Marriages To Western Men Cause Of Concern

Totster

Changing the goalposts are we?

You wrote "you never tried to get a visa for your GF / wife to show her how it's back at your home" - and you are wrong.

And you are also wrong that it's equally hard or harder compared to Thailand.

(1 Interview, 2 weeks later she received a 1 year temporary residence permit with work permit included. Can be renewed from within the country.)

If you spend a few minutes searching my posts you can probably figure out where I am from. I will accept your apology in a PM.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are incorrect - SOME countries do the same. Not 'WE'. Or 'ALL' of our homecountries.

Fine, name me one Western country where it's really easy for a Thai to go to and work. I'll proove you wrong with a single google search and a click on that country's embassy link.

I get the impression that some people here bash on Thais just because they don't have proper jobs / work permits / visas / lawyers. Spending your time WITH NOTHING BUT drinking and with other recreational funs won't make you be loved in any country.

There are certainly 1,000 things I don't like in Thailand myself, but there comes a time when you have to ask yourself why you're here or come here. It's easy. We accept those things we don't like, because those we like overweigh.

And to conclude, pleeeeease, also name me one country that didn't have at least one politician saying something blatantly stupid in this year. It's their jobs.

Firstly, what is your country?

As an Australian with a Thai wife I have not found it overly difficult.

Sure there is a lot of paperwork. My wife has found jobs quite easily. Sure there are language barriers which stop her from getting many jobs until her English improves. But that is to be expected.

. To get out of alimony he applied for annulment of the marriage on the grounds that she was a faithless wife that married him solely as a means of gaining Canadian citizenship. Unbelievably he won and she was deported penniless.

Would you please support a reference. My understanding of spousal support in Canada is that it is a provincial jurisdiction, i.e. Province of Alberta and not federal Canadian government. Adultry is not substantive grounds to avoid spousal support obligations.

In respect to deportation, sorry but I find that unbelievable. Canada has one of the most accomodating and generous of refugee immigration boards in the west. One need only claim refugee status and it can take upwards for 2 years before there is even a hearing before the immigration and refugee board. There is an approximate 50% acceptance rate on the grounds of basic humanitarian demands and that number increases when the claimant is a victim of violence.

Canada has refugee claimants from devloped prosperous nations countries using domestic violence and sexual identity as a basis for their claims and they are being accepted. Look at the IRB reports. It's a bit odd that a Thai battered wife would be deported when criminals from Africa and Latin America are granted refugee status. Even when a deportation order is given, it is not enforced, in that it is rare that the immigration department actually goes out and picks someone up. The person usually just never reports. You ned only look at Toronto with the hue and cry with the all the illegal Portuguese workers that made the international papers this summer. All sorts of deportation orders served, but no one was deported in 5 years.

If this Thai battered lady case was real, women's groups would be all over it demanding compassion.

You are incorrect - SOME countries do the same. Not 'WE'. Or 'ALL' of our homecountries.

Fine, name me one Western country where it's really easy for a Thai to go to and work. I'll proove you wrong with a single google search and a click on that country's embassy link.

I get the impression that some people here bash on Thais just because they don't have proper jobs / work permits / visas / lawyers. Spending your time WITH NOTHING BUT drinking and with other recreational funs won't make you be loved in any country.

There are certainly 1,000 things I don't like in Thailand myself, but there comes a time when you have to ask yourself why you're here or come here. It's easy. We accept those things we don't like, because those we like overweigh.

And to conclude, pleeeeease, also name me one country that didn't have at least one politician saying something blatantly stupid in this year. It's their jobs.

Firstly, what is your country?

As an Australian with a Thai wife I have not found it overly difficult.

Sure there is a lot of paperwork. My wife has found jobs quite easily. Sure there are language barriers which stop her from getting many jobs until her English improves. But that is to be expected.

So all you're doing is confirming what I said. It's a lot of paperwork here, so it is in the EU where I come from, so it is in the US and very much so (they just can't handle the illegals but that's another issue), and I went to Aus with GF, almost same paperwork but probably a little friendlier, that's true, congrats to Aussies to be that welcoming, but still a really long procedure to go through.

I myself fly into all Western countries without even thinking of doing 1 single paper/visa/whatever. I can't remember if it was the UK or US, but they even accepted me when I had forgotten my passport (only ID), quite a long time ago. But those are all Democratic countries. Asia is far away, different rules. Just get over it.

The point I'm trying to make, no need to bash on Thais for doing things like this, wherever you go you need proper paperwork and you can go ahead.

And again you are moving the goalposts...

I got carried away by the other guy and by you, sorry.

To go back to the initial statement, I have no clue what the guy is complaining about. We foreigners only marry either the dark skins or the really old ones (over 18) and those with a diploma. So why does he care? Politicians...

. To get out of alimony he applied for annulment of the marriage on the grounds that she was a faithless wife that married him solely as a means of gaining Canadian citizenship. Unbelievably he won and she was deported penniless.

Would you please support a reference. My understanding of spousal support in Canada is that it is a provincial jurisdiction, i.e. Province of Alberta and not federal Canadian government. Adultry is not substantive grounds to avoid spousal support obligations.

In respect to deportation, sorry but I find that unbelievable. Canada has one of the most accomodating and generous of refugee immigration boards in the west. ..............If this Thai battered lady case was real, women's groups would be all over it demanding compassion.

