Dermatophytic Infection

I have got a PM for a member about his dogs.

However, I think it may be useful if i put some information here.

Ringworm

ringworm-2.jpg

ringworm-lesion-dog.jpg

Malassezia infection (yeast)

dog.jpg

For dermatophytotic problem such as fungus and yeast,the dogs need to use some anti fungal preparation as Ketoconazole or Itraconazole.

How to treat the infected dog.

1) Anti-fungal shampoo as "Nizoral" 120 Bht / bottle

For a period of one month, shower the dog 2 times a week. You need to take the shampoo on the dog for 5-10 mins then rinse

The 2nd month to later ,shower the dog 1 time a week.

Then the sign is gone , you had better use this shampoo 1-2 time / month for control the fungal population .You can also use the common shampoo from time to time.***

2) Anti-fungal cream as "Nizoral"

Apply at the lesions 2 times aday. After the sign is gone .You had better use it more atlest 2 weeks

3) Anti-fungal tablet as Ketoconazole or Itraconazole

You had better check the blood chemistry and hematology of the dog as a routine before and during the treatment period.Because these kind of drugs are hepatotoxic.

(I recoccomed you to use the tablet as the last choice)

4) Vitamin and mineral

- Vit B complex

- Fish Oil (omega 3)

Both of your dogs' breeds incline to have dermatophytic problem already as other breeds as Cocker, Alsation ,Golden retriever and Labrador) so u need to do as (***)

Thanks bambina :o

I would like to add how I treat:

Ringworm

first I clip the hair away around the spot. Then I treat the spot/s three times a day by making it good wet with a mixture 50% vinegar (any kind) with 50% water.

Malassezia or yeast infection

Same as abovementioned, plus that I add for a small dog 1tbsp and big dog 2tsps of grated coconut or coconut milk through their food. Even only by adding the coconut to the food can do wonders to skin and coat.

I have treated several dogs in this way already with great success, plus that both treatments are much less expensive and more dog friendly.

Nienke