The Best Reason No To Buy A Condo In Pattaya?

farangfool

For a long time I have been thinking to buy a condo and get out of that monthly stay/rent business. More space, more privacy and hopefully less distasteful people around.

Well, looking at the market myself I met alot of nice expats trying to make the extra buck by trying to sell condos that were in termite infested buildings, out somewhere in the woods, or simply at crime central like the Nirun/Niran. Talking to real estate agents I felt soon that I had just upgraded from the first group to the advanced level. Extensive internet searches had been helpful in getting a sobering overview over prices. Keeping my mouth shut when talking to these people I was on the look out for a bargain or discounted price. Well, they tried to take me for a ride and asked more than on the web (usually in the 100 K or plus range) for exactly the same place (same building, same unit). Ok, you can avoid that by making yourself smart and use your knowledge to test to agent. Ah, before one of those agents starts lecturing me about the market and my own misconceptions: Just keep quiet if you one of those persons who sold houses to foreigners by the company route. I was told so much crap about it and I m only lucky that i listened to Thai friends who warned me. No need to trust anyone who was part of this.

Touring Pattaya outside my usual rounds, I noticed how much it has changed. Construction literally everywhere with buildings going further up. In a short time the coastline will be lined by a concrete wall. These developments remind my pretty much of something like US projects from the 1940s (View Talay comes here first to mind) and I wonder how they are built, having seen these older condos and their problems (cracks). Assuming that the construction is sound and you opt for a new place and put up that money. I had contacted three developers who made it clear that there was no guarantee that they would not sell more than 49% to foreigners. So I might end up screwed very easily. But even without the construction boom that just increases water shortage, traffic congestion etc. there is enough more to worry about.

A short perusal of this and other forums' news clipping shows that crime is more and more targeting farangs and that includes the resident community. Any predictions for that trend? Somehow I m reluctant to turn myself into a sitting duck waiting that my turn comes.

Let's assume you get into trouble and it is not so bad or even no trouble at all but some other health emergency. What comes next? You are caught in a prefectly corrupt emergency health situation. An administrator at a know hospital that pays bribes for you being delivered to them might effectively decide if you live or die. Unless, of course, if you give them your cc in time. Extortion.

Then the visa situation. Constant changes and with the new rules at Poipet the 90 day rule is not much worth anymore. Right, you can go somewhere else, but be sure that will change as well. Given the political climate in this country, I have no hope for a turn around concerning this chauvinistic attitude. So I might have condo and wont be able to live it in....

So with these thoughts and my amazement at the high prices for condos as compared to other locations I simply could not make up my mind and part from my hard earned money. It was not really decision but hesitancy. Nothing was really what I liked or I could feel comfortable with. All options were compromises and the only "positive" argument was that prices will go up more and it would just get worse.

Well, here is the final straw:

The plan for a nuclear power plant some 20-30 kms south of Pattaya. Surely, it will be perfectly safe like those Russian models, the renamed British processing plant, those old German reactors, and the American models (Harrisburg). So I do believe that the industry has only our best interest on its mind and is far from being only profit oriented. The issue the is the slow and continuous contamination of the air and the water. Perhaps the radiation will clean the sea water from Pattaya's sewer bacteria and I dont swim there anyhow, but the air.... But then, what price is too high to watch a melt down from the highest building in Thailand. I finally got it, why an apartment in such tower is a must.

In sum, it's time to look elsewhere for that retirement place we deserve.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting posting farangfool and amongst the reasons I consider that buying a condo in Pattaya(or Thailand) is not on:

1. Most of us are here are on at best one year visa, so what happens when they decide to refuse us extensions or change the law to our detriment?;

2. Agree it is never sure we can get within the 49% ownership;

3. Many farangs having bought find it difficult to resell;

4. There is glut of properties here, so renting is easier and less hassle, and one is not stuck in a district or with neighbours from hel_l;

5. What seems like a good place at first can change in a instance with nearby developments or work in progress from neighbours. and who know how some of these people running condo blocks will behave for charges/maintenance.

