Economy Class Klm

wileycoyote

Friends have just announced they are about to book Newcastle-Amsterdam-Bangkok in economy class.

What is good about KLM (thru-luggage + ?)

What are your thoughts ,family composition 2 parents middle aged and child although airline charges adult for the 12 year old.

They are not experienced flyers,ie don't want to stop in Middle East & limited budget.

If the worse comes to the worst,any recommendations for sleeping tablets ?

:o Wiley Coyote

I flue with them many times whenever they were the cheapest - convenient from the UK as they fly to the majority of UK airports.

From my experience - they are always fully packed, so you can't spread over several seats to sleep.

I believe, that if your friends decided to fly from newcastle through middle east they would have to do 2 stopovers, on top of the middle east route being longer than from Ams - Bkk

I flue with them many times whenever they were the cheapest - convenient from the UK as they fly to the majority of UK airports.

From my experience - they are always fully packed, so you can't spread over several seats to sleep.

I believe, that if your friends decided to fly from newcastle through middle east they would have to do 2 stopovers, on top of the middle east route being longer than from Ams - Bkk

Thank-you londonthai,they specifically wanted as direct as possible route.

Friends have just announced they are about to book Newcastle-Amsterdam-Bangkok in economy class.

What are your thoughts ,family composition 2 parents middle aged and child although airline charges adult for the 12 year old.

They are not experienced flyers,ie don't want to stop in Middle East & limited budget.

:D Wiley Coyote

They could consider to fly EVA Air. They have the so called Evergreen Class which has a lot more space and is more comfortable and only a little higher in price than economy.

They have business class chairs but the food is the same as in economy.

They fly almost daily A'dam-BKK non-stop.

Once they've booked with them they will hug you for advising it to them... :o

edit:

EVA AIR fies on Tuesday - Wednesday - Friday and Sunday; Amsterdam - Bangkok.

Evergreen Class between August 21 - December 1 2007, Euro 909.-- or GBP 680 (more or less) return.

They also have a special offer from August 10 - September 30 for Euro 929-- but you have to hurry with booking.

Found this info on a Dutch travel website, called www.bmair.nl

Their website is not in English but you could give them a phonecall or send email (speak English).

OR: have a look here: http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/

Good luck.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

KLM are offering some demon discounts on flights for Asia-Europe-Asia this summer - don't know if they are available flying the other way.

If price and connection times are equal, I'd suggest Swiss or Lufthansa (the latter via Munich, not Frankfurt) rather than KLM as they both fly new Airbus 340's on the route to BKK. KLM's fleet is a little older in my observation.

Zurich, Munich and Amsterdam are all reasonably modern airports, not too big, and easy to navigate - recommend avoiding LHR, Frankfurt or Paris CDG as very large and very busy.

Confession: I have a Star Alliance Gold Card so that tends to sway my view in favour of their carriers!

Cheers,

CC

Flew with them once, Bristol-Ams-Bkk.

To be fair the outward flight was pretty ok, as I had just come off night duty, so I slept pretty much all the way, after having a couple of drinks.

The return again was ok, but checking in was a nightmare, and they ridgidly stuck to their 20kg weight limit. There were loads of people having to empty their luggage and it was pretty chaotic and rather annoying. Mt GF had the same provlem when she flew out of BKK as well with the weight limits.

The service was prety average, and the cattle class facilities were pretty standard. Certainly not up to airlines like S'pore, Emirate, Qatar etc who have much newer planes. They certainly are probably one of the leaders in recruiting ugly air hostess' though.

Although for me there is a convenience element about flying in and out of Bristol, I would still rather fly with one of the better airlines and put up with the exra one and half hour on my travel time once in the UK and there is little difference in the prices.

:D Wiley Coyote

They could consider to fly EVA Air. They have the so called Evergreen Class which has a lot more space and is more comfortable and only a little higher in price than economy.

They have business class chairs but the food is the same as in economy.

They fly almost daily A'dam-BKK non-stop.

I beg to differ, EVA uses its oldest B747's on the Amsterdam route. Not comfortable at all even in Evergreen Deluxe.

Have flown them umpteen times during a long period of time till it became unbearable for me.

But still that's me

cheers

onzestan

edit:

EVA AIR fies on Tuesday - Wednesday - Friday and Sunday; Amsterdam - Bangkok.

Evergreen Class between August 21 - December 1 2007, Euro 909.-- or GBP 680 (more or less) return.

They also have a special offer from August 10 - September 30 for Euro 929-- but you have to hurry with booking.

