Thai Driving Licence renewal

My Thai licence is due for renewal soon. My current licence has my former address (in Korat) but I now live in Samui. Can i just update my address at the same time I do the renewal, or do i need to update the address first ? 
Also, what docs are required for (1) the address change, and (2) the licence renewal ??  

4 minutes ago, jimflan said:

My Thai licence is due for renewal soon. My current licence has my former address (in Korat) but I now live in Samui. Can i just update my address at the same time I do the renewal, or do i need to update the address first ? 
Also, what docs are required for (1) the address change, and (2) the licence renewal ??  

You'll need a certificate of residence (COR) from Immigration, that will take care of the different address issue. To renew your Thai DL all you'll need is your COR, PP, old license, some offices also want a medical certificate (they cost 100bt from any clinic) You'll also need to do a bit of a test. I recently renewed my 5-year license and I did an online thing where I watched videos for about an hour and answered questions. You need to d/l the app. If you've got a Thai GF or Thai friend ask them to help. Then when you go to renew your D/L there are a few more tests. 

13 minutes ago, grain said:

You'll need a certificate of residence (COR) from Immigration, that will take care of the different address issue. To renew your Thai DL all you'll need is your COR, PP, old license, some offices also want a medical certificate (they cost 100bt from any clinic) You'll also need to do a bit of a test. I recently renewed my 5-year license and I did an online thing where I watched videos for about an hour and answered questions. You need to d/l the app. If you've got a Thai GF or Thai friend ask them to help. Then when you go to renew your D/L there are a few more tests. 

Medicals are now mandatory for everyone. the few more tests are

Reaction tests,; traffic light colour test; brake test (stamp on a pedal as hard and as quick as you can when a red light shows (a bad driving technique IMO) ,; peripheral vision test, and a box with some white sticks that you must stop when together (suposed to represent an on coming vehicle)

I don't need glasses for driving but I do for that box thingy as I do for reading. Also if you have a yellow book/pink card you don't need a Letter Of Residence LOR (not COR)

Edited by brianthainess

12 minutes ago, grain said:

I did an online thing where I watched videos for about an hour and answered questions. You need to d/l the app

You  don't need to download an ap  just go to the  website with an ordinary web browser   https://www.dlt-elearning.com/

as always  some of the questions asked  come before the topic is covered in the video  and some are not covered in the video at all

I think I got all the car test questions correct  and know for sure I got 2 of the motorbike questions wrong  but  still got the training certificate...

to view the certificate they made it a bit confusing  by having to answer a customer satisfaction survey  and the save button  didn't work for me  with motorcycle  certificate so I took a screen capture  which was better resolution than  the*.png file the save button renders.

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Also if you have a yellow book/pink card you don't need a Letter Of Residence LOR (not COR)

Well you do at the Banglumung/ Pattaya (Chonburi) office.

they say they will except a work permit  which has an address in it too  but hear that new work permits don't include home address,don't know as I don't have one.

Just now, johng said:

Well you do at the Banglumung/ Pattaya (Chonburi) office.

they say they will except a work permit  which has an address in it too  but hear that new work permits don't include home address,don't know as I don't have one.

Yeh I had that problem once when registering a car, I got the wife to ring another office just out of Trat City, who said they do, so went there, to renew my License.

44 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

(stamp on a pedal as hard and as quick as you can when a red light shows (a bad driving technique IMO)

My driving instructor taught me about "Cadence braking" 

(he told me that you should stamp on the pedal as hard and fast as you can  ..just imagine its your bank managers head)

and it saved my bacon one day  while I was still a learner driver  sliding down an iced up hill  with a stalled engine and so no power steering  heading towards a line of parked cars on the other side of the road...  very nearly a disaster  just managed to avoid the cars and slide past them without hitting anything  bit of a miracle.