Cost Of New Number Plates

Darlek

New-style motorbike license plates

It seems that motorcycles in Bangkok are being issued a new style of license plates. They are square, bigger and do not have a red line across the middle.

I recently moved to Phuket from Koh Samui, and I have three motobikes to re-register. I should like to have the new-style number plates for my bikes. When will they be available in Phuket?

Also, what has motivated the Land Transport Office to change the style of motorbike licence plates?

Friday, July 16, 2004 John Hamilton, Australia.

“At first, only motorbikes registered in Bangkok were issued the new-style licence plates, but now these new-style plates are available in the provinces, including Phuket.

The new licence plates are indeed square, bigger and have no red line across the middle. They are white with black characters showing the full name of the province where the vehicle has been registered on the top half, with three digits below.

This style makes it much easier to identify in which province the motorbike is registered. ”

Friday, July 16, 2004 Teerayuth Prasertphol, Chief of the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office (PPTO).

My bike was bought in Bangkok and have plates from BKK without red stripes. This plates are so old so it is hard to read. My bike is now in a shop for painting and change some part. I order a new copy of the plate and the two sticker for 2547. He told me it will be 1560THB extra. It is 200 for one sticker and about 800 for the other (750cc) so copy of the plate should be 500. I can confirm this next week when i get my bike back.

royar2002, Do you know anything about transferring a bike into your name? I just got a bike from a guy in Samui that was in his wifes name and before thatit belonged to a Bangkok policeman. The problem is that it hasn't been registered for the last 5 years. The head got stolen from the guy I got the bike from and he just never renewed the rego. I've got the head coming soon with other parts and don't want too much trouble when I go to transfer the bike. Got any ideas of what I can do? The bike was always registered in Bangkok. Thanks ,Kringle

royar2002, Do you know anything about transferring a bike into your name? I just got a bike from a guy in Samui that was in his wifes name and before thatit belonged to a Bangkok policeman. The problem is that it hasn't been registered for the last 5 years. The head got stolen from the guy I got the bike from and he just never renewed the rego. I've got the head coming soon with other parts and don't want too much trouble when I go to transfer the bike. Got any ideas of what I can do? The bike was always registered in Bangkok. Thanks ,Kringle

Changing the ownership of a bike should not be too different from a car.

And generally this has to be done (I think) where ever the bike is registered.

I think that you might have bought yourself a bit of a problem along with your "headless" bike.

It won't (shouldn't) have been a major investment (unless it was a headless BMW or Harley) anyway.

Frankly I think that you have been sold a pup. i.e. you have fcuked up :o

First, thanks to everyone for the help that I have received in the past and I'm sure to the help I will undoubtbly get in the future. I have only been here for a little over 2 years now but could not have had as much success and less headaches without the help from some of the people on this forum. I do thank all of you.

johnbgood, Didn't pay one silver baht for the "headless" bike, they gave it to me! :D I can now see why the guy got disheartened with trying to get parts (pain in the A$$) but it is being done by me with the help from a couple of good hearted people from this forum. I do not believe that I was or will be "fcuked" in this situation. Granted the parts are expensive and a pain to get here but it's a great bike and I at least believe well worth the effort and my money to get back up and running. Being a DAV and having some time on my side, it gives me pleasure to make a silk purse out of sows' ear. Will be a lot better end product than what I would end up with working you as a project. :o

"Frankly", what you "think" doesn't mean $hit to me and if you can't offer anything constructive, then pi$$ off.

Everyone has an opinion, just like an ######, and sometimes it's just better to keep it to yourself.

Kringle, I am not sure what you can do when it has not been registered in 5 years.

I know a farang who bought a honda dream without plates and not registerd for 6-7 years ago. A small mc garage fix his problem, but have to pay for all the years without plates. This was 2 yars ago and in Koh Pha ngan where everything was easy before. I know the rules are different know. I get my bike from a friend,

who went back to europe. He get the bike from another ones who also left Thailand and are now dead and the transfer paper are gone. So my bike is registered in a man I don,t know. But I have the green book and I have no problem to pay the yearly government fee and road accident so i got the sticker. If you have the book you can use the bike like it is yours, but you can not change the colours or transfer the bike to other people. If you got the green book and the transferpaper with the same name as in the book, I think you only have to pay for the 5 years without regisrations. Many times they make more problem for Farangs,

So I will advice you to contact one professional shop who repair and modify big bike and ask them if they can do it for you. They use to fix problems easy. If you can't trasfer it to you, just pay the yearly fee, get the sticker and it is your bike even if your book have another name. It is no problem to sell it either, because many farang dont have non imm visa and can not own a bike in their name so they dont care whos name they have in the green book.

Good Luck!

Royar2002, Thanks for the info and I do in fact have the green book and can get the transfer papers with no problems. The guy I got the bike from had the bike registered in his girlfriend's name and they are very much still together. I guess another reason I got the bike for free is that I promised them that I would get the bike back in shape. They rode the bike for years and truly loved it. I am going to have to spend more than I had expected but it will give me something to do and when it is finally finished, I'll have something that's a true joy to ride. I'll get it all figured out but I thought I would check here to see if anyone had done something like this before. Thanks again, Kringle :o