And will say nothing about "agents"!!!

etc, etc.

Edited by R123

Interesting posting farangfool and amongst the reasons I consider that buying a condo in Pattaya(or Thailand) is not on:

1. Most of us are here are on at best one year visa, so what happens when they decide to refuse us extensions or change the law to our detriment?;

2. Agree it is never sure we can get within the 49% ownership;

3. Many farangs having bought find it difficult to resell;

4. There is glut of properties here, so renting is easier and less hassle, and one is not stuck in a district or with neighbours from hel_l;

5. What seems like a good place at first can change in a instance with nearby developments or work in progress from neighbours. and who know how some of these people running condo blocks will behave for charges/maintenance.

And will say nothing about "agents"!!!

etc, etc.

Carry on renting !

post-41326-1186727908_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

For me the only significant negative is being on a 12 month leash with immigration. So if forced to leave in a hurry, what a lousy time to sell. And also there seems to some kind of crackdown on rules for farang landlords as well, although I don't pretend to understand the details about that.

Edited by Jingthing

For me the only significant negative is being on a 12 month leash with immigration. So if forced to leave in a hurry, what a lousy time to sell. And also there seems to some kind of crackdown on rules for farang landlords as well, although I don't pretend to understand the details about that.

That's interesting ? Is this under the proposed changes they tried to

push though Parliament on Wednesday ( FBA ) or something different ?

No, there is a lot of noise about increased enforcement of registering your tenants with immigration if you are a landlord. Might be a big hassle if you were the absentee owner of a rental condo who couldn't get a visa extension.

Edited by Jingthing

Touring Pattaya outside my usual rounds, I noticed how much it has changed. Construction literally everywhere with buildings going further up. In a short time the coastline will be lined by a concrete wall. These developments remind my pretty much of something like US projects from the 1940s (View Talay comes here first to mind) and I wonder how they are built, having seen these older condos and their problems (cracks). Assuming that the construction is sound and you opt for a new place and put up that money. I had contacted three developers who made it clear that there was no guarantee that they would not sell more than 49% to foreigners. So I might end up screwed very easily. But even without the construction boom that just increases water shortage, traffic congestion etc. there is enough more to worry about.

And I am also amazed at the relatively short refurbishment and major repair cycles here ............

Older condo buildings always seem to be having major repairs done to them

or needing a facelift even when they are not that old by our standards :o

I am in the same position and having lived here for years will not buy, it is fraught with danger, the biggest one being something that I can't even discuss on this or any other website, I am sure most Thailand vets know what I am on about.

It is a nice place to live but to put your faith in it is another matter. I keep my place abroad cos I know any of us could be out of here at very short notice, regardless of family ties, kids, property, residency etc. There are just no guarantees here.

If you can afford to walk away from it then that is a different story and you are very lucky.

My Thai friends have been trying to shift a house just outside BKK and a condo in Thong Lor for over 2 years now.

My perspective is from someone who has already bought and is "retired" here.

If things work out over the years, even if I manage to stay here 5 or 10 years, I think it will have been overall a good investment. At the level I bought my condo versus the level they rent for represents an excellent return on money. If I end up having to sell after that amount of time, I am optimistic enough to think there is an excellent chance I will even make a handsome profit. But all of this entails quite a large amount of risk. But you know there is risk in our home countries as well. If you had bought a Florida condo a few years ago at the top of the market, you could out hundreds of thousands of dollars now.

Would I do it again if I really knew before what I know now? Probably not. But so many things in life are like that. I suggest people looking for more stable retirement programs look at other countries that actually offer them. Thailand doesn't and in my opinion never will.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the responses. I looked up the program Malaysia offers. Well, it sounds like paradise compared to what we are going through here. 3 months stamps without visa. Decent banking and limited deposits (after an initial phase): xxx.mm2h.gov.my/link.php

Not that I m keen to breath the haze from the Indonesian bush fires that went as far as Satun recently, but it gives me an idea what attitudes could be if people want to. Once you compare the conditions there and here, it is not only much more favorable but it even gives you a pretty bleak idea about Thai views on foreigners. It obviously does not matter that we are spending money we made abroad and show a decent conduct.