Found this info on a Dutch travel website, called www.bmair.nl

Their website is not in English but you could give them a phonecall or send email (speak English).

OR: have a look here: http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/

Good luck.

LaoPo

Thank you LaoPo

I beg to differ, EVA uses its oldest B747's on the Amsterdam route. Not comfortable at all even in Evergreen Deluxe.

Have flown them umpteen times during a long period of time till it became unbearable for me.

But still that's me

cheers

onzestan

I've flew them numerous times as well and although they might not be the newest 747's, they're OK since their technical maintenance is most important and done well as far as I know.

Just curious: with who you fly now ?

LaoPo

I usuall fly KLM to/from Europe as they are a member of the SkyTeam alliance. Nothing remarkable about KLM, either in a positive or a negative sense. I can certainly think of worse airports than Amsterdam-Schiphol at which to make a transfer.

But still that's me

cheers

onzestan

I've flew them numerous times as well and although they might not be the newest 747's, they're OK since their technical maintenance is most important and done well as far as I know.

LaoPo

Since no longer flying China Airlines and/or Eva Air I now fly Etihad and/or Qatar (business). Have tried Emirates and Gulf also but Etihad is the best so far. Lie-flat all the way. Emirates I'll never fly again but that's because of a serious incident at Dubai involving my refusal to pass through the metal detector because of my pacemaker. Gulf has deteriorated drastically.

Cheers

onzestan

Sounds like a good move to me.. KLM are ordinary, but I'd rather change at Schiphol than Heathrow any day of the week.

But still that's me

cheers

onzestan

LaoPo

Since no longer flying China Airlines and/or Eva Air I now fly Etihad and/or Qatar (business). Have tried Emirates and Gulf also but Etihad is the best so far. Lie-flat all the way. Emirates I'll never fly again but that's because of a serious incident at Dubai involving my refusal to pass through the metal detector because of my pacemaker. Gulf has deteriorated drastically.

Cheers

onzestan

Nice to hear...but the OP's friends have limited budget and can't probably afford business class.

Nevertheless, what route are you flying and what's the fare for business with Etihad (return) ?

LaoPo

Did you know:

Emirates now have a service BKK-DXB-NCL (and the other way around) and they are currently offering Early Bird Specials.

Recently booked 2 return tickets with them on this route for 61000 Baht, including the taxes.

Only slight downside is a long layover in Dubai on the way back to BKK.

DM

Nice to hear...but the OP's friends have limited budget and can't probably afford business class.

Nevertheless, what route are you flying and what's the fare for business with Etihad (return) ?

LaoPo

I'm booked early december BKK/FRA at 77.000 Baht all-in.

Qatar would be abt 10.000 baht cheaper but Etihad offers lie-flat all the way, and Qatar has the angled lie-flat seats on which I find it impossible to sleep, plus departure/arrival times with Etihad are more convenient for my onward journey (rented car) to Belgium.

I have the option CDG or FRA both similar km from Antwerp, or AMS which is closer but very congested traffic.

For me on board comfort is the most important factor in choosing the airline, and so far Etihad has delivered the best service.

cheers

onzestan

LaoPo

I'm booked early december BKK/FRA at 77.000 Baht all-in.

Qatar would be abt 10.000 baht cheaper but Etihad offers lie-flat all the way, and Qatar has the angled lie-flat seats on which I find it impossible to sleep, plus departure/arrival times with Etihad are more convenient for my onward journey (rented car) to Belgium.

I have the option CDG or FRA both similar km from Antwerp, or AMS which is closer but very congested traffic.

For me on board comfort is the most important factor in choosing the airline, and so far Etihad has delivered the best service.

cheers

onzestan

I see.

I checked Etihad but why don't you fly from Bruxelles ?

Also, the cheapest 'Pearl'/business class prices are Euro 2.320.-- (up to 3.750) and a lot more than the said Baht 77.000.

Anyway, the trip takes a minimum of 15.15 hours with a Middle East stop.

I'd rather fly non-stop EU-BKK, but that's my personal choice.

LaoPo

In May and June, I did round trip Moscow-Amsterdam-London Heathrow with KLM. No complaints, but it was otherwise your basic economy flight. Thai Airways, round trip BKK-Moscow, was far better, but then you have to connect between two Moscow airports that ruin the connections.

I see.

I checked Etihad but why don't you fly from Bruxelles ?

Also, the cheapest 'Pearl'/business class prices are Euro 2.320.-- (up to 3.750) and a lot more than the said Baht 77.000.

