Let The Buyer Beware

TheExpat

I always hear complaints about the farang price and the Thai price. With just a little effort you can find out prices in advance and avoid places that have two tier pricing. What I don't hear complaints about is how much teachers get paid. A Thai teacher getting paid 10,000 baht per month and a farang teacher getting paid 30,000 baht per month. As an engineer years ago, I was making 100,000 baht a month and the Thai engineers I was working with were lucky to make 15,000.

you should have lodged a complaint. clearly a discrimination! :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine and his Thai wife run a small bungalow resort on a well known Thai island. Their clientele are mostly farang who don't like all the haggling and so he displays a clear price list outside the office. A couple of years ago at Songkran, the island was packed as usual, Thais sleeping on the beach, etc. Late afternoon, a Thai couple from Bangkok roll up and ask if he has any rooms free. "Yes", he says, "we have one left, it's 3,000 baht per night". The Thai guy points out that the price list clearly says 1,500 baht per night. "Ah", says my friend, "that's the farang price..."

Hahahahah I love it!! I'd do the same if I could!! With a smile!!!!!!!!!

I wish these Thai people that pratice these tiered systems would be able to come to my home land.

I would sit on the street and scream Thai Thai as they walked by me, Then I'd call my family out to have look at them. After they got a few metres away we could start to make some untrue in stupid remarks about what they do and there future.

Only wish I had a restraunt, well no I don't. But anyway, I would triple charge them, inform them after and Then start to tell them how they are rich and is nothing for them to pay some extra. Before have'n the first policeman I could find pull them over for there beautifull drive'n.

Sorry all needed to vent a bit.

Just sick of the racist people in this country.

There are alot of good people too.

• 2 weeks later...
I run a diving, snorkling and fishing business. The price I charge for customers I think is reasonable. I dont charge the same for Thai locals who I know cannot afford to pay the same as Farang customers. I dont see that as wrong? There is a big difference to overcharging Farang. I give the local Thais an opportunity to enjoy some of the things we enjoy doing so much. I dont think it is a specifically Thai thing. It happens the world over. I certainly don't expect to pay the same as somebody who earns a fraction of what I do. I know it winds certain people up who stay here. It isn't going to chang so don't let it upset you too much. You have a choice in where you spend your money and remember something is only worth what you are prepared to pay for it! :o

As already mentioned, he was given a Thai menu with prices of B80 and B60, then charged three times that amount. How do you see him as agreeing to be ripped off and therefore deserving it?

You really charge a farang English teacher who makes B30,000 a month and is a long term resident more than a rich Thai who makes B500,000 a month or more? Your business skills need work.

Since your so proud of your policies please provide the name of your business so we can make an informed decision not to use your services.

Having multiple pricing strategies for complicated or expensive goods and services is common. Multiple prices for a simple plate of food is dishonest. The fact you can’t see the difference is sad. There is such a thing as going too native.

Again you dont seem to be reading the posting. No, as said I dont charge a farang teacher on 30,000 baht the same as a tourist as I class him as a local. I even offer then the chance to take a course and pay a small amount each month. I get rich Thais down from BKK and they pay full price. I take local children from schols snorkling for free. It has nothing to do with race. So I dont think my business skills need working on. I dont do ths to make a fortune. I can live back in the UK and earn 12,000 to 15,000 baht a day if it was all about money. I agree some people wil rip the farang off at every oportunity. Others will not. I've had more Thais help me over the years than have ever ripped me off. If I do then I make apoint of not going back there but I dont let it upset me.

You stand a god chance of getting ripped off in the major tourist ares which is one of the reasons we moved here to Chumphon. As I said if you get ripped off dont get wound up just remember!!!!

My reading skills are fine. Put down the beer and re-read your original post. What you are saying now is not what you said before.

Two tier pricing in the extream. Was at Soi Yok National Park at the weekend, 20 Baht for the missus. 400 Baht for me!

If you have a Thai drivers liscence its twenty baht for you as well.....

Not always, it depends on how well the guard is informed, or if he thinks he can pocket the differnece. I stopped going to most national parks years ago due to double pricing and to a complete lack of care for many of the places. As one poster stated, why pay money to see a tiny waterfall with litter all around? The exception to my rule is when I am away somewhere with friends and a decision is made to go to a place like Bamboo Island; however, even with a license it can be very difficult to get the local price, which I am entitled to as a tax payer - I dare say I pay far more taxes than most of the Thai visitors.

Frankly, there is no excuse for a local business to print up two menus with different prices for different customers. What a joke. I can assure you, no Thai I know would consider it right and would object fiercely if it was done to them. If I find out someplace has double pricing, I am no longer a customer for that establishment, and I encourage everyone I know to stop going there as well.

"UnknownPoster put it best......" Anybody that was raise proper knows it's unethical, shameful and immoral" for the restaurants trying to rob their customers this way."

Exactly. Two-tiered pricing is WRONG. I live in area of Bangkok which has many 'villages' - all of which have security and in which most of the houses are in the 10-30 million baht bracket.

However these occupiers who are fabulously rich by the standards of most Thais living outside these gated communities - and myself included - will have to pay much less than myself if they chose to go to a National Park -even though their wealth and their yearly income is far far in excess of mine. How can any decent minded persons defend this obvious injustice?

I get really pxxxed off when I see TV members and visitors attempting to defend the indefensible!