What Nationality Should Be On My Child's Birth Certificate

garro

They weren't sure what to put down on my child's birth certificate at the local Amphoe as they have never needed to deal with this before. For nationality they have Thai but my wife seems to think it should have Irish (my nationality) as well. This doesn't really make sense to me but I told my wife I would ask you lot.

What is on your child's Thai birth certificate?

Edited by garro

They weren't sure what to put down on my child's birth certificate at the local Amphoe as they have never needed to deal with this before. For nationality they have Thai but my wife seems to think it should have Irish (my nationality) as well. This doesn't really make sense to me but I told my wife I would ask you lot.

Thai (all my children).

All 3 of my kids born in Thailand to my Thai wife are Thai.

Don't worry to much about the Ireland/ UK /farang thing for a while. Just enjoy your newborn son and take care of that later ( a few years does not affect getting citizenship elsewhere later).

Should be Thai. Don't worry about that affecting chances of getting other nationalities - it won't.

But a lot of Thai officials will get very "foggy" if they see anything other than Thai on that certificate.

It may complicate getting a Thai ID card later on.

Thai as the others have said, don't confuse anyone.

I just got my Irish passport the other week, after 21 years :o I had never applied for it before, produced my mother's birth certificate etc and got it back 2 weeks later. So there's no rush to claim the Irish citizenship.

:o Thai, using the mother's nationality. To do otherwise affects I.D. card, getting a passport, and school entrance issues. I don't know about dual nationality for Ireland, but you should register the birth with the Amphor as Thai. Check with your embassy about dual nationality stuff, but for now the nationality should be Thai. You might want to register the birth with your embassy to establish you as the father and that the child has a claim to irish nationality. But your embassy will be able to tell you all that.