In Malaysia I would have less trouble with this visa nightmare here which gets worse by the month and the rules are not dependable at all as they change constantly.

Secondly, I can own a house and dont need to play all these games to own it which in the end are just tricks to get control over my assets. I also dont have to put with crap landlords or fraudulent condo administrators.

Well, Malaysia is a Muslim country and I dont know if I really want to put up with it. I dont suggest that they are fanatics as they welcoming immigrant policy shows.

Aside from Malaysia I checked Cambodia. I like the country to some extent for shorter periods of time, but it is really tough and for an aging person the wrong place in the end. The absence of legal process and a criminal government run by ex(?)-killers is not reassuring.

So, for the moment, I started wondering about Vietnam. Also a country with a strong culture, nice climate, good food, and friendly people. Perhaps that's the way to go. I know that there is no walking street etc. but i can do without that anyhow. The one single advantage Pattaya has is that people speak English here and, at least for the moment, less pollution than BKK.

Has anyone looked into the Vietnam option?

Last time I checked, Vietnam has no retirement visa option at all. I don't expect they will anytime soon either. So you would have set up a business. Cambodia has almost no medical care, it is a horrible retirement choice and also has no retirement visa option so you would have to use a business visa. Cambodia I expect will be much better in 10 - 15 years or so. The Philippines retirement program is even better and easier than Malaysia and it is for LIFE not 5 or 10 years, they have recently radically reduced the amount of ONE TIME (not annual) deposit required and you can use it to buy a condo or other investments. No pension needed. If you have a good pension, your options are vast in different parts of the world. The Philippines hopes to attract 2 million baby boomer expat retirees. And they are doing all they can to lure them in, so you couldn't be more welcome than that. (Compare and contrast.)

Also note, there is noise that there is a fair chance that Malaysia is going to become more of a radical Islamist state (sharia law and all that). So every choice has its pros and cons, eh?

Edited by Jingthing

Last time I checked, Vietnam has no retirement visa option at all. I don't expect they will anytime soon either. So you would have set up a business. Cambodia has almost no medical care, it is a horrible retirement choice and also has no retirement visa option so you would have to use a business visa. Cambodia I expect will be much better in 10 - 15 years or so. The Philippines retirement program is even better and easier than Malaysia and it is for LIFE not 5 or 10 years, they have recently radically reduced the amount of ONE TIME (not annual) deposit required and you can use it to buy a condo or other investments. No pension needed. If you have a good pension, your options are vast in different parts of the world. The Philippines hopes to attract 2 million baby boomer expat retirees. And they are doing all they can to lure them in, so you couldn't be more welcome than that. (Compare and contrast.)

Also note, there is noise that there is a fair chance that Malaysia is going to become more of a radical Islamist state (sharia law and all that). So every choice has its pros and cons, eh?

Thanks for the info.

I fully agree on Cambodia and health. Ironically you might end up in exactly the same hospital you want to avoid in Pattaya at all cost..... That scam seems to spread like fungus. I even saw their ads on billboards in Roi Et.

Vietnam would have been lovely.

I excluded the PH so far becos limited visa options and the need to fly in case of a visa run. It seems, English is much more common in PH and better beaches with clean water. Hmmm. I'll check that.

Do you have a weblink or some key words for googling on PH?

