Fortuner Black Stuff

nikster

I remember there was some minor outrage recently about black particles coming out of the Fortuner air-con. We got a letter from Toyota saying it's all right and nothing to worry about or something to this effect.

I had not really noticed anything except that the car sometimes seemed to get pretty dirty inside. You wouldn't see it but if you wiped the dashboard with a kleenex you'd see black residue on it. We wash this car every 2 months or so so it doesn't really accumulate. Does anyone have info on this? Similar experiences? Is this normal grime that any car would have or is that really coming out of the air-con. I don't notice any unusual dirt around the air con vents.

There is something like a black foam, where the aircon components are fitted together, to seal between the components and to protect against rattles an noises, specialy between air con hoses, the aircon unit and vents. This foam seals sometime falling a part, like powder and getting blowed out of the vents. Thie is no problem, but create some kind if dirt. Today every car have a cream interior, so you'll regonize the dust and dirt easly. With a black interior you would not see anything.

There is something like a black foam, where the aircon components are fitted together, to seal between the components and to protect against rattles an noises, specialy between air con hoses, the aircon unit and vents. This foam seals sometime falling a part, like powder and getting blowed out of the vents. Thie is no problem, but create some kind if dirt. Today every car have a cream interior, so you'll regonize the dust and dirt easly. With a black interior you would not see anything.

Thanks for the info, that might be it.