Defragmenting

bonsaimax

When I run the disk defragmenter, it says that for it to run effectively, it needs 15% of the Hard disk space free. (I have less than 15 %). And after running it, it says that some files (.dmp) cannot be defragmented.

Two questions:

1) Will it affect my PC if I just delete the .dmp files from the (WINDOWS) folder?

2) Will using a program called Partition Magic be safe to re-partition my HDD?

Thanks

The latest versions of Windows have a utility to delete unwanted files.

Run that first before defragging.

Any files like .tmp dmp can be deleted.

Partition Magic is magic for partitioning your disk, but it will not help if your disk is already full.

You need to do some drastic housekeeping to tidy up your disk, or add/upgrade to a bigger disk

Whatever you do..backup your data soon.. :o

If you get errors while defrag, you may Scan your Disk and then try to defrag again. I do not think you can create 15% free space by running windows Disk Cleanup utility.

Delete those XXX pics..they take lot of space.. :D

[FYI, 40BG (GB) is now less than 3,000Bht]

Many factors here. What Windows Os are you using? What size hard disk? Is it in multiple partitions? IF so and you want to make one large partition then you can use Partition magic to do that.

Why are you defragmenting in the first place?

Back up your data and reinstall if possible.

Thank you all for your replies.

My PC is running on windows XP Pro, and has a 40 G HDD partitioned into 2. The 10G partition contains system files and is only 13% free, while the 30G partition is still 45% free, hence my queries about using Partition Magic. I was hoping to re-partition it into 20G & 20G.

I am definitely looking into purchasing another HDD. BTW, how will it be possible to back my desktop data into my notebook? My notebook also has an empty 40G HD.

Thx again.

The *.dmp files are created when your computer blues screens. If you don't want to send them to Microsoft for analysis you can delete them.

Why are you defragmenting in the first place?

Why not? I do it every week to keep my harddrive up to speed!