Visa Run To Ranong

Hi all,

I was trying to find a past posting of a description of the visa run to Myanmar via Ranong and didn't have any luck finding it. Could someone give me the particulars again? I think there's a night bus from the Southern Bus Station to Ranong? Then, something about catching a boat for ??baht to the Myanmar checkpoint, a $5 cost for the Myanmar end, then back to Thailand---can someone confirm these details? Any advice/recommendations also appreciated! Also, what time do buses leave Ranong for Bangkok?

Thanks ever so much! :o

Suggestion: could there be a "permanent" place on this site to find the descriptions of the basic facts of the visa runs to all the various land border crossings, such as ways to get there, how much it costs, etc? maybe they could be dated so we would know how recent the details are.

Suggestion: could there be a "permanent" place on this site to find the descriptions of the basic facts of the visa runs to all the various land border crossings, such as ways to get there, how much it costs, etc? maybe they could be dated so we would know how recent the details are.

Here is the link to this sites page about visa runs

Visa runs

Couldn't see much about Ranong, but I only had a quick look

totster

Thanks for the link, Totster. I had looked there already, but couldn't find anything with the details I was looking for. I think it was 6 months ago that I saw a traveler's report about their Ranong trip, but it seems to have disappeared. That's why I suggested that we have some kind of archive listing of just the basic details of the different runs.

Totster, you are quite the sleuth and I thank you for all your efforts...however, the links mostly referred to leaving from Phuket and I wanted to know about leaving from Bangkok---I'm asking for a friend who needs to make her visa run in about a week. But the other info about the actual run itself was quite helpful.

HAS ANYONE MADE THE VISA RUN TO RANONG FROM BANGKOK LATELY????

If I don't get any responses then----after my friend makes the run, I'll get the info from her and share it with everyone!!

Cheers! :o

forgive my ignorance, but why would anybody want to make a visa run from BKK via Ranong when other boder crossings are much closer to BKK?

as for buses to Ranong just phone the southern bus terminal and ask, there are at least 2 departures every day.

tel#: 02-435-1195-6, 02-435-1200, 02-435-1792

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

I always use Chokeanan tour (Tel: 02-4357429) from the Southern Bus Station (not far from Central Pinklao) to come to Ranong, they have VIP 32 (700 baht return) and VIP 24 (900 baht return), I always go for the night service, which leaves at 2100 from Bangkok, gets into Ranong about 0530.

When you get to Ranong, get a bike, car or bus to Immigration, there is a new 'big boat' service over to Myanmar, much more comfortable that the longtail boat (certainly in the rainy/storm season!), either boat option will cost you about 300 baht, plus the $5 for the Myanmar Immigration.

J

forgive my ignorance, but why would anybody want to make a visa run from BKK via Ranong when other boder crossings are much closer to BKK?

as for buses to Ranong just phone the southern bus terminal and ask, there are at least 2 departures every day.

tel#: 02-435-1195-6, 02-435-1200, 02-435-1792

opalhort

[quote forgive my ignorance, but why would anybody want to make a visa run from BKK via Ranong when other boder crossings are much closer to BKK?

]

Opalhart, as far as I know the only other relativley close crossing is the Cambodia one, which I've heard is unpleasant for a variety of reasons, though I'm sure some could say the same about the Ranong crossing. It's probably a toss-up whether Nong Khai/Laos is more convenient than Ranong. These are the only 3 places I know about that are within a reasonable distance--unless I am missing something???

Thanks for the Bus phone numbers! :o

I always use Chokeanan tour (Tel: 02-4357429) from the Southern Bus Station (not far from Central Pinklao) to come to Ranong, they have VIP 32 (700 baht return) and VIP 24 (900 baht return), I always go for the night service, which leaves at 2100 from Bangkok, gets into Ranong about 0530.

When you get to Ranong, get a bike, car or bus to Immigration, there is a new 'big boat' service over to Myanmar, much more comfortable that the longtail boat (certainly in the rainy/storm season!), either boat option will cost you about 300 baht, plus the $5 for the Myanmar Immigration.

J

Wow, Jayrockwell, thanks a bunch! That's JUST the info I was looking for!! :o