Advice For New Mums+dads

Shola

Hi I want to start this topic so that new Mums and Dads can get advice from each other and the more 'pro' parents :D can tell us what products/toys/foods etc work and don't work, whats a waste of our precious Bahts and stuff like when you started solid food etc..

Firstly I would like to UNrecommend Pampers nappies!! So I fell for the 'We're the priciest therefore we must be the best' ruse :o I was using Mamy Poko which are great and thought I'd try Pampers just to see, I can't count how many times my bab has woken soaked through to the mattress in them and in 2 days we've had 2 major poop explosions! and I mean major! :D

They're just not worth the money, you get about 20 more nappies for the same price with Mamy Poko and very few explosions, in my experience!

So a whinge plus my recomendation for the cheaper nappies!

Shola

XXX

P.S Babywalkers any advice, would like one but keep hearing about how uber dangerous they are???

• Like 2

I used Pampers cos they were cheaper and they have been fine. Kodomo have been excellent too. We cannot use Mamy Poko as my girl's legs are quite chunky and Poko are just too tight. My tip: Wait until 2 for 1 or half price sale is on and then buy up big.

I used Pampers cos they were cheaper and they have been fine. Kodomo have been excellent too. We cannot use Mamy Poko as my girl's legs are quite chunky and Poko are just too tight. My tip: Wait until 2 for 1 or half price sale is on and then buy up big.

The day I save my money on my son would the day when I'll have a daughter.

12 baht a piece, how cheap should it be than, vegas ?

Great Idea for a thread, and as a new dad to a 6 week old girl, i take any advice i can get.

I am pleased to hear what Shola said about Nappies.

We use Mamy Poko, and they seem to be good.

She stays dry, and hasn't had any nappy rash, so is a happy baby.

Those explosions - ######...nothing in any parenting book can prepare you for that.

I will keep an eye out for any 2 for 1 offers on nappies etc.

At about 1000 baht a fortnight for nappies and wipes, it is not a huge cost but it is not inconsequential either.

My boys 9 months now and weve just changed from mamy poko standard large nappies to the pull up pants poko nappies. There more expensive and are very easy to use when changing him, even i dont struggle. The problem with them is that at the back, near the top there seems to be a part that likes to leak poo if hes done a real messy one. We never had the problem with the standard nappies so were going back to them.

We also buy in bulk when we can, no harm in saving a little money when you can. You'll be glad you did save a little bit when you get the bill for his birth certificate and passport (UK) lol

babywalkers im not to sure about yet. A friend has passed one on to us but he hasnt started using it yet, ill let you know how many times he falls flat on his face before I take it away from him.

My boys 9 months now and weve just changed from mamy poko standard large nappies to the pull up pants poko nappies. There more expensive and are very easy to use when changing him, even i dont struggle. The problem with them is that at the back, near the top there seems to be a part that likes to leak poo if hes done a real messy one. We never had the problem with the standard nappies so were going back to them.

We also buy in bulk when we can, no harm in saving a little money when you can. You'll be glad you did save a little bit when you get the bill for his birth certificate and passport (UK) lol] babywalkers im not to sure about yet. A friend has passed one on to us but he hasnt started using it yet, ill let you know how many times he falls flat on his face before I take it away from him.

Yeah I've just done that for my daughter, utter p1ss takers! If she's classed as a British Citizen it should be free for the birth cert at least, and they don't even fill it out in cursive like in England they just blandly printer it in!

For those wondering it's over 10000 Baht to regester the birth and get the certificate :o

nice thread

can't believe that price for registering the birth!

I have a question about washing powder.

I think non-biological is recommended for babies clothes, but I can't seem to find that kind of info on the washing powder packets... or am I blind? any recommendations for a washing machine?

nice thread

I think non-biological is recommended for babies clothes, but I can't seem to find that kind of info on the washing powder packets... or am I blind? any recommendations for a washing machine?

Ho Ho!!! Good luck with that, it absolutly 100% doesn't exist here! Ever notice how your clothes look old and worn after a few washes here? Every powder contains a certain amount of bleach and is ultra strong, my guess is becuase they don't use hot water to wash clothes here, i've often though about importing my own but it would just be too weighty and expensive. I use the Babi Mild brand, lovely smell but still seems pretty strong to me.

