Need New Glasses Good For Computer And Normal Use

george

Getting old... I need better strength on my glasses. Currently I have those "combination lenses", the lower part for computer work/reading and the upper part for normal use.

My old glasses are a few years old now, and I really need to change. Any ideas of any new invented glasses that works better than those 50/50 thingies.

I am working a lot, maybe 12-16 hrs a day behind the computer screen and the eyes get sore. What to do?

I only want to own one pair suitable for both computer work and normal use.

Please advise!

Edited by dr_Pat_Pong

I haven't done it but suspect you might be better off with bifocal reading/computer (they are different distance) glasses for work and reading/distance type for time away from the computer. They make graduated type these days but have heard many people have a hard time adjusting to them and suspect a speck of dust would be a real problem with the limited area you have to sight through.

When I first got Bi-focals I was pulling levers on a dredge and had to see a couple of small air pressure guages on the panel,plus large vaccume and pressure guages,and the channel range markers a mile away.I could used my reading glasses down on my nose and looked over then and it worked fairly well.and would have been a pain in the but and no UV protection from the sun off of thee water. I have had other glasses made since then but stick to bi-focals and the pair I use today was made 7 years ago and the bi lens was placed correctly and they still work as well as a pair I had made a couple of years ago in CM. I do not use different distances for reading and computer so I do not need the tri-focals that some folks like. But the next pair I have made will have scratch resistant plastic bi-focal lens as I do not work out in the dirt anymore and they will last just fine and be a lot lighter to wear.

Getting old... I need better strength on my glasses. Currently I have those "combination lenses", the lower part for computer work/reading and the upper part for normal use.

My old glasses are a few years old now, and I really need to change. Any ideas of any new invented glasses that works better than those 50/50 thingies.

I am working a lot, maybe 12-16 hrs a day behind the computer screen and the eyes get sore. What to do?

I only want to own one pair suitable for both computer work and normal use.

Please advise!

I would have a talk about it with a good eye doctor if I were you, because there are a lot of factors involved. I went straight from ordinary glasses for short-sightedness to "progressives" (a.k.a. varifocals, multifocals, trifocals) when I was about 45. Progressives incorporate lenses for near distance, middle distance and long distance. They are fantastic for all-round convenience but I personally don't find them good for looking at a VDU for long periods. The problem is you have to look directly at whatever you want to see. Which means keeping your head fairly stationary when doing computer work, otherwise things drop slightly out of focus. On the other hand, I know people who have no problem with progressives and computers, but they don't use PCs as much as we do.

I ended up getting a pair of glasses with a single lens specifically for VDU (a bit longer focus than reading glasses), which I find easier on the eyes.

12-16 hours a day is probably too much. I used to do that and I developed something called asthenopia, which is a fancy word for eye-strain. Apparently, dry eyes are a symptom of asthenopia as well as a cause. Catch-22! But obviously not blinking much (as when staring at a VDU or programming), air-conditioning and many medications can dry your eyes out. The doctor I saw at Rutanin Eye Hospital said human eyes were not designed for fixing focus on close objects for a long time so it puts a lot of stress on the muscles, which results in headaches and muscle pain.

He gave me a bottle of artificial tears to use 4 times a day and told me to take a break every hour or so and focus on something far away. It seems to help. Also I try to avoid notebooks, and I use 800x600 resolution and a 17" screen on my desktop.

Also, make sure you always get lenses with an anti-reflective coating to prevent glare. It's more expensive, but worth it for preventing eye-strain.

I had the same problem George.

I had some glasses made just to use on the computer, because I spend most of my day (and night) sitting in front of the screen.

I have other reading glasses to use away from the computer.

I found this is the best option, because it is very difficult to get a combination that is correct and the split lens type make it very difficult to use with the screen.

(I tried it and gave up) :o

If your spending 12-16 hours looking at a computer screen, first, make sure the monitor's Refresh Rate is set as high as possible (75Hz or higher), as the human eye/brain can discern the "flicker" below 70Hz. (I have mine set at 85Hz.)