Sure thing:

http://www.plra.gov.ph/main/index.php?pid=178〈=1

You can also stay for years on a tourist visa there. You fly in and get a 21 day stamp. Then do extensions every 2 months (you can pay a travel agent to go in for you so you don't even need to wear nice clothes). Then, before one year is up, you fly to Hong Kong or Thailand for a holiday, then repeat. Most people stay there that way. However, their new liberalized retirement program is now probably the most attractive in the world for the serious retiree (especially those without a pension) so definitely worth a look. Cebu City and environs appears to be a very popular option. Manila is of course a hel_l hole. I have been to Cebu City and it is alright and it seemed livable with cost levels similar to Pattaya. Even a few large modern shopping malls. I don't like it as much as Thailand. I think most of us Thaiphiles wouldn't either. There are smaller islands easily accessible from Cebu that except for the grinding poverty of the residents, are like paradise. But most of us wouldn't want to live full time in such places (no services). Also, of course, English is the second official language of the Islands. When a Cebuano talks to someone from Manila, they speak English.

Note; the lowering of the money requirement there is quite recent and is still considered experimental. They could raise the amount back up at any time, but if you are approved at the current level, you are set for life as long as you follow the rules and pay the annual fees.

A funny irony. The Philippines officially wants 2 million expat retirees. Even with their liberal offer, I don't think they will get anywhere near that amount of people. Thailand on the other hand appears to be in the process of shaking out their existing retirees and certainly not encouraging millions to come. If Thailand offered the same program as the Philippines, I think they could surpass the 2 million within a few years. Not going to happen of course, but it clearly shows the different situations.

Edited by Jingthing

I am in the same position and having lived here for years will not buy, it is fraught with danger, the biggest one being something that I can't even discuss on this or any other website, I am sure most Thailand vets know what I am on about.

It is a nice place to live but to put your faith in it is another matter. I keep my place abroad cos I know any of us could be out of here at very short notice, regardless of family ties, kids, property, residency etc. There are just no guarantees here.

If you can afford to walk away from it then that is a different story and you are very lucky.

My Thai friends have been trying to shift a house just outside BKK and a condo in Thong Lor for over 2 years now.

Its a sad fact that we just cant relax in the knowledge we are secure, .ive considered buying, im here on a retirement and married,. i want my wife and daughter to end up with all i have and leave so ownership in my name matters not,.but as for me personally i dont see property here as an investment, i know there are others that make money but on the whole how can it be when we are paying the same rent as we were 7 years ago and i see condos to rent in view talay for the same now as it was back then,.i find the thai attitude to us now more than a bit disheartening,. its as if they dont need us now and are trying to drive us out, and yes i still love thailand ,but we all have our breaking point,.

25 years ago, I was told that all Thailand needs you to do is come once, open a bank account, transfer all your money into it, then leave and don't come back. Nothing has changed then.

I lived in Pattaya from 1980 to 1990, owning several properties through the 'thai company' option (when it was less onerous) but sold up and moved out after one-too-many requests for a backhander, a bottle of VSOP or some other favour from some government desk jockey when all I wanted to do was the legal thing such as pay taxes or transfer ownership. Even paying off the traffic cop for a speeding ticket although convenient, got old. I deemed it a fools paradise.

I moved back into town about 1 year ago and I am happy renting. I am building a house up north which I have neither the intention or desire to own in my name. It will probably cost me about US$35k but that's an amount I am prepared to walk away from if things go totally pear-shaped as it most certainly will when the inevitable fact that jackmuu refers to is upon the Land of Smiles.

I would rule out any country that alludes to socialism so Burma, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia are all non-starters. Indonesia is way too much a powder keg, much more than Malaysia could ever be and the Philippines just has too many guns for hire, in your face; it's like Peru or Brazil. What value a nice 3 bedroom condo in a smart, clean part of town when you need armed security to make sure the sidewalk is clear before you can drive out of your little 'paradise'?

If Thailand's xenophobia gets too much, I think Malaysia would be my next home and a much better candidate for a place to retire. I think the farang would blend in much better there.

25 years ago, I was told that all Thailand needs you to do is come once, open a bank account, transfer all your money into it, then leave and don't come back. Nothing has changed then.

