Windows 10 support ends in a year . . .

BigStar

Some third-party solutions are emerging for those determined to stick with Windows 10. Companies like 0patch have announced plans to provide unofficial security updates for Windows 10 for several years beyond Microsoft's cutoff date, and as that time approaches, more vendors are likely to follow suit.

--Windows 10 support ends in a year, leaving users with difficult choices to make

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Some third-party solutions are emerging for those determined to stick with Windows 10. Companies like 0patch have announced plans to provide unofficial security updates for Windows 10 for several years beyond Microsoft's cutoff date, and as that time approaches, more vendors are likely to follow suit.

--Windows 10 support ends in a year, leaving users with difficult choices to make

Thanks. I have seen a number of articles recently as I think there is almost exactly a year to go.

I think I may be switching to Mint or similar for the majority of my usage depending on what other options surface in the interim.

Especially as MSN effectively switched off Outlook 2007 at some point in the last couple of weeks which I was using as an offline store :annoyed:.  Now switched that address to Thunderbird for that.

Fortunately Word and Excel don't need web access for me :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, topt said:

Thanks. I have seen a number of articles recently as I think there is almost exactly a year to go.

I think I may be switching to Mint or similar for the majority of my usage depending on what other options surface in the interim.

Especially as MSN effectively switched off Outlook 2007 at some point in the last couple of weeks which I was using as an offline store :annoyed:.  Now switched that address to Thunderbird for that.

Fortunately Word and Excel don't need web access for me :thumbsup:

I'm dual booting Linux now and may switch over in the event.

• Thumbs Up 1

They are not ending support for all Windows 10. Only for those versions not updated and old. 

However, they are ending support for certain versions of Windows 10, such as version 1909, which will no longer receive security updates after May 2022.

This is because Microsoft wants to focus on providing support for newer versions of Windows 10, which have better security features and performance improvements. It is important for users to keep their operating system up to date to ensure their security and protect against potential vulnerabilities.

Microsoft also offers free upgrades to newer versions of Windows 10 for eligible devices, so users can continue to receive support and security updates.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-would-microsoft-discontinue-windows-10/1827b6c9-8cf9-42e8-8f9a-8cb9f4321b5c

My ol' Lenovo Win10/i7 (8th or 9th gen)/16gb/1TB gaming laptop is struggling with speed...slow bootups & updates and lagging multitasking. Rendered unusable when Windows is updating. Decided the end of last year to replace it in 2025 when Win10 support is dropped.

3 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Perhaps you should worry if you hacked your Windows and are unable to update the version?

You won't be able to update your version, hacked or not. Support will end on October 14, 2025 for [all versions of] these editions of Windows 10:

• Windows 10 Enterprise & Education
  • Windows 10 Home & Pro
  • Windows 10 IoT Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2015
  • Windows 10 Team (Surface Hub)

Products reaching end of support on October 14, 2025

Edited by BigStar

Choices are, risk running an unpatched operating system with no security updates... - not a great idea if you're connecting to the internet with it.

Update to Windows 11. Can still be done even if you technically don't meet the minimum requirements, but probably only viable if it's not ridiculously old. I.e. I have a PC with a first gen Ryzen, and a Dell tiny PC hooked up to the TV that's 6th gen. They're probably candidates for that, although, for the Ryzen, I could just replace the processor.

Anything older than that, I've already replaced... But depending what you use it for..., Linux would work.

27 minutes ago, bkk_mike said:

Update to Windows 11. Can still be done even if you technically don't meet the minimum requirements, but probably only viable if it's not ridiculously old.

I think I read just recently that they closed that loophole as well, not that I would consider Windows 11 ever though.

29 minutes ago, bkk_mike said:

Choices are, risk running an unpatched operating system with no security updates... - not a great idea if you're connecting to the internet with it.

Isn't that what AV and anti-malware programs are for?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Utterly typical, as most users buy PCs that have Windows pre-installed.

Yes, But what happened was.

I bought a genuine win 95 o/s from a very popular computer store in Pattaya.

back in the day. ( still popular today)

But when I went to activate the license. it come up with a message ( cant remember the exact words )

but it said the license had already been used.

I contacted Microsoft in Bangkok  ( Bangkok number )

had a chat with a very nice man and he asked when and where I bought it.

I was very happy to give the name of the shop.

Now I'm not 100% sure of how it got sorted,  along time ago now, but think, he asked me to try and activate the license again when i was on the phone to him, all was fine after that.

After that , I have never bought a genuine windows operating system again.

2 hours ago, ignore it said:

Will this affect my pirated copy of Windows 7

No. You might consider upgrading to 8.1. It was actually pretty good.

Lil' eyecandy for ya. Two old faves stacked and running:

image.png.36c06975d7120f7540d325ab39cc0ff6.png

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No. You might consider upgrading to 8.1. It was actually pretty good.

I have to confess I never gave it a good run - was on my gf's laptop at the time and compared to 7 I just found it frustrating.

I am even using Open Shell on my Win 10.

40 minutes ago, harryviking said:

There is talk about being able to pay for extended support for Win 10. 

yes here is something from Ask Woody

We have a year to go for official support for Windows 10 and during that time, rest assured that we will not only be fully covering how to keep using it after October of 2025 but also how to keep it protected.

Microsoft has announced that it will be offering extended support patches for businesses and will be offering it to consumers for a fee (details to come on the consumer offering).

Also don’t forget the “Welcome to the era of vulnerability micropatching – 0patch” solution, where the minimum patches will be available for free and then for a small price you can get full support.

Also an interesting take on other "options" for extended life.......

https://www.theregister.com/2024/10/16/windows_7_eol/