Maxnet Driving Me Crazy.

Thailand Tiger

I've been having problems with MaxNet. I'm on 1024/512 and had no problems until recently. I get pretty decent speeds for HTTP stuff (Port 80)...usually around 850kbps (Tested with http://www.speedtest.net/) and running a speedtest utility http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/ that tests speed by running a VOIP simulation gives good results also.

Great, but the minute I fire up Azureus, speeds for almost everything drops to a trickle...HTTP is untouched, but the last VOIP speedtest is 1.30kbps (Yes kbps, not kBps or Mbps). I've been in contact with MaxNet every day for the last week with no result. They sent a tech to the house...he ran speedtest.net, announced everything ok and left. I just cannot get anyone to understand my problem let alone action it.

I've tried all manner of things to diagnose the problem and can rule out the computer, router and telephone line.

Is this part of some plan by MaxNet to give a 1kbps service to 1024kbps customers and save themselves the cost of bandwidth? It appears to be a primitive attempt at traffic shaping.

Can anyone shed any light on this. Anyone else having the same issues?

post-36791-1186938830_thumb.jpg

Strap yourself in buddy boy because here is the solution faster than 767 piloted by a knucklehead terrorist who can't fly.

Yeah, sure they flew it into the Pentagon.

You need to port forward your chosen port for the bit torrent - if you don't upload then thou shalt not download quickly.

The issue is not as simple as port forwarding or encryption. I have no problem getting incoming connections. I've tried limiting all peer comms to encrypted (ie. no fall back to non-encrypted). I've tried HTTP tunnelling for tracker comms. I've tried binding the local port to an assigned port. None of these things work.

Once the the throttling is triggered, it's across all peers on all ports being used by Azureus (and other ports as evidenced by the VOIP simulation). It seems that if Maxnet can't recognise the traffic as "authorised" traffic; HTTP, SMTP or whatever they trigger a throttle which stays until reset. I've been able to reset the throttle by powering down the router and powering up again. I've even tried stopping everything in Azureus, resetting the router, and restarting torrents. Within a very short time, the throttle is back in place again.

Are other Maxnet users having the same issue? Perhaps it isn't Maxnet policy and I'm just being routed through a server they screwed the traffic shaping configuration on?

Guest Reimar

The Torrent downloads are slows done the last few weeks because of the limitations from the ISP's. They try to limit the download to the same rates as the uploads to balance the traffic. For sure they have a high download traffic because of the huge downloads of movies and software! From this point of view it's understandable that they limit the traffic.

I using Torrent up- and downloads for transfering Data from and to private server's, mainly universities. At the time the transfer rates was dropping, I tested different Torrent Clients a for me Azureus was one of the most bad one. Finally I came back to uTorrent. But even in uTorrent the speed was dropping rapidly. Bedfore I was getting 220 + kBps down but now the most time of the day at the same lavel as the upload!

But with Azureus the download wasn't more than max 20 kBps while the uploads was 48 kBps.

My connection is 2560/512 TRUE.

I've been having exactly the same problems with my Maxnet 1024/512 connection for the past couple of weeks. New torrents will start fast and then quickly drop speed until they settle around 3-5 kBs per sec. I'm using Azureus and the upload speeds are still very good.

Non-torrent download speeds vary considerably but, again, upload speeds are usually good.

Normal surfing is usually good but there are times when I get timeouts.

Listening to radio stations is now out of the question with distortion and buffering, but I am able to listen to radio on my dial-up connection with good quality.

Running speedtests to Thai servers returns readings of over 800 with a ping of around 50, but repeating the test to Singapore will result in readings of about 150-200 with a ping of 600-700. Tests to Europe and USA return similar readings to that of Singapore.

Maxnet have certainly changed something recently.

Edited by thaireg

Seems I'm not the only one having problems then. I hope this is just something they've screwed up and will correct in time. If it turns out to be Maxnet policy moving forward then I for one will be cancelling. I'm certainly not prepared to accept 1kbps on a 1024kbps package.

For now folks, might I suggest protesting to these new changes at your nearest TT&T office. Perhaps if enough of us are a pain in the *ss they'll find removing the throttle to be easier than dealing with unhappy customers.

If only there were more choices of ISP here.

• 2 weeks later...