I lived in Pattaya from 1980 to 1990, owning several properties through the 'thai company' option (when it was less onerous) but sold up and moved out after one-too-many requests for a backhander, a bottle of VSOP or some other favour from some government desk jockey when all I wanted to do was the legal thing such as pay taxes or transfer ownership. Even paying off the traffic cop for a speeding ticket although convenient, got old. I deemed it a fools paradise.

I moved back into town about 1 year ago and I am happy renting. I am building a house up north which I have neither the intention or desire to own in my name. It will probably cost me about US$35k but that's an amount I am prepared to walk away from if things go totally pear-shaped as it most certainly will when the inevitable fact that jackmuu refers to is upon the Land of Smiles.

I would rule out any country that alludes to socialism so Burma, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia are all non-starters. Indonesia is way too much a powder keg, much more than Malaysia could ever be and the Philippines just has too many guns for hire, in your face; it's like Peru or Brazil. What value a nice 3 bedroom condo in a smart, clean part of town when you need armed security to make sure the sidewalk is clear before you can drive out of your little 'paradise'?

If Thailand's xenophobia gets too much, I think Malaysia would be my next home and a much better candidate for a place to retire. I think the farang would blend in much better there.

I fully agree on Cambodia and Laos. Cambodia for the horrible insecurity due to that disguised Red Khmer government and the degree of violence. The chauvinism is actualy worse than in Thailand. People usually dont sense it as visiting Khmer ruins is well within the Cambodian nationalist parameters. Once you have a slight conflict of interest (such as bus fares etc.) it gets worse. When I told them that they are 3-4 times higher than in Thailand (I was supposed to pay triple) they told me that I had my mind disturbed by Thais and become one of them. That kind was old Red Khmer talk justifying the killing Vietnamese Cambodians. So they are not that far from their past.

Laos is beautiful and really nice people. But you're right no way to stay there. I spoke to one expat in Savannaket. He was married to a Laotian wife for decades and when they moved back he was a tough thing to get an id. But at least you have a very open-minded federal mentality - nothing like in thailand trying to present all as ethnic thais and white-washing their own history. Laos is more humble and realistic.

I m researching PH now. Do suggest that street crime etc. is a general phenomenon or more likely a big city problem. I saw that - like in Thailand - we can own condos as freehold but land has to be leased - unlike in Malaysia. The retirement option is a bit confusing with info on 50 000 or 75000 US downpayment that can then be used to buy a place. What a difference to Thailand. Malaysia has similar conditions but I can own a house......(!).

Did you stay there when they had the haze? I m concerned about that kind of pollution although if someone buys a BKK condo, he get's pretty much the same deal (possibly worse).

From all responses I read, there seems to be a growing discomfort about where things are going here. Sure that nuke plant is still far away but .... What pissed me off most right now were the new rules at the Cambodian border with the airline tickets. I had my Thai visa (totally over priced in comparison to the neighbouring countries) and was expecting that the Thais would keep their part of the deal. Big mistake. I have now another visa for a third country and will see what happens when I hope to get my first 30 day stamp. The response will be test.

It seems that the government works hard to turn places like pattaya finally into an al-out whore house with short term customers coming in and out. More refined and settled people are not wanted, no matter what the local elites claim. It seems it is just some face saving. After all, they profit most and not the deprived farm girls selling their bodies.

condos are WAY overpriced. i just saw ad in trader in nirun (?!?!?!) for flat 925k!!!!!!!!

if the thai govt allowed farang tobuy land that 6 mill you drop on a condo could buy you a 2 rai and another 2 mill for the house - less than one km from ocean

property mkt will crash in a year anyway -

condos are WAY overpriced. i just saw ad in trader in nirun (?!?!?!) for flat 925k!!!!!!!!

if the thai govt allowed farang tobuy land that 6 mill you drop on a condo could buy you a 2 rai and another 2 mill for the house - less than one km from ocean

property mkt will crash in a year anyway -

We had a nice discussion on that prestigious place some time ago. Search the board. That agent might have done you a huge favor. MARKET: Yup, I was checking some BKK prices. Falling but stil crazy - not that I would buy there anyhow.

