Please Settle Debate About Bkk And Nyc

SiamSquare123

BKK vs NYC  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i lived in brooklyn for a year and i would walk through most of it at night with no probs.

there are areas of NY (East NY etc.) you want to be careful in, but most people have no reason to go into them.

in BKK though, i feel like something can pop up anywhere you are, and you are less likely to see it coming as it is a different culture so you may not recognize danger when it is there.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o Well I've spent time in both BKK and NYC.

I've been robbed in NYC and shot at once while riding a bus in NYC.

I've never had either of those happen to me in BKK.

The way I look at it, NYC has two sriikes against it already on that scale.

Give me BKK over NYC anytime (besides the people in NYC are rude a**holes)

guess it's down to experience then, because i find quite a lot of bangkokians to be rude <deleted> and NYers overall pretty nice, plus I have had several probs in BKK and none in NY!

i lived in brooklyn for a year and i would walk through most of it at night with no probs.

there are areas of NY (East NY etc.) you want to be careful in, but most people have no reason to go into them.

in BKK though, i feel like something can pop up anywhere you are, and you are less likely to see it coming as it is a different culture so you may not recognize danger when it is there.

:o No body actually lives in Brooklyn, they just suffer through that condition.

I am a girl, 21, and have lived in NYC on and off for about 7 years, and have lived here in BKK for one, and NYC BY FAR is much safer then BKK.. It is so much cleaner, safer, etc. You can go out at night late as you want (alone as agirl) and you are safe. here in bkk, no way, not safe at all. I mean you dont go out in harlem or brooklyn like that, but in NYC its much safer then BKK.

Last time I looked Brooklyn and Harlem were still parts of NYC. Here in Bangkok would you walk alone through Khlong Toei at night?

Umm no actually you are wrong. Harlem and Brooklyn are considered there own city, such as harlem and brooklyn. thats why NYC is an ISLAND where brooklyn is south of the ISLAND and Harlem is in the NORTH. Just to set you straight. I lived there almost all my life. and BANGKOK is not safe , esp for foreign women. I have experienced much unsafe things here already. where in NY, i never have. So please get your facts stragiht.

Nonsense. New York City comprises five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. Harlem is on the north side of Manhattan. Source: The official government of New York City website nyc.gov

I don't like to get pissy, but 200mphplus is starting to back up all those stereotypes about Americans being crappy at geography, especially about a place where one has ostensibly lived "almost their whole life" You don't know that groongthep's right? You don't actually know that there are 5 boroughs, and that Harlem is actually IN Manhattan? I knew all this as a teenager from Boston before I'd ever been there! Maybe because I hated the Yankees and it's good to "know thine enemy"

Actually to the point, this highlights one strong aspect of NYC, the neighborhoods. I lived in Park Slope (Brooklyn) in '92-'94 and it was a bit run-down, could be dangerous now and then, but up-and-coming. Near Prospect Park (Brooklyn's sort of Central Park stand-in), so it's nice, but my girlfriend would not go jogging around that park alone after dark. Park Slope is now unaffordable for anybody (including me) without SERIOUS money, unless you luck out with a rent-control joint, which people guard like family jewels. There are SO MANY neighborhoods in Brooklyn alone, you can't generalize about Brooklyn's like this, etc. So for me, I don't have enough experience in BKK, lived there for 2 years, and its many areas, but there are places in NYC you (and the locals) sure don''t want to go (e.g., Brownsville, where Mike Tyson's from) after dark (or during the day, if you're unlucky) , and places that are pretty safe round the clock (Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg, none of which I could afford to move back to.)

Even though I'm from Boston, I loved Brooklyn, interesting people from everywhere, and more importantly, food :o from everywhere!

Edited by calibanjr.