What Kind Of Business Would You Buy In Los?

I am trying to pick one that doesnt just rely on western tourists. Maybe manufacture and/or export. Or internet cafes are used by thais and farangs. Apart from that, I dont have much of a clue what to do. If I dont buy one, I might have to go to cambo. I have owned and managed before and dont care if its something I dont " have a passion " for.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to pick one that doesnt just rely on western tourists. Maybe manufacture and/or export. Or internet cafes are used by thais and farangs. Apart from that, I dont have much of a clue what to do. If I dont buy one, I might have to go to cambo. I have owned and managed before and dont care if its something I dont " have a passion " for.

Drive in upholstery has yet to be fully exploited.

Open up an STD clinic on Soi Cowboy. :o

Drive in upholstery has yet to be fully exploited.

The concept of the velvet lined sink has yet to be taken to market.

MOre seriously, obviously any attempt to set up a market for western tourists can be tougher given the large number of business owners who seem to see them as easy pickings (both Thai and western alike).

However, targeting Thais or any other market:

- what is their current spend in the category

- how are you going to get to your targeted share of that spend

- how can you grow the spend in the category

- what is your point of difference to maintain share of wallet

If you cannot provide decent answers to these questions, then you don't know your market well enough. Following that, working out cashflows and profit is easy enough.

No idea why Cambodia would be any better; I think you should do some more homework; at least shortlist some ideas for us?

I looked at setting up a subsidury to my Thai business in Cambodia & frankly, after doing all the cost analysis, there just isn't enough money in Cambodia to support that many types of business.

BTW I'm selling futures in water proof tea bags. Interested? :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

Don't be silly. Internet cafes are only set up by farang fools who want to keep their rather dubious gfs out of the bars. They make next to no money.

Having looked at it myself I feel that there is so little money to be made in most areas and when you couple that with the restrictions put on you as a foreigner you are better off making your money in another country and living on the profits over here

"Internet cafes are only set up by farang fools'

...again, Mr. Humility gracing us with his vast knowledge of how things work around here.

Hey, look who it is. My favourite one-dimensional stalker.

Do you have an internet cafe, old-timer? How is that working for you?

Don't be silly. Internet cafes are only set up by farang fools who want to keep their rather dubious gfs out of the bars. They make next to no money.

Having owned and operated one before, I can tell you that it is not easy, but you can make money at an Internet cafe. Location is the key.

Your assertion is, to say the least, a bit exaggerated.

... Internet cafes are only set up by farang fools who want to keep their rather dubious gfs out of the bars. They make next to no money.
Sorry to disabuse you of the notion but there is a 'chain' owned by a small group {all Thai} which provide Game focused cafes and these do indeed make very good money.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

Having looked at it myself I feel that there is so little money to be made in most areas and when you couple that with the restrictions put on you as a foreigner you are better off making your money in another country and living on the profits over here

I think your right that there is little money in most areas and maybe not worth the effort. I will be living off money made abroad , but would like some more. Wouldnt we all. Will maybe stick to what I know best and buy condos for resale. But would like to find a good export oppotunity. Must be someone willing to share their export secrets as I probably wouldnt affect their market.

What about motorbike hire? Any BMs tried that as a business?

Totally agree. never met a millionaire that owned an internet cafe ,. Edited by mikethevigoman

Internet cafes. Bars. Motorbike hire. With respect, you're not exactly thinking outside the square, are you? Those aren't business ideas: they are cliches. What next? Buy cheap crap at Jatujak and sell on ebay?

My advice. Do what you know best. That sounds like property development.

Totally agree. never met a millionaire that owned an internet cafe ,.

Tell that to Stelios Haji-Ioannou, owner of EasyInternet.

Who's Dad made the family fortune in shipping :o

(Behind every "self-made" multi-millionaire is usually a "mere" millionaire Family member)

RAZZ

Internet cafes. Bars. Motorbike hire. With respect, you're not exactly thinking outside the square, are you?

