The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

I'm sure I read somewhere that Rotherham were the favourites for promotion from League 2 this season.

As for Exeter,it will be difficult to maintain the impetus of two successive promotions.Macclesfield did similar 10 or more years ago but came straight back down.I'm sure Exeter will be happy just to maintain their Division 1 status this season.

And talking of Macclesfield......with all the talk of Real Madrid snapping up the likes of Kaka,Ronaldo,Benzema,Arbeloa and Alonso some of you may have missed Maccs frenetic activity in the transfer market.

Last season they released 13 players and have been busy replacing them with stars from the likes of FC United,Halesowen,Hyde United,Weymouth and Wrexham.Maccs pre-season form has had many in the town suggesting Macc may soon be ready for a crack at the Premiership.....The Blue Square Premiership :D

But,tha never knows lad :D

Northampton away first match of the season....more than happy with a point.....last season after 4 games,Macc 0 points,0 goals,14 conceded....surely,must be better :)

Is this the year that young Rooney comes of age, Macclad ?

Yeah,I hope so Ken....even if he is only half as good as his elder brother !

Macc have signed a couple of guys from Forest also,Bencherif and Sinclair who is a very quick striker but doesnt score many goals,unfortunately.

Maccs 13th season in the league......lets hope its not unlucky.

And Tranmere....just missed out on the play offs last season,hoping for better this time around......interesting to see how John Barnes does.

I still think Ronnie Moore got a rum deal. So will watching keenly to see how Barnes makes out.

The old adage of proof, pudding, eating seems to come to mind.

..and anyways perhaps the rarefied air of the Championship wouldn't suit the boys from Birkenhead (far too clean. :) )

next season is going to be very very difficult for Exeter, think macca is about right, Consolidation is probably the best we can hope for. looking at all the divisions this is, arguably, the most competitive.

. I really rate our manager, and he could be the ace up our sleeve, however, this division is oh so diferent from anything that hes used to, the difference highlighted by our opening game at elland road no less. they recently sold their highly rated youngster, for what 7/ 8 mil. We a thought we did well to get 350 thou for the best of our youngsters. This league is a really different financial world. The further you get up the divisions the standard of footie doasnt necesarily improve pro rata, but the strikers do, and imo that will be a problem for us . we haven't got a 20 35 goal a season striker. but we surprised our self s last season. so we live in hope.

and Rotherham, Im sure will be there or there abouts. robins and co did exceptionally well last season, a few little tweaks and im sure you will do well again and hopefully go one step further..

Edited by rijit

Are there any pubs in Bangkok with live streaming? - I'd like to watch the Southampton - Millwall game today?

Early kick-off, the new season is afoot!

You might struggle for a Boozer Mate but i've found a Stream for my Millwall Pals here this morning..

I'll PM you.. :)

Are there any pubs in Bangkok with live streaming? - I'd like to watch the Southampton - Millwall game today?

Early kick-off, the new season is afoot!

You might struggle for a Boozer Mate but i've found a Stream for my Millwall Pals here this morning..

I'll PM you.. :)

Thanks mate, got the link.

Appreicate that, especially from a hammer.

Cheers mate :D

The Mighty Dale are a little frail today as they travel to Port Vale for the opener.

From skysports:-

Rochdale news

Manager Hill had just 13 fit senior outfield players for last weekend's 4-1 friendly win at Southport, and will again be without Rory McArdle and Ciaran Toner.

Defender McArdle is out for the first two months of the season with a shoulder injury, while midfielder Toner has been sidelined with a dead leg.

Their absence could force Hill to turn to a number of youngsters and Chris Brown, Callum Byrne and Josh Brizzell are all on standby.

McArdle's absence has opened the door for 19-year-old defender Craig Dawson to make his league debut while new signing Jason Kennedy could also make his bow.

post-20082-1249764845.gif

Paul Lambert told BBC Essex Radio that his side played some of "the best football" he has seen, having had a vast of experience in the game.

The Scott wanted Colchester to give a good opening-day account of themselves as a day-late 40th-Birthday present against City during the opening clash of the 2009-10 season.

The U`s have targeted a top-six finish and Lambert said: "It was the best I`ve seen in years, including when I played the game. I thought they were sensational."

He continued: "I didn`t think we were going to come here and just sit back because Norwich will still be one of the favourites, no doubt about it. I thought they [the team] were brilliant."

Lambert had full-time praise for returning loanee, Kevin Lisbie and his strike-partner Clive Platt, who both grabbed a double-strike and David Perkins, in particular, also finding the net as a second-half substitute. His assist was provided by Kem Izzet, celebrating his 300th League match for the U`s in midfield.

"Lisbie was a massive, massive signing for us. If Kevin was fully-fit, he`d have had a hat-trick," added Lambert.

He also reserved praise for the nigh-on 2,000 U`s fans who made the fairly short trip to Carrow Road. The game`s attendance was one of the biggest-ever since City`s stadium became an all-seater, in 1992.

"I`m sure the crowd, who were phenomenal again, will be there on Tuesday night [for the League Cup clash with Layton Orient] in their droves after that. Our fans are terrific and outsung 23,000 people, which is great."

