Green Space/foilage Or Concrete Jungle?

Dr. Burrito

We used to live in what was little more than a concrete bunker of a moo baan off Sukhumvit. One Hundred or so townhouses and a lot of concrete. It was frankly, depressing and I am glad we were able to rent a house in a fairly greener part of Bangkok. It is a much more pleasing place to be at on the weekends.

Whilst I know there are a lot of areas with greenery and trees seem to be everywhere, sometimes it still feels like a concrete bunker too.

I am sure those living in the areas of Thailand like Chiang Mai or Phuket feel pretty good about that part of their environment anyway.

I do have to give good points to the small to massive nurseries that seem to be everywhere and the chance to bu plants is never too far away.

Anybody else feeling like they sometimes play second fiddle to Siam Cement at times?

Dr. B

yeah, there isn't much of sense of asthetics here. Combine the concrete with some gaudy architecture and it can be pretty awful in BKK.

I'm happy with any public space to be honest. Doesn't have to be 'green'. The space in front of Central World is an example, and I'd love if the'd rip down all buildings directly surrounding a BTS station to provide a bit of air and sunlight in to the area.

Thats why I moved out of the CBD, our new moo baan has a big lake, trees, and grassy areas. I hate concrete jungles even though that's what I make my money from...(a shrink would no doubt have something to say about that...).

I live in a small village in rural Chaing Rai. The richest family in our village (not me) has a yard that is wall to wall concrete with one little spot left open for grandma to have a garden and a couple of little spots where there are single trees growing. I think it is prestigious to have a lot of concrete...it also eliminates the mud and cuts way back on the bugs. It's not for me though...although my wife would pour alot of concrete if left to her own devices.

Chiang Mai has plenty of concrete. Nevertheless in one day last weekend I saw a horse (walking free down the soi), 3 buffalo & an elephant, as well as the usual dogs & chickens, all inside the city. But that's nothing, in Phayao last month, where I spend my weekdays, I had a scorpion, 3 centipedes & a banded krait... all inside my house!

concrete is for those who can't afford teak wood or a gardener to take care of the trees and lawn.

whoever has some money moves away from the noise and pollution of the city to the suburbs, river banks or a seaside. In case of thailand living in the suburbs means lower temperatures (more shade, water and wind)

We used to live in what was little more than a concrete bunker of a moo baan off Sukhumvit. One Hundred or so townhouses and a lot of concrete. It was frankly, depressing and I am glad we were able to rent a house in a fairly greener part of Bangkok. It is a much more pleasing place to be at on the weekends.

Whilst I know there are a lot of areas with greenery and trees seem to be everywhere, sometimes it still feels like a concrete bunker too.

I am sure those living in the areas of Thailand like Chiang Mai or Phuket feel pretty good about that part of their environment anyway.

I do have to give good points to the small to massive nurseries that seem to be everywhere and the chance to bu plants is never too far away.

Anybody else feeling like they sometimes play second fiddle to Siam Cement at times?

Dr. B

up here in the suburbs in Chiang Mai. So nice compared to the tiny concrete, cell like apartment we used to live in.

so I need to cut the grass every couple of weeks, but hey I could get fat instead sittin in front of the puter all day. :o

post-15912-1186509041_thumb.jpg

I like to live within 20-30 kilometers of a major city. It's the best of both worlds. If you don't need to go into the city for some reason, you're not even aware that it's there.

Lannarebirth, do you have any water supply problems up there? I have been considering Chiang Mai as a 2nd (well, 3rd) home. Many of the problems in outlying and beach areas of Thailand are about Water supply, watershed problems due to razing forests, poor planning and flooding, electricity outages and slow or no broadband. How about outlying Chiang Mai for these?

Dr. B

up here in the suburbs in Chiang Mai. So nice compared to the tiny concrete, cell like apartment we used to live in.

so I need to cut the grass every couple of weeks, but hey I could get fat instead sittin in front of the puter all day. :o

Now that is a nice looking garden. Ours is nice enough, but not that big.

Well done

Dr. B

I like to live within 20-30 kilometers of a major city. It's the best of both worlds. If you don't need to go into the city for some reason, you're not even aware that it's there.

Lannarebirth, do you have any water supply problems up there? I have been considering Chiang Mai as a 2nd (well, 3rd) home. Many of the problems in outlying and beach areas of Thailand are about Water supply, watershed problems due to razing forests, poor planning and flooding, electricity outages and slow or no broadband. How about outlying Chiang Mai for these?

chinthee,

I personally don't have any water supply problems. Future water supply was a huge consideration of mine when I bought my land. Every piece has some kind of water. 2 pieces on a creek w/waterfall, 2 pieces on a river w/well and irrigation canal, 2 pieces w natural year round springs.

Water supply isn't really a problem in Chiang Mai, but watershed, water storage and water runoff management is. Just like every other place in Thailand. I get around that by being as close to the source of the water as possible, in the foothills. It's a little cooler there too. Give me a call if you're ever in the area.

concrete is for those who can't afford teak wood or a gardener to take care of the trees and lawn.

whoever has some money moves away from the noise and pollution of the city to the suburbs, river banks or a seaside. In case of thailand living in the suburbs means lower temperatures (more shade, water and wind)

I'm trying to work out if your joking or not. If not, that must be the biggest load of clap trap i have heard in a long time.

We have a place in the boonies and we have about 13ish rai of land. It is a fraction of the cost of what you can get for your money in a city. A couple of million baht will go a looooong way in the boonies but get you next to naff in a city, so i would suggest if anything it is the exact opposite of what you say. However, it's not about the money, it's about choice and whether you prefer the city life, or the suburbs, or the boonies. Although i like popping upto the boonies, after 3 days i'm scratching at the walls to get back to the city.

I'm trying to work out if your joking or not. If not, that must be the biggest load of clap trap i have heard in a long time.

We have a place in the boonies and we have about 13ish rai of land. It is a fraction of the cost of what you can get for your money in a city. A couple of million baht will go a looooong way in the boonies but get you next to naff in a city, so i would suggest if anything it is the exact opposite of what you say. However, it's not about the money, it's about choice and whether you prefer the city life, or the suburbs, or the boonies. Although i like popping upto the boonies, after 3 days i'm scratching at the walls to get back to the city.

thats why the burbs is better for me and the mrs. a balance of peace with the birds and stuff and loud stereo blarring in the distance from the kareoke bar shack way down the rd :o

/quote]

When I was growing up in BKK many moons ago, if you have a concrete house with a concrete fence, you're viewed as the rich!

Right now my family house is sitting in the middle of our 7 rai oasis in Bangkapi , and yes it comes with the sewer smell from the klong right at our back porch :o

^ I think we might be neighbors. In the same area anyway. Mmmm.... the aroma of Klong San Saep (not on our back porch though... we decided to build 100 meters back... for the days when the aroma is stronger than usual). Not sure how many folks would call a place with a dozen 2-3 foot long monitor lizards and ponds filled to the brim with leeches an oasis though. The foliage is indeed nice as it keeps things cool and completely blocks out the sound of the city. Now if I could only find a way to block out prayer time from the nearby mosque.

:o

Edited by Heng