Yes let's see the evidence..actually maybe he had a case. But in any event, a Canadian has to sign off that he will pick up the tab for her no matter what the f=ck she does. Divorce, adultery - it doesn't seem to matter.

I doubt a court would make this ruling against her, the guy would almost certainly suffer more than her (one of the ironies - every country has them) - so come on - post the ruling here! Let's see it...at least cut/paste the news report!

Well, it appears that the report is about one particular community and one particular business - elephant park.

People feel threatened and their reaction is unreasonable. What is so surprising? They've invested years and years of hard work and feel that new sons in law may take over their business.

How would small western business owners react in the same situation - a group of immigrants settles in the area and they look like they want to open new, competing businesses there, or marry their way into existing ones.

ha ha choice...

Here on Phuket a farang had the idea of opening a go cart track (obviously designed for tourists) being a new idea and an innovation to a local market that cant come up with them or service a need (other than bars and women) without being shown etc etc..

So the place makes money until he catches that his manger has been skimming him, fires said manager who opens a copy place net door.. Literally 20m away..

How would western business owners take it ?? Up the hole usually here!!

As a Texan I am sure you remember the warm welcome VietNamese shrimpers received in Texas and Louisian (torched homes and boats that the law ignored.) As for Thai immagrants, one of which I am married to, are restricted by quotas on visa and high investment requirements prior to visa approval. This from life experience as well as a law degree. US laws keep me in Asia where I am accepted based on my ability to add to the community and economically inspired violence is rare.

I just read that the US allows investment visa as a fast route to PR for a pittance.. 200k USD is all you needed..

Compare that to a US median income wage and its just a 4 - 6 year amount ??

Median income in Thailand 25k per month ?? 300k per annum.. So we can get visas and live here with PR in a couple of years for 1 - 1.5 mil investment can we ??

People who claim that Thailand offers 'easy' visa rules clearly doesnt hink it through.. Sure to be a tourist is easy, to live her is far more difficult than the west, with less rights and less stability and progress to permanency.. Anything else is fiction.

I heard that some years ago when Pattaya wasn't not yet popular, many farangs married local girls so that they could buy land there. They turn around, sold the land for many times their original investment and took off with their millions. The Thai government got wise and made it difficult (practically impossible) for foreign men married to Thai women to purchase land.

This regulation has since been repealed and now it is possible again for Thai women married to foreigners to purchase land - provided the land is under the Thai wife's name.

Really typical xenophobic nonsense. I really enjoyed the writer's concern about possible overcharging of tourists being caused by the foreign/western ownership of businesses. :o

How do foreigners treat their horses? What happens to the bulls in the corrida? Give me a break!!!

At least westerners treat elephants with more humanity....remember the stories about some thai elephant owners giving ya-bar to their beasts to make them work harder :o

USA. I got married with my wife in Thailand. 4 months later she entered the US.They give her a green card with no other paperwork,except original paperwork submitted.We applied for a social security card,with the green card.It came about 10 days later.My wife was now able to work anywhere,or for anyone who would employ her.Never saw an Immigration officer after initial paperwork. Is that easy enough?You cant prove me wrong,because we went though it.We also know many Thais in the US.

There are things I don't like about Thailand,there are things I don't like about the US.I'll bash either one when I feel somethings wrong.

As for politicians,we all should know about them.The only thing I can say,in the US they go to jail when they get busted.In Thailand ?

USA. I got married with my wife in Thailand. 4 months later she entered the US.They give her a green card with no other paperwork,except original paperwork submitted.We applied for a social security card,with the green card.It came about 10 days later.My wife was now able to work anywhere,or for anyone who would employ her.Never saw an Immigration officer after initial paperwork. Is that easy enough?You cant prove me wrong,because we went though it.We also know many Thais in the US.

There are things I don't like about Thailand,there are things I don't like about the US.I'll bash either one when I feel somethings wrong.

As for politicians,we all should know about them.The only thing I can say,in the US they go to jail when they get busted.In Thailand ?

same scenario as myself and my wife. she had a social security card within the first month and was able to work.

badda-bing!

--dan

Tying the knot with western men might be a dream come true for many local women who believe it is a ticket to lifelong financial security

Then they discover that he in fact saves all year round for his 3 week holiday working as a floorsweeper in a Scunthorpe supermarket. :o

Floor sweeper marries village elephant <deleted> cleaner

Love is in the air :D

Tying the knot with western men might be a dream come true for many local women who believe it is a ticket to lifelong financial security

Then they discover that he in fact saves all year round for his 3 week holiday working as a floorsweeper in a Scunthorpe supermarket. :o

Floor sweeper marries village elephant <deleted> cleaner

Love is in the air :D

Nope - it's called 'natural selection'. And it's what makes most of us - and our clever ancestors - outlive and outsmart the rich-but-stupid-inheritance types. We scare them - because their priviledge doesn't equate to our brains and/or our abilities.

In short - we rock.. and many of 'them' die, single or with ugly/stupid/in-bred, single, heirs. Yet we prevail - despite all of their attempts to kill us off through their wars, etc. Why is that? Any "inheritance" types with more than a 100 IQ out there who can answer that?? Didn't think so...Oh well, forget it. Maybe I'll try to make the question simpler for you later....but I'm tired now. ZZZZZZZ

Edited by thaigene2