Leeds, and Beckford in particular, took us apart for the 30 mins. We were blessed to be only one nil down. Then our players got the pace of the game and were the better team for the last 10 15 mins. And in the second half, we were more than leeds equals. Clawed it back to 1-1

Then corr, the <deleted> ijjiot, got sent off. we were playing corr up front by himself. Tisdale shocked us all by by withdrawing our two ageing stalwarts Marcus Stewart and rob Edwards and putting two up front. and may be, just maybe, we could have held on at 1 all. but Beckford is a class act at this level. nicked one with three mins to go. Disappointed but not despondent. If they are the best this divisions got we will be ok

Edited by rijit

"John Barnes' managerial career at Tranmere got off to a disappointing start as they were beaten 2-0 by new-look Yeovil."

&

"Rovers' intricate passing got them nowhere"

We used to boot the ball up the pitch and try and get a goal, now it looks like we are going to try and make beautiful passes all the way ap the pitch, then still try and get a goal.. :)

ah well the seasons still young.

Good result for Macc,0-0 at Northampton one of the promotion favourites but next up is Svens Notts County so it will be interesting to see how it pans out after their result yesterday.

Hard to believe that scoreline....Norwich City 1 Colchester United 7....think the Norwich manager is under a fair bit of pressure now.

And its only Matchday 1...... :)

Good result for Macc,0-0 at Northampton one of the promotion favourites but next up is Svens Notts County so it will be interesting to see how it pans out after their result yesterday.

Hard to believe that scoreline....Norwich City 1 Colchester United 7....think the Norwich manager is under a fair bit of pressure now.

Its a bit worrying that as Mark Robbins has been tipped two or 3 times in the last year for the Norwich job. I hope he can pull it round so we can keep Robbins, or failing that get Ronnie Moore back.

Edited by thaimiller

Its a bit worrying that as Mark Robbins has been tipped two or 3 times in the last year for the Norwich job. I hope he can pull it round so we can keep Robbins, or failing that get Ronnie Moore back.

Hang on T.M. We might need Ronnie Moore back at Tranmere............ :D

a good point for rochdale bbc reckoned unlucky it wasnt 3, and macca a steady start. and rotherham of to a winning start. great opening day

TOTALLY TOTALLY LOVE IT

to give you an idea of what it was like yesterday A quote from a leeds fan on exeters forum today.

Hi guys and girls. Dont normally post on others clubs forums but felt compelled to after yesterday. Gotta say your support was superb. Just short of 3k turned up, and you certainly dispelled the myth about the South West not being a hot bed of football. You're fans were amongst the most passionate I've seen at ER for years. I was in the South Stand right next to you lot and believe me you were LOUD!!

After the first 30 mins I thought we were gonna win by 5 but your team found their feet and from then on it was even and could have gone either way. You'll have no problems in this league and I for one will be watching your results with interest. Good luck for the season and hopefully I'll be visiting the real St James's Park in January.

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY FOOTBALL IS, MOSTLY A WINTER SPORT!! JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!

a good point for rochdale bbc reckoned unlucky it wasnt 3, and macca a steady start. and rotherham of to a winning start. great opening day

TOTALLY TOTALLY LOVE IT

to give you an idea of what it was like yesterday A quote from a leeds fan on exeters forum today.

Hi guys and girls. Dont normally post on others clubs forums but felt compelled to after yesterday. Gotta say your support was superb. Just short of 3k turned up, and you certainly dispelled the myth about the South West not being a hot bed of football. You're fans were amongst the most passionate I've seen at ER for years. I was in the South Stand right next to you lot and believe me you were LOUD!!

After the first 30 mins I thought we were gonna win by 5 but your team found their feet and from then on it was even and could have gone either way. You'll have no problems in this league and I for one will be watching your results with interest. Good luck for the season and hopefully I'll be visiting the real St James's Park in January.

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY FOOTBALL IS, MOSTLY A WINTER SPORT!! JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!

Sorry for mmy ignorance riijt but who is "we/us " these days ??

Rotherham have agreed a fee with Rochdale for striker Adam Le Fondre.

As revealed by skysports.com earlier this week Rotherham were lining up a move for Le Fondre as they look to bolster their attacking options.

Rotherham are thought to have had their initial bid rejected, but they have now come back with an improved offer which has reluctantly been accepted by Rochdale.

Le Fondre, who was Rochdale's top scorer last term, has been given permission to hold talks and undergo a medical at Rotherham.

The Millers have moved for Le Fondre as they seek to fill the void left by Reuben Reid's departure to West Brom.

Rotherham boss Mark Robins believes Le Fondre will prove to be a good addition to the squad.

"We have agreed an undisclosed fee with Rochdale for Adam Le Fondre so we will be looking to tie that deal up over the weekend," Robins told the club's official website.

"When he became available it was too good an opportunity to turn down. If you look at his goal record it is one in two and that includes appearances from the bench when he was younger. He is 22 so there is still a lot of improvement in him and I am looking forward to getting the deal sorted out.

"On paper it is another 20 goals added to the team. If everything goes through we are getting a very good player who can score goals."

Le Fondre's agent Jesse Learoyd-Hill has confirmed the player is set to discuss terms and undergo a medical in the next 24 hours.

"The two clubs have agreed a fee and we have been given permission to hold talks with Rotherham," Learoyd-Hill told skysports.com.

"We have yet to discuss personal terms, but we will be doing that in the next 24 hours.