looks damned fine from the bleak oil rigs!

Personally I'd choose Thailand over Saudi any day of the week. However, without knowing if the salary was any different or the perks any nicer it can be a hard call to make. The money you save in Saudi will have you smiling when you come back to Thailand though.

What is it exactly that you do?

From your previous posts I notice that you have a hand in the Oil and Gas industry side of things as well.

So I guess you're in Survey or Engineering/Consultant?

The thai package must have been lousy to turn it down

The Thai Package was..... let's say 'very comfortable', but not quite as good as the Rome Package was.

[/qu Make the money while you can, where you can,

LOS will always be here when you want to spend some.

Good Luck,

It's so nice when you meet someone who understands.

I lived in Saudi before moving to Thailand and hated it. I worked in a Riyadh hospital so maybe it will be better for you. When I moved there they gave me a calendar in the shape of a camel so I could tick off the days and this is what most people I knew did. I travelled to other compounds and the favorite subject was usually everyone's departure date. I will never move somewhere again just for the sake of money.

Best of luck though.

I signed on the line yesterday for 15 months in the dusty desert (Saudi Arabia) and in doing so turned down 30+ months of assignment (Plus full expat deal) in Thailand.

'Well' I thought 'I've been there, done that and I've got the T-shirt (not to mention a delightfull Thai wife)'.

I'm pleased to say, my wife thought the same (and yes I did ask her for her opinion before I signed).

Good for you, I am sure your delightful wife will be in her element in SA desert, and of course being Thai she would have gone crazy had you accepted the offer of working in Thailand on a full expat package.

Best wishes. :o

Edited by Creeper

I wouldn't be expecting anything too exciting entertainment wise for your family. The most entertaining thing while I was there was a guy doing stunts on a motorbike, but he quickly got arrested by the religious police for making his bike dance. Perhaps you will find things to do in your compound. The only entertainment the Saudis seem to enjoy is the weekly executions and limb removals at chop-chop square. Enjoy.

No <deleted> soundman, in the early eighties if you were unlucky enough to be down the souk on the day of an excecution, flogging or hand chop then there was a good chance of being taken down to it by the police just to show you Saudi justice!!!!

The fact that the OP found it necessary to ask for our opinion about his choice, indicates to me that he himself is not entirely happy with his decision, and would like to have confirmation that he indeed made the right choice.

Well I'm not going to comment on that. You and only you know your priorities in life, and if you make a decision stick to it.

My input

onzestan

Sorry GH, I realize that my comments are very negative and of little use to you. The few people who I met that actually enjoyed Saudi were those that took an interest in the local culture and language. I was expected to speak Arabic because I dealt so much with the locals but I had no real interest in it and so didn't progress. From reading your previous posts it would appear that you are intellectually curious so perhaps there will be lots to keep you interested. I think that I finished every conversation there with the phrase; 'well, if they don't like it they can send me home' and so did most people I knew.

The ex-pats do try and make things as interesting as possible but be careful as many of these activities are illegal under Saudi law. A doctor from our hospital was flogged because they found alcohol in his car.

Good luck in the Magic Kingdom.

Edited by garro

I recently signed an "open-ended" contract with a different company in Afganistan (basically, I have a job until I quit/get fired or the company's contract ends).

I'd love a job that kept me in LoS, but at this stage in the game, the $$ would have to be d@mn good. My new deal will have me working in the 'stan for 3 months, then 1 month of (paid) holidays (with a paid flight home each time). 3 months of paid holidays per year, 3-5 years (or more ?) of well paid work plus other benefits.

Sure there are downsides, otherwise 3/4's of the world would be trying to work there (or the pay/benefits wouldn't be as good). The rocket attacks have been an annoyance more than anything. Not a lot of insects/snakes to worry about. You get used to the heat (eventually, just like getting used to the humidity here in LoS). Not a lot to do when you do have free time, but most people find ways to occupy their time (movies, books, language studies and ThaiVisa of course !). Most of the military contingents & civilians have to agree to a No Alcohol/No Fraternization policy, but I find that just gives me a chance to dry out (and "recharge") before my next holiday.

My situation is a little different though. Most of the civilians working on the camp are not allowed off the camp for any reason (mostly as a result of the insurance policies the various companies have). We fly directly in to/out of the camp, so are not exposed to "local environment" very much. With 10,000+ soldiers guarding the camp and local area, there isn't much chance for the bad guys to try anything (other than occasionally lobbing of improvised rockets in our general direction).

From what I've heard, life inside the ex-pat compounds in SA is fairly normal. It's when you leave the compound that you have to make major adjustments. And unlike some other places, they (the Saudis) aren't as lenient towards people that break the rules, even if they are ex-pats.

But if the work is good and the money worthwhile, the 15 months will pass quickly enough.

Could be worse, you could be going to the Sudan ! Buddy of mine went there a couple months ago. Their compound was (is) guarded by African Union troops. About a week after he arrived there was a firefight a short distance (2-3 kms) from the compound. Apparently all the AU troops loaded up in their trucks and left (in the other direction) leaving the compound and the civilians unguarded !

Kerryd, I wouldn't be to sure about the safety of compounds in Saudi Arabia. Our compound (Medical City) was fire bombed a few times and there were many bombs going off in the city which weren't reported in the News and this was before the war in Iraq part 2.

Since we have been given no details of either choice, how are we supposed to give any useful input? I guess that wasn't the point.

Hmmm, I've just read the OP & Poll questions (again) and it doesn't appear that GH is asking for our opinions on his decision (which has already been made).

He's asking what you would do in a similar situation. But yes, more information would be required in order to make such a decision. Each individual would have different reasons for making their decisions (wages, situations, family, etc).

I think the big question people would want to know, is if the job in Thailand (with the Full ExPat deal) is still open ! :o

It would be also useful to know where in the Magic Kingdom. The muttawa (religious police) are particularly obnoxious in Riyadh but apparently are less of a problem outside the capital.

Now that you have signed just go with the flow. Unless there is an escape clause.

Good luck. I am happy living In Thailand so it is one less person that I would have loved to have bought a drink for.

Oh well such is life. :o

A mixed bag of responses, which of course is what I was asking for, so thank you.

Thanks to Garro in particular for your comments, indeed we are intending to make the very best of this assignment, I'm going on a 'Total immersion' Arabic course in the next week to get me started on the language, and indeed I do hope to continue studying Arabic while there.

Money is not the only reason for going, as I say in my opening post 'We've done Thailand, got the T-shirt. Given that we are considering retiring in Thailand it seems to us better to enjoy life elsewhere now and move to Thailand in full financial security later.

There are other reasons to go, not least because I will be working on a very significant project with perhaps our most important client - In terms of carreer it is a must do. Just like this project gave us two years in Rome, completing a Saudi site assignment will open doors for other dream locations in the future.

My wife and family will be joining me because, shock horror, she wants to.