When I signed up for "MaxNet@Home," which is what the lowest priced home ADSL package was called a couple years agoe when I signed up, there was a clear disclaimer on the brochure listing the various packages. For MaxNet@Home, it says: "Unable to use Bit Torrent & VoIP"

When I signed up for MaxNet@Home, it was B790/mo for 512/256, and I've since upgraded to B1000/mo for 2048/512 (a recent doubling from 1024/512 at the same price). Is that they type of MaxNet package you have?

Maybe they are finally getting around to enforcing that and/or applying it to other ADSL packages?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been having problems with MaxNet. I'm on 1024/512 and had no problems until recently. I get pretty decent speeds for HTTP stuff (Port 80)...usually around 850kbps (Tested with http://www.speedtest.net/) and running a speedtest utility http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/ that tests speed by running a VOIP simulation gives good results also.

Great, but the minute I fire up Azureus, speeds for almost everything drops to a trickle...HTTP is untouched, but the last VOIP speedtest is 1.30kbps (Yes kbps, not kBps or Mbps). I've been in contact with MaxNet every day for the last week with no result. They sent a tech to the house...he ran speedtest.net, announced everything ok and left. I just cannot get anyone to understand my problem let alone action it.

I've tried all manner of things to diagnose the problem and can rule out the computer, router and telephone line.

Is this part of some plan by MaxNet to give a 1kbps service to 1024kbps customers and save themselves the cost of bandwidth? It appears to be a primitive attempt at traffic shaping.

Can anyone shed any light on this. Anyone else having the same issues?

post-36791-1186938830_thumb.jpg

I have yet to experience any fast speed on either bit torrent or Azeurus, no matter what. I thinks its these programs that are the cause rather the your internet connection. Depends on the seeders & leehers. Further more it cripples my system to a crawl when downloading as well. Use newsgroups (ie/ bins, NZB's etc ).. full speed.

The least expensive residential consumer ADSL packages may limit VoIP and/or file-sharing usage (see my post #9 above). Perhaps the ISP is monitoring port usage and those apps (BitTorrent, Azeurus, etc) use ports that are restricted by your ISP?

I don't use VoIP or file-sharing, so I could be 100% off base, and if so, feel free to give me a quick (painless) kick!

• 2 weeks later...

To everyone having connection troubles with Maxnet at this time here is an answer i get from them yesterday:

Dear Sir

Thank you for using ADSL from TT&&T would be really thankful for your patronage.We apologize for not responding before the event. Nevertheless, Now we would like to inform you that

Some international link for CAT problem which effected to you internet access slow as on 15 Sep 2007 If we fixed a problem and can access to internet normally.

We would like to inform you urgently. We are very sorry for any and all inconveniences that your customers have incurred. Once again, thank you for your kind patience. If you have any

further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

For more information, please call 1103 (TT&T Network) 24 Hrs.

Thank you for contacting TT&T Call Center

Yours sincerely,

They talk about a 15 Sep 2007 problem but i am sure this all started already ending August.

Maybe the article below will make clear what excactly is going on at this time.

True gives up on CAT, opts for direct international links

The Bangkok Post reports that True Internet Gateway, the broadband subsidiary of Thai fixed line operator True Corp, has abandoned negotiations to connect with state-run incumbent operator CAT Telecom's international internet gateway (IIG), and instead plans to build direct links with overseas providers. CAT has rejected True’s request to link with its gateway, a move that True says could be in violation of the country’s telecoms regulations. True Internet Gateway expects to double its investment costs as a result of the situation, mainly for its own backup IIG facilities to cover outages. The company obtained a ‘type 2’ IIG licence in May 2006, and has so far invested THB300 million (USD9 million) in rolling out new backbone infrastructure. Although CAT remains the sole gateway for local internet connections, the regulator the NTC has temporarily allowed private operators to lease bandwidth from international providers other than CAT on a trial basis for three months, starting 6 February. True Internet is currently connecting with the gateways of Malaysian and Singaporean providers. CAT reportedly charges THB24,000 per megabit per month, compared with an average THB15,000 for a direct link with international providers. Total outages of IIG in Thailand added up to 230 hours last year, up from 138 hours in 2005 and 63 hours in 2004, far exceeding the international standard rate of eight hours per year

Let's hope things improve soon. :o