Even though you may not actually "see" it. This flicker will cause extreme mental fatigue over a long period.

Sidenote: My comments are based on work experience gathered during development tests conducted on aircraft "glass cockpits" for the military, Boeing and Airbus.)

Hi George:

WOW.......a 21 inch(er). Guess one could say you have a "big-one" :o

Seriously, you should be fine with the 75Hz setting. (It's certainly better than many of the current "flatplate" TFT screens which max out at 65Hz.)

The higher Hz rates are dependent on both the monitors specifications and the video card, plus the resolution you have set. If you have your Dell P1110 set at 1,600 x 1,200, then 75Hz appears to be about max and fine for most usage.

More technical info HERE:

Cheers

there is another thing to consider if you are spending many hours in front of the screen. You should vary your distance from the screen on a regular basis. This will dramatically cut down on eye strain.

Arrange your keyboard so that you can move it back and forwards up to three feet and move every twenty minutes or so. This will exercise your eyes enough to cut down on the strain, and pain.

The Chinese did a experiment over a period of time in exercising the focus of the eyes. They used any objet that they looked at and focused on and changed the position to be closer and then further away. After doing this several times a day over a period of time, it was noticed that eye sight improved.

I found that my eye sight went down quickly after getting into computers, and I put it down to my eyes focusing on a fixed distance over long periods of time.

I agree with P1P, this could be very beneficial, but I concentrate on what I am doing too much and forget about exercising my eyes.

Cheers,

Reg

George,

I'm in the same boat.

I'll follow this thread with interest.

Just don't go the guy opposite Suan Phlu Immigration.

I paid 13000B for normal and readers and they both fell apart within a year, I've been wearing gogs for 50 yrs and never had a pair fall apart. :o

• 3 weeks later...

As KevinN intimated, NEVER dry-wipe plastic eyeglasses.

Always rinse your plastic eyeglasses under running water (to remove dirt/grit) before cleaning.

I have a terrible problem with new prescriptions. Either the Optometrist or lens grinder, doesn't seem to know what the h*ll their doing. The only glasses which I find comfortable are over 20 years old. Have had at least 10 pairs made since, but which I can't wear.

Fortunately, I've heard (and noticed with my parents) your eyesight steadly improves after about 55.

If it didn't cost so much, and I wasn't such a coward, I'd probably go for the Lasic laser treatment.

Talked to my eye doctor about it once, and he said Lasic was OK for elderly people (like me) but he does not recommend it for young people, as not enough time has passed to gather sufficent data on long-term-benifits/problems.

I've had reading glasses for three years now, at the start of the year when I had my eyes tested and a new prescription I opted for varifocals, working in the office with frequent interruptions I found looking up to talk to people a pain as I'd have take my glasses off, or peer over the top of them; varifocals seemed a sensible option.

They're not, I junked them after a couple of weeks I couldn't work with them, so I've gone back to a standard pair of reading glasses, I just have to peer over the top at visitors.

The anti glare coating helps, I spend at least 8 and as much as 16hrs behind the laptop each day, regular tea breaks help as do a couple of drop of Viscotears now and again when my eyes get itchy.

I ended up getting a pair of glasses with a single lens specifically for VDU (a bit longer focus than reading glasses), which I find easier on the eyes.

I didn't know this was an options, I'll investigate next time I'm home, thanks.

George

No one has mentioned monovision it appears.

I wear contact lenses and for years kept reading glasses

(purchased at Rite-Aide, Save-on-Drugs, etc for $10)

all over the place. near TV, computer, in the car,

near phones, etc. Probably had 6 pair all over the house

and work. The contacts were for long vision/near-sightedness.

Anyway, when I stopped needing to be in front of a computer

all day I often got caught needing to see close. So ....

I tried monovision. I just take one contact out (the left one) and

now the right eye sees distance and the left eye yeilds perfect

reading vision. It took a little getting used to at first, but

I rarely think about it now. Sometimes playing tennis at night

I cannot pick up the ball as quickly as I'd like, but nothing

is perfect.