We had to switch from Mamy Pokos to cloth diapers when Katie got rashes in her first 18 months, mostly because (I think) Mom and Grandma we're overly impressed with high-tech baby products.

We've had problems with doctors who have over-prescribed medicine for minor illnesses, probably due to BKK Hospital admin pressure to sell prescriptions....which is where they make their money.

We found a doctor who we could trust and it alleviates a lot of worry.

If I have any advice, it's, do a little research, evaluate the product or action rationally, and don't let superstition, tradition, profit motive or media influence determine your actions. (But compromise when you can, it makes for a better night's sleep)

Tops had a buy one get one free sale on Pampers 2-3 weeks ago for large size only. We bought 10+ packs. They hold 42 or so?? Worked out at about 6 baht a piece. The hospital recommended we use Kodomo and we still use them. Sometimes Macro has a sale for pack of 26 (small & medium) 189 baht per pack, works out to 7 baht per nappy.

Tops also has 2 for 1 sales on Kodomo. My missus buys Kodomo from some bird she found online. The wipes we also buy when they are 2 for 1 at boots and sometimes at Central.

We also buy US export clothes from a lady online, superb quality for about 200 baht per piece. When we went to Australia my mum bought us some clothes from David Jones, which were in the $20-30 range and they all fell apart. Some after 1 wash. My missus was non too impressed.

Maybe we should open a thread where we can advise when there is a sale on for nappies, wipes etc??

Tops had a buy one get one free sale on Pampers 2-3 weeks ago for large size only. We bought 10+ packs. They hold 42 or so?? Worked out at about 6 baht a piece. The hospital recommended we use Kodomo and we still use them. Sometimes Macro has a sale for pack of 26 (small & medium) 189 baht per pack, works out to 7 baht per nappy.

Tops also has 2 for 1 sales on Kodomo. My missus buys Kodomo from some bird she found online. The wipes we also buy when they are 2 for 1 at boots and sometimes at Central.

We also buy US export clothes from a lady online, superb quality for about 200 baht per piece. When we went to Australia my mum bought us some clothes from David Jones, which were in the $20-30 range and they all fell apart. Some after 1 wash. My missus was non too impressed.

Maybe we should open a thread where we can advise when there is a sale on for nappies, wipes etc??

Yeah post if theres any special offers you see for baby stuff!

Also whats the link for that 'lady online'??

Here's a quick question: Our two week old boy likes to kick his covers off at night, so we started using gro-bag type outfits (one big pouch with armholes, no special leg sections). They work great, except the only ones we've been able to find (Snooze Sack or something) are nearly 700 baht a throw. We use them a lot, but has anyone seen them cheaper? It'd be nice to have a bunch

Here's a quick question: Our two week old boy likes to kick his covers off at night, so we started using gro-bag type outfits (one big pouch with armholes, no special leg sections). They work great, except the only ones we've been able to find (Snooze Sack or something) are nearly 700 baht a throw. We use them a lot, but has anyone seen them cheaper? It'd be nice to have a bunch

Wow I paid 1700B for mine at Mothercare!! :o

You know one of the best places I found for majorly cheap stuff brand new or second hand is eBay, even with the shipping prices its cheaper than here, I bought a brand new avent breast pump for 1200 including shipping it's 2500 here, and a used avent steam steriliser for 1000B including shipping which is also 2500B here. I defo recomend eBay for cute used once baby clothes, I just got a door bouncer used on it aswell, you need a credit card and paypal set up though but well worth it if you ask me, I hate all this 300% tax on imported items crap!

We also buy in bulk when we can, no harm in saving a little money when you can. You'll be glad you did save a little bit when you get the bill for his birth certificate and passport (UK) lol] babywalkers im not to sure about yet. A friend has passed one on to us but he hasnt started using it yet, ill let you know how many times he falls flat on his face before I take it away from him.

Yeah I've just done that for my daughter, utter p1ss takers! If she's classed as a British Citizen it should be free for the birth cert at least, and they don't even fill it out in cursive like in England they just blandly printer it in!

