Racism In Thailand

bangkoksingapore

This thread makes me wonder about something.

In the US Asian folks who think and act like white folks are called (by other Asians) bananas. Yellow outside, white inside.

What shall we call white folks who think and act like (hiso?) Thai people? Is there any fruit that fits the bill?

People of south asian origin who tries to emulate whites are called 'coconuts' in the UK, brown outside, white inside. :o

Can't think of any fruit but the reverse is called a pao????? Chubby white bun and dark stuffings inside!!!!!!

Back to OP, in your case it's not racism, it's stereotyping. Popular notion here is that if your are dark you are poor...simple.

Don't let these ignorant gits gets to you.

My wife is reasonably dark-skinned and very short. But she is smart and not sporting any tattoes! I am very well educated and well-spoken. When we venture out (either alone or together), we have encountered nothing but friendliness and politeness from Thais - and a mixture of friendliness and rudeness from farangs....

Simon

Short and dark gal/boy + falang doesn't automatically equal a pro. It's the fidgety lack of confidence, audible overcompensation (often at high volume) for that, often coupled with changing the "where we met" story over time that are the most common giveaways IMO.

As for hiring policies based on attractiveness... there are more than a few studies regarding this to suggest that it's fairly common in a lot of places in the world. Attractiveness sells.

:o