You might try this either with glasses (a dummy lens) or try

out contacts. I wear a lens for one month, sleep in it too.

Cost is $10 or $120/yr.

Hope this helps.

George

No one has mentioned monovision it appears.

I tried monovision. I just take one contact out (the left one) and

now the right eye sees distance and the left eye yeilds perfect

reading vision. It took a little getting used to at first, but

I rarely think about it now.

Monovision does not work well for 10 hours a day on the computer. Many people think it is perfect for a typical day of mixed visual tasks (shopping, watching TV, sitting in meetings, etc.). Very specific requirements such as long term near work or competitive athletics don't work so well.

A very simple way to calculate the power that you need for glasses is simply invert the distance in meters. Ex. a book 40 cm away (0.4 meters) requires a +2.5 pair of glasses. A computer monitor 50 cm away (0.5 meters) requires a +2.0 pair of glasses. A monitor 65 cm away requires a +1.50 pair of glasses.

Also subtract from this the following number based on age.

Age Subtract

42-44 1.75

45-47 1.5

48-50 1.25

51-53 1.0

54-56 0.75

57-59 0.5

60-62 0.25

63+ 0

Ex. Reading a book at 0.40 meters requires +2.50 pair of glasses. A 48 year old would subtract 1.25. Leaving +1.25.

Of course, people age slightly differently but it is actually fairly consistent. Also if you already have a prescription for glasses you would need to add that in as well.

Near-sighted prescriptions are minus while far-sighted prescription are plus.

A -3.00 near-sighted 48 year old would read comfortably with a -1.75 prescription and use a monitor at 0.57 meters with a pair of -2.50 glasses.

A -1.50 near-sighted 64 year old could just take of the glasses to look at a monitor at 65 cm.

Hope the math didn't get too confusing.

By the way, I am an eye doctor so I know a little bit about this.

The very first pair of eyeglasses I owned, at the ripe old age of 11, were bifocals. So I have 40 years of bifocal-wearing experience, 25 of them sitting in front of a computer.

Bifocals are better than the varifocal lenses if you spend most of your time doing close work like reading or looking at a distance. Once you reach a certain age, if you sit in front of a computer, the focal distance is wrong for both parts of a bifocal lens. The varifocal lenses will have a place that's just right, but you will have to hold your head JUST SO to keep to that place on the lens. For computer work it's best to get a special pair of glasses for that focal distance. With the non-glare coating. I know you said you only want one pair, but I also suspect you want to see and not have constant eyestrain.

As far as monitors go, I cannot tolerate a 70hz refresh rate. I have to have an 85hz refresh rate or I feel the flicker and get eyestrain. You need a better video card to do that if your monitor will support it. Good monitors do. But honestly, for old eyes like mine I recommend an LCD screen. No flicker! I replaced my 19" monitor with a 17" LCD and lost less than half an inch of display real estate. Try checking out a 19" LCD as a replacement for your 21" CRT.

Just my experience, again...YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...
It's certainly better than many of the current "flatplate" TFT screens which max out at 65Hz.

As the last post states, flicker isn't an issue for TFT screens, simply because they don't involve pixels made of phosphor that need refreshing... (Video a CRT, then an LCD and see the difference when you play it back!)

I do agree that the "ideal" solution seems to be a separate pair of glasses with the prescription set for the distance to your monitor. - once you've got them, just keep them next to the computer...

There are specific eyeglasses for computer users. The ones I know of are from a company called Prio. However, the nearest optician that does them is in Singapore, and I don't believe they're cheap...

http://www.prio.com/index.cfm

• 2 weeks later...

Calculating the requirement for +diopters or Add for computer glasses really is confusing. One website at www.eyefatigue.com does do a reasonable job of explaining the need for corrections but I stll needed to go in and try on various reading glasses at a 20" viewing distance before I could understand what they were talking about.