Anyway, the trip takes a minimum of 15.15 hours with a Middle East stop.

I'd rather fly non-stop EU-BKK, but that's my personal choice.

LaoPo

I fly BKK/AUH/FRA/AUH/BKK.

AUH/BRU + BRU/AUH in old style A330 no flatbed.

Ask Thaivisa travelagents quotation and you will get Baht 77.500,-

I got 500 Baht cheaper at my regular travel agent (since 17 years) i.e. All Seasons Travel on South Pattaya Road.

Anyway as I stated before, comfort level and arrival/departure times are paramount in my decision making.

cheers

onzestan

Flown KLM from Amesterdam-Bangkok many times and found the cabin staff very friendly and helpful and on 3 occasions got upgraded to Buisness Class for free. As mentioned in another reply the planes are older 747's and usually they are full up, but don't let that put you off asking for an upgrade!!

Personally if l had a 12 year old travelling with me i would go from Heathrow and choose one of the airlines that has tv's in the back of the seats and interactive film choice you can start and finish at your convience. Singapore , BA , Austrian and some Gulf Air flights have this option. l know you said you did'nt want to stop in the middle east but some of the Gulf Air flights stop only once usually Bahrain or Dubai and these are very modern clean airports with good shopping and plenty to do. Personally l think Singapore Airlines are head and shoulders above the rest but of course you do have to stop in Singapore.

If money is a problem l would wait until the school hoildays are finished and the prices return to normal !!

Flown KLM from Amesterdam-Bangkok many times and found the cabin staff very friendly and helpful and on 3 occasions got upgraded to Buisness Class for free. As mentioned in another reply the planes are older 747's and usually they are full up, but don't let that put you off asking for an upgrade!!

Personally if l had a 12 year old travelling with me i would go from Heathrow and choose one of the airlines that has tv's in the back of the seats and interactive film choice you can start and finish at your convience. Singapore , BA , Austrian and some Gulf Air flights have this option. l know you said you did'nt want to stop in the middle east but some of the Gulf Air flights stop only once usually Bahrain or Dubai and these are very modern clean airports with good shopping and plenty to do. Personally l think Singapore Airlines are head and shoulders above the rest but of course you do have to stop in Singapore.

If money is a problem l would wait until the school hoildays are finished and the prices return to normal !!

:o Thank you mark100 very informative & helpful

Personally if l had a 12 year old travelling with me i would go from Heathrow and choose one of the airlines that has tv's in the back of the seats and interactive film choice you can start and finish at your convience. !!

Do KLM have only a screen in economy class AMS_BKK & not individual TVs in the back of the seats ?

Personally if l had a 12 year old travelling with me i would go from Heathrow and choose one of the airlines that has tv's in the back of the seats and interactive film choice you can start and finish at your convience. !!

Do KLM have only a screen in economy class AMS_BKK & not individual TVs in the back of the seats ?

It has been some years that I have used them on that route, but at that time they were using B747-400 without individual screens in economy class.

But I have to say, I will by flying with KLM in three weeks time on that route, as they were the cheapest at time of booking €800 all in.

Service is nice, better then EVA and China. I have also used EVA and their evergreen deluxe class, but they only fly 4 times a week on that route, and that means shortening my holiday, therefore I never use them anymore.

yes, KLM does fly daily to Taiwan with a stopover in BKK - maybe they have codeshare of the china airlines as well, but the aiplanes and the crew is KLM

Both fly the same route daily, flightnumber for KLM is KL0877 leaving 20:45. China Airlines is CI066, leaving Schiphol at 14:25.

Both fly Boeing 747-400. Both indeed fly to Taipei as final destination.

I'm surprised that KLM are getting decent reviews. I flew with them a couple of times, then stopped as I found them bad in every way - maybe I was unlucky...

Their business class is very average too.

To Bangkok from a smaller UK airport I would prefer Austrian or Lufthansa, of the lower cost airlines. Austrian are usually quite cheap too, although connections via Vienna will be more difficult than Amsterdam or Frankfurt.

Turkish are sometimes cheap and are surprisingly good.

Going via London on Thai, Quantas or Eva (much cheaper than the other direct airlines) might be a better option. Heathrow is crap and expensive, but that will get them ready for the Bangkok hub of hubs...

KLM covers the majority of the UK airports (certainly they do cover Newcactle) and is reasonably priced comparing to the BA. Budget airlines do fly newcastle - gatwick - they might be cheaper but than you have to check in again or change to LHR for the BA part.