Change In Thai Law To Attract Retirees?

Filer

You may, like me, be amazed at the reporting in yesterday's London Times (its property supplement), which states that

"Thailand ...is trying to attract foreign investors and retirees to its shores."

"...Thailand is proposing a change in the law to attract retirees."

Here is a scan of the relevant text

See the image caption and the 3rd TopTips bullet.

Thgis is not a 'sponsored' supplement, but the Times's own editorial matter. No doubt the Times is simply, without checking it, reprinting PR material put out by one or other international property agency which has property interests in Thailand.

The thought of a pro-retiree change in the law!

I have emailed to the Editor of the Times to ask what he knows that nobody in Thailand knows.

post-33848-1186810966_thumb.jpg

Don't get your hopes up because the visa trends appear to be in the opposite direction.

Read the exact context of this item.

It is about property investment overseas for Brits.

The mention of Thailand follows a mention of how Vietnam has liberalized their expat home ownership laws. I read this as to mean Thailand is considering liberalizing a REAL ESTATE related rule that would be of interest to retirees, not retirement visa rules. BTW, Vietnam offers no retirement visa option at all.

Heres the rub for Thailand. So its easy to buy condos, easy to lease land/build houses. And then all they offer is a 12 MONTH leash for retirees who have cashed up to move to a stable retirement, which does not exist here. The visas for retirement should be for life, or at least 10 years. Then they will have something. 12 months isn't a retirement, its a long vacation.

Edited by Jingthing

Probably someone wanting to unload some over priced condos.

:o

You may, like me, be amazed at the reporting in yesterday's London Times (its property supplement), which states that

"Thailand ...is trying to attract foreign investors and retirees to its shores."

"...Thailand is proposing a change in the law to attract retirees."

Here is a scan of the relevant text

See the image caption and the 3rd TopTips bullet.

Thgis is not a 'sponsored' supplement, but the Times's own editorial matter. No doubt the Times is simply, without checking it, reprinting PR material put out by one or other international property agency which has property interests in Thailand.

The thought of a pro-retiree change in the law!

I have emailed to the Editor of the Times to ask what he knows that nobody in Thailand knows.