I think the best measure would not to compare Pattaya prices as such but to put them in relation to other SEA locations. Then we get an idea how the jerks have inflated the prices here.

Houses? When I was thinking about buying one 2-3 yrs ago I went to the other side of suk and had a look around, later i saw similar things at the Bang Saen by-pass from the bus (pacific something it was called). The houses are extremely primitive in their structure. Some more or less solid but always thin concrete pillars, then those cheap 10 cm thick elements to built the walls. After that all is nicely painted and looks really good from the outside. My garage was better built than that. So the catalogs and the tours of finished locations dont give you the real picture. Visit some construction sides and then start running. As for the condo market. All of jomtien will be built up. First the high rises and then the lower ones before the high rises (see paradise condo) etc. So we look at easy a full decade of constant construction, dirt trucks and all that comes with it.

hey - if you want to know how stupid prices are in pattaya, check them against bangkok. the outskirts of bkk are about the same. further, you can buy many, many places in malaysia and pay less an dget more AND ...it has rule of law.

finally - no self respecting thai would live anywhere near pattaya, esp a condo (!!) so when you go to resell youre screwed.

if i wear to buy a condo (and had been thinking about it) it would be in the 3-600k range. i could sell it off in ten years and been living for free. so dont slag those nirun guys, maybe more clever than you think.

hey - if you want to know how stupid prices are in pattaya, check them against bangkok. the outskirts of bkk are about the same. further, you can buy many, many places in malaysia and pay less an dget more AND ...it has rule of law.

finally - no self respecting thai would live anywhere near pattaya, esp a condo (!!) so when you go to resell youre screwed.

if i wear to buy a condo (and had been thinking about it) it would be in the 3-600k range. i could sell it off in ten years and been living for free. so dont slag those nirun guys, maybe more clever than you think.

300-600 K agreed. That is what i might walk away from. Nirun guys - nothing against anyone in particular. I just had checked, read web boards, newspapers, look around myself and I cant see myself or friends visiting me there. Too much crime and drugs. Maybe the Pattaya mayor should have a closer look at his place.

The plan for a nuclear power plant some 20-30 kms south of Pattaya

Thats a first for me... does anyone have more information about this?

I'v searched everywhere and even google cant find any information about any power plant plans near Pattaya.

And NanLaew, you say

the Philippines just has too many guns for hire
... I thought you were kidding until I saw this sign at a bar in Manilla... "No weapons inside - Please leave them at front desk" :o:D :D (a friend of mine who go there a lot calls it the wild wild west)

I'v searched everywhere and even google cant find any information about any power plant plans near Pattaya.

And NanLaew, you say

... I thought you were kidding until I saw this sign at a bar in Manilla... "No weapons inside - Please leave them at front desk" :o:D:D (a friend of mine who go there a lot calls it the wild wild west)

here it is:

Naval base proposed as site for nuclear plant

APINYA WIPATAYOTIN

The armed forces have offered a naval base in Chon Buri as a possible site for a nuclear power plant if other sites face opposition, a source said.

The military's proposal could help the project along, although the government has yet to finalise a decision on whether to build such a plant.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont recently dusted off the plan, suspended for more than 20 years, citing the need for energy security.

The government considers Ranong, Chumphon and Surat Thani as the best sites, as they are close to the sea. The station needs water to cool its reactors.

The government has drawn up plans for a nuclear plant that could generate 4,000 megawatts by 2021.

The source said the naval base in Sattahip district fitted the conditions required for such a plant.

''Geographically, the Sattahip navy base is suitable as the water there is deep and it is remote from the local community,'' a source said.

Science and Technology Minister Yongyuth Yutthawong refused to react to the armed forces' offer, saying he had not been consulted.

''I can't say whether it is true or not. What I can say right now is that no decision has been made on the site. We need more time,'' he said.

