Got a pigeon problem? Time to break out the LASER!!!

Crossy

11 minutes ago, flexomike said:

Thank you for the quick response, I wonder if it will work on a water monitor lizard,  he has been eating my gooose eggs, he makes a living eating them, shells everywhere. Almost got him in the goose house today but he got away. damn they are fast.

Apparently, reptile eyes are sensitive to blue/green so it might dissuade the beastie, but the call of food may be stronger.

Jinjoks will certainly chase the red-dot of a regular pointer in case it's potential food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Possibly not, our jinjoks will go after the red dot thinking it's edible.

i don't wish to go on a killing spree..just a deterrent..perhaps a 'soi dog zapper' would be better..do you have any knowledge/experience with them particularly range, as i need to shift the 'jingjoks' from eaves/guttering height..i daresay the loud discharge of electricity would be enough!

Got my BB gun delivered by the crew of a RTAF C-130.  My son in the USAF had contact with the RTAF during their TDY to Alaska on an exercise.  I picked it up at a designated building in downtown Bangkok.  Alas, pump action and not able to penetrate feathers.  A few head shots were kills.  We have two roofs above our 2nd story perpendicular to each other with a large gap, perfect for nesting pigeons.  Perhaps a few dozen gifting their crap, feathers, nesting material, eggs, and dead pigeons.  There is a gutter for the verandah but needing cleaning every three months or so.  Fifteen years cleaning.  I've tried netting, a whirlygig owl, the bb gun, and I cannot climb on the roof as I am disabled.  The laser would not have a line of sight from the verandah.  Suggestions are welcome.  If we connect the roofs and expose the pigeons to sunlight, rain, and wind that might work but those roof attachment seals will need maintenance.

On 10/9/2024 at 8:07 AM, Crossy said:

WARNING Lasers of the type indicated here can cause permanent eye damage. Common sense is required and no pointing at aircraft (they are not big silver birds), people or pets. Use the regular red pointers to amuse/annoy the cat.

Anyway.

A few weeks back Madam was moaning to the builder's merchant that pigeons roosting on our gable-end are, er, depositing on the patio roof which now has solar panels which really don't like pigeon poop.

He told her to use a laser pointer! Hmm.

A bit of research showed that laser bird scarers really are a thing. Apparently, the birds perceive the beam as a solid object and avoid it, no actual contact with the creatures and certainly not in their eyes, that would be unethical (even with pigeons). Green is the colour of choice for birds.

Commercial units are not exactly low-cost of course so it was time to do some shopping.

I ordered the most powerful, green "laser pointer" I spotted on Lazada. "3W" it says unlike your normal pointer of about 3mW!!

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i265013902-s411903063.html

The beast that arrived would not look out of place in the hands of Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi or Yoda!! Apparently green lightsabers are wielded by Jedi warriors.

aa37fe2b87dde8364b5f4c17b336ec9b.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.webp

It does come with diffusers to make pretty patterns, these are still in their plastic bag :whistling:

Charged the supplied 18640 Li-Ion battery on the supplied charger, time to test.

I checked the input power and I reckon the laser is nearer to 2W but so what!

It works like a charm, the birds see the beam coming and scatter, no need to actually hit them so no smell of barbecued pigeon. Walk around the house aiming towards the beasts a couple of times and they don't come back.

After a week of use at dusk when they are seeking somewhere to roost, we are now down to one or two each evening, Madam encourages them to leave (she's evidently got an evil streak).

It works at long range (commercial units of similar power claim several km), aimed at the next house over (100m or so) and their pigeons scattered too.

Crossy, Thanks so much for this article. It’s on order… We built a ‘modern loft’ house with cascading flat roofs and the pigeons seemingly wear hobnail boots - a nightmare 🤣 I’ll keep everyone posted on my Jedi success…

• Like 1

On 10/9/2024 at 2:50 PM, Crossy said:

Possibly not, our jinjoks will go after the red dot thinking it's edible.

Definately not. Tried with a cheap 100 baht pointer right in their eyes.....nothing.

In the end we just killed them all.....sorted.....until a new lot turn up.