how should i export rice?

Hello. So I have a stable income stream but the budget is a little tight and I'm not opposed to teaching english but i rather do something else if possible. 

So anyways, my father in law is a rice farmer. I don't have the first clue about that business, but he sells to the local supplier in Surin.

I've visited this site here http://www.thairiceexporters.or.th/ I don't know much thai language(which im working on) I get the impression maybe the rice could fetch a higher price if i take it there instead of the local supplier.

My wife is being a little difficult right now and won't tell me any information about my father's in law farming. So I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

6 minutes ago, Peteblank said:

Hello. So I have a stable income stream but the budget is a little tight and I'm not opposed to teaching english but i rather do something else if possible. 

So anyways, my father in law is a rice farmer. I don't have the first clue about that business, but he sells to the local supplier in Surin.

I've visited this site here http://www.thairiceexporters.or.th/ I don't know much thai language(which im working on) I get the impression maybe the rice could fetch a higher price if i take it there instead of the local supplier.

My wife is being a little difficult right now and won't tell me any information about my father's in law farming. So I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

To be honest, my first reaction was forget about it.

Then after I thought for a while my second reaction was forget about it.

I would be amazed if any Thai would welcome interference of any sort in what they were doing.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Peteblank said:

Thank you, well i can write that off i guess.

Well hang back and see what others say.

I am only speaking from my own experience.....they do not like to be advised on what to do and certainly not by a farang.

Others might have different/better advice.

15 minutes ago, Peteblank said:

One way this might work is if you buy the rice at a slightly inflated price from your FIL.

You then sell on the rice, with the promise that if you make a further profit the FIL can have that profit.

He has a guaranteed sale at a better price than he is already getting.....with the prospect of even more money should things pan out.

The entire profit? Well the idea was we could all get something out of the arrangement. But I don't know how much he currently sells it for and how much it'd get on the export market and well like you pointed out i'd probably stand out in the market. I do want to help the father in law though but maybe this was a bad idea.

1 minute ago, Peteblank said:

The entire profit? Well the idea was we could all get something out of the arrangement. But I don't know how much he currently sells it for and how much it'd get on the export market and well like you pointed out i'd probably stand out in the market. I do want to help the father in law though but maybe this was a bad idea.

Bad idea maybe....but a nice thought.

The website you visited and posted the link to does actually have an english language option, but personally I would not waste my time , effort , or money  by getting involved.  Your wife is probably saying nothing because she knows nothing.

They don't make much money on rice,  most of then have no idea, The costs of producing it can be quite high too, which again few of them know much about as they rarely keep track of the expenses involved , Ie cost of fertiliser and irrigation if necessary.  

If you get involved it is likely that these costs will suddenly and magically increase dramatically, 

If you really have no idea about this or any other business you would be best advised to stay well away