For those wondering it's over 10000 Baht to regester the birth and get the certificate :o

nice thread

hello,

babies need a very mild washing powder, which is actually a liquid! look in your local (large supermarket) i.e carrefour, tesco) in the baby section, the washing liquid you need is called babi mild, there is a fabric wash and a conditioner, in a pinkish bottle or packet. normal washing detergent is too harsh for a babies skin and may cause reactions.

Went to Emporium yesterday, they have a special offer where if you buy a couple of packs of Mamy Poko you get a free plastic basket and entered into a free draw, although I don't think the nappies are actually any cheaper, I did ask 'Is this a sale?' but all I got in reply was 'You want Si XXL?' after a couple of repetitions I gave up! :o

At about 1000 baht a fortnight for nappies and wipes, it is not a huge cost but it is not inconsequential either.

Blimey! :-o

I thought 1000 baht-ish for a large quantity of cloth nappies was enough, but never thought disposables were *that* expensive!

I hope we're able to use the cloth nappies and don't change to disposables...Time will tell.

Blimey! :-o

I thought 1000 baht-ish for a large quantity of cloth nappies was enough, but never thought disposables were *that* expensive!

I hope we're able to use the cloth nappies and don't change to disposables...Time will tell.

Disposable nappies.

Depends how small the baby is.

First months, 5-6 nappies a day.

Then goes down to 4 nappies a day at 1 yr.

Then it depends how big is the pack you buy.

Starts from about 3000B per month and goes down as consumption decreases.

At 2 yrs (some say 1.5), no more nappies, maybe, at night.

Our baby is less than a week old and we are going through cloth nappies like nobody's business.

I have never seen sudocram over here; is it available?

Is it worth getting some sent from abroad?

Good thread by the way.

Our baby is less than a week old and we are going through cloth nappies like nobody's business.

I have never seen sudocram over here; is it available?

Is it worth getting some sent from abroad?

Good thread by the way.

No, I searched high and low for Sudocreme but Boots there own 'Castor oil and Zinc creme' in a small purple tub thats cheap and works really well, i've been using it and had no probs so far.

Bravo on using the cloth nappies btw, I never even considered them, too much work! :o

Shola, skeets

thanks for the head up re: washing powder/liquid.

I have another question about waterproofing mattresses. The cot mattress is just plain foam. I've seen rubber/plastic matting in the stores here - anyone here use these under sheets to help prevent leakages? Are they comfortable for the baby?

I think there is more material-like sheeting that looks more absorbent, but again all the writing seems to be in Thai so I can't figure out if they're waterproof...

Yeah post if theres any special offers you see for baby stuff!

Also whats the link for that 'lady online'??

There you go http://www.gig.pantown.com/

FWIW, little Sip's bowels have calmed down in the last couple of days, at 10 days old. He's gone from a kee with every chee, and up to 15-20 nappies each day (I was being over zealous on the changing instead of waiting for the secondary real kee that seemed to follow the initial wet f*rt everytime he was changed too quickly) and the last two days have been maybe 3 kees and maybe 8 chees.

I've seen rubber/plastic matting in the stores here - anyone here use these under sheets to help prevent leakages? Are they comfortable for the baby?

We saw thin rubber sheets at about 50baht, dimpled rubber sheets (like non-slip bathmats) at about 100baht, and 'Waterproof Sheets' by Papa which we picked up at Robinsons Ocean for...my brain has lost it...maybe 150-175 baht. They've a bit bigger than a normal sized mattress so will wrap around easily, but would just lie on top with a little to tuck in if used lengthwise.They're rubberised but with a clothlike cover so liquids don't get through, but they do make the surface damp. We're currently using one on the change table and one in the...whatdoyoucallit...like a flat car seat with a bouncy facility and wheels, mobile dangler and mosquito net. Sip spends most of the day and night in this on one of the Papa sheets wrapped in a thin blanket...actually a large sized cloth nappy. And there are no noticeable problems for him or us. Kee stains do get through but wash off easily and a spare sheet comes into play while the dirty one is wiped down and dried.

I expected to get a thin rubber sheet and some fitted bedsheets, but couldn't find them anywhere so ended up with these. Maybe a different use than what you intend, but I hope this helps :-)

Edited by markwhite

• 3 weeks later...