I didnt really want to use the word millionaire because people seem to be thinking I want to make a million £ in los. I dont. I want a reasonable earning oppotunity that doesnt take too much time to run as my workaholic days are behind me. But to illustate a point.... most millionaires make their money from average hum drum everyday businesses. For every Bill Gates, theres thousands of millionaires running ordinary businesses. Outside the box thinking isnt required. Neither is a "passion" for what your diong.

Totally agree. never met a millionaire that owned an internet cafe ,.

Tell that to Stelios Haji-Ioannou, owner of EasyInternet.

Who's Dad made the family fortune in shipping :D

(Behind every "self-made" multi-millionaire is usually a "mere" millionaire Family member)

RAZZ

LOL. While that is quite true, he's still a millionaire that owns an internet cafe :o He didn't say "never met someone who became a millionaire by owning internet cafes".

On top of that, it is also quite true that just owning EasyInternet is worth millions.

I want a reasonable earning oppotunity that doesnt take too much time to run as my workaholic days are behind me. But to illustate a point.... most millionaires make their money from average hum drum everyday businesses. For every Bill Gates, theres thousands of millionaires running ordinary businesses. Outside the box thinking isnt required. Neither is a "passion" for what your diong.

There are not too many "out of the box" businesses that will work in Thailand without a decent level of commitment, self sacrifice and personal labour. :o

Just because you front the franchise fee doesn't mean you can sit back and watch the profits as they roll in. All these businesses require daily input on a scale much larger than their western counterparts.

Something as simple as opening a petrol station will keep you occupied more than a hundred hours per week. No shit! We own one & it practically has to be supervised from 6am until 10pm.

Think things through really well before you sign on the dotted line......

Soundman.

There are not too many "out of the box" businesses that will work in Thailand without a decent level of commitment, self sacrifice and personal labour. :o

There are many businesses that WON'T work in Thailand even if you DO have a decent level of commitment, self sacrifice and personal labour as well.

Obsession, your best bet is to get into something you've done successfully before. Trying to learn the ropes of a new business in Thailand is extremely difficult. And if you succeed at that, then try and teach your Thai staff those principles. They don't understand things the way you do, and you don't understand things the way they do, and often times both sides don't even understand things the way customers do.

Just because you front the franchise fee doesn't mean you can sit back and watch the profits as they roll in. All these businesses require daily input on a scale much larger than their western counterparts.

Something as simple as opening a petrol station will keep you occupied more than a hundred hours per week. No shit! We own one & it practically has to be supervised from 6am until 10pm.

Too true. Unless you can find someone who you can really trust - and believe me it is very, very difficult sometimes - your staff will take every opportunity to slack off and do their own stuff when you're not watching, even if they're the sweetest, most friendly and personable people you know. I've been bitten twice, and it is not going to happen a third time.

Don't listen to all negative comments, it always make me laugh when a board member asks an honest question and all they get in response is members who seem either know everything or have a smart ass comment. If you really want to start a business in Thailand then give it a try! do a lot of homework and ask a lot of questions, research as much as you possibly can. I would suggest by starting while you are still at home, look around, find various businesses that seem to be doing well and make notes. After all your ideas are gathered sift through them and see which ones would be most viable in a Thai city or town. One thing I will suggest is that if you do go forward and start a business and that is to start one that you would also enjoy working in or managing, nothing worse than getting up each day having to face a job you hate (you do that now don't you?). There are a lot of factors that come into play when starting a new venture, first do the ground work! don't buy a failing bar or restaurant that another farang is wanting to dump. Last but not least make sure you have enough capital to operate for at least the first year without depending on revenue from your new venture, I would also suggest getting some strong legal and business pros in your corner...They're well worth the expense! Good luck to you and if you want it bad enough you'll find your own idea!

My advice if you want to participate in money flow tourists provide then go to a place where they spend their money and buy a biz (guesthouse, restaurant, internet cafe, massage place, bar, hotel) in the mid of low season and resell mid to end of high season. When you can get it relatively cheap you can milk it for a few months, learn about it and when it makes the best returns sell it to the next guy. Important that you dont miss the point of the cycle when it starts slowing. Dont make the mistake to fall in love with it as there are thousands of ways how to lose it in Thailand. The only think you have to research is about whats cheap and whats expensive and of course you need some money to start with plus a good lawyer on your side.

Cheers