He added that the ministry has been waiting for the government to approve a 10-million-baht budget to educate people about nuclear energy, and hold public hearings.

''We can't construct the plant without public support,'' he said.

Construction of the plant would take five years to complete and a decision on where to build it could be reached by October.

Korb Krittayakeeron, a former National Science and Technology Development Agency official, is chairman of a committee on the feasibility of the plant, with six sub-committees also looking at the issue.

Bangkok Post

And NanLaew, you say

... I thought you were kidding until I saw this sign at a bar in Manilla... "No weapons inside - Please leave them at front desk" :o:D :D (a friend of mine who go there a lot calls it the wild wild west)

There's been several articles in the Bangkok Post over the past 6 weeks. The military government don't seem averse to the recycling idea and Chulanont himself is leading the charge.

Bangkok Post 9th August: http://www.bangkokpost.com/090807_News/09Aug2007_news09.php

Don't sweat the nuclear power station in Sattahip though. Reckon Thailand has 3 prime sites for such an adventure, Ranong, Chumphon and Surat Thani but someone reckons the Navy land in Sattahip could be an option. Apart from people, politics and the backhanders, siting a nuclear facility has a lot more to do with geology (stable containment) than seawater (cooling). However, nobody in the navy or government sees this as being an issue (he says as he looks at the cracks in his 8 month-old condo walls and sinking runways at Suvarnabhumi).

But the Philippines have nothing on the 'Loreauville Knife & Gun Club' when they held their annual crawfish boil and pissup at Lola's Depot on Hwy 90 in New Iberia, LA. As I paused to enter the hootenanny, the bouncer asked me, "Y'got a weapon on ya?" When I replied to the negative he offered, "D'ya want one?"

And NanLaew, you say

... I thought you were kidding until I saw this sign at a bar in Manilla... "No weapons inside - Please leave them at front desk" :o:D:D (a friend of mine who go there a lot calls it the wild wild west)

There's been several articles in the Bangkok Post over the past 6 weeks. The military government don't seem averse to the recycling idea and Chulanont himself is leading the charge.

Bangkok Post 9th August: http://www.bangkokpost.com/090807_News/09Aug2007_news09.php

Don't sweat the nuclear power station in Sattahip though. Reckon Thailand has 3 prime sites for such an adventure, Ranong, Chumphon and Surat Thani but someone reckons the Navy land in Sattahip could be an option. Apart from people, politics and the backhanders, siting a nuclear facility has a lot more to do with geology (stable containment) than seawater (cooling). However, nobody in the navy or government sees this as being an issue (he says as he looks at the cracks in his 8 month-old condo walls and sinking runways at Suvarnabhumi).

But the Philippines have nothing on the 'Loreauville Knife & Gun Club' when they held their annual crawfish boil and pissup at Lola's Depot on Hwy 90 in New Iberia, LA. As I paused to enter the hootenanny, the bouncer asked me, "Y'got a weapon on ya?" When I replied to the negative he offered, "D'ya want one?"

Where is your condo? Rented or bought?

Does the OP spend a lot of time writing about what he's NOT going to do, seems a bit strange to me.

Solosiam some of us are interested in what the OP had to say :o

However I find equally strange that you obviosly have nothing better to

do with your time than post such an inane comment :D

the bigest off putter is when they build another condo about 10feet from your window cutting off all the light and seaview and allowing you to shake hands across the void with your new unwanted neighbour ! and you can have chats with them whilst you are still in bed .

the bigest off putter is when they build another condo about 10feet from your window cutting off all the light and seaview and allowing you to shake hands across the void with your new unwanted neighbour ! and you can have chats with them whilst you are still in bed .

Yes, of course. But you can defend against this. I walked away from a deal here once because there was a large tract of totally clear green land right next to the condo (in Jomtien). I tried to find out who owned it but it didn't really matter. It was a big risk for future construction so I walked away. On the contrary, if there is something stable already built right near your condo, you are likely A OK for a very long time.