Eea Family Permit (free Uk Visa)

Last year, my wife and I arrived into Heathrow's terminal 4 and she was subjected to a bit of a grilling about why she has a tourist visa and not an EEA Family Permit. I posted quite a long thread about this on Thaivisa when we got back to LoS.

Anyway, we are thinking of returning for a few weeks next year (2008), and we want to apply for an EEA Family Permit (issued free) instead of a £80 tourist visa.

It is really worth it to try and get this permit? I mean, I'm sure there is a mountain of paperwork to submit for a permit compared to a tourist visa, which itself is no easy feat!!

* Has anyone been down this road with the UK embassy here?

* Is it worth the hassle to apply for an EEA Permit instead of a tourist visa?

Any input would be gratefully appreciated. Thanx.

Big A

for the family permit there is usually no interview and decision is made within 4 days - you can re-apply with more documents, if needed.

if the last time your wife did not overstay there should be no problem

Edited by londonthai

for the family permit there is usually no interview and decision is made within 4 days - you can re-apply with more documents, if needed.

if the last time your wife did not overstay there should be no problem

She's been there twice with no overstay or any criminal convictions (apart from getting caught with a van load of semtex, 40 Kalashnikovs, balaclavas and berets in Belfast!!!) :o

In theory you need only demonstrate that you are Irish, that you are married and that you either have sufficient resources to cater for yourselves whilst in the U.K., or that you will be taking employment there.

Scouse.

In theory yes.

best practice we have seen applications for an EEA family permit with full data of the past year with financial support and phonecalls and still invites for interview at the BE in Bangkok as it seems they have no clue on how to deal with those.

But in theory it should be easy.

Other points:

UK VAc will see an EEA Family permit application as a settlement application as it can lead to settlement therefor TB certificate is needed (misunderstanding at the UK Visas departments?)

I'd actually agree that a TB certificate is required as, under EEA law, admission can be refused on health grounds.

In relation to the other points, I know how I present my clients' EEA appications and they have, 100%, been successful. :o

Scouse.

as they should be :D

Scouser

I just had a look at the UK Visa website. Yes, a TB cert is needed, at a cost of B2600, for anyone wishing to visit the UK longer than 6 months .

As a tourist visa is B4536, I am inclined to apply for it as it is only a little bit more expensive and there isn't as much running around to get certs and armfuls of paper as an EEA Permit.

However, do you think it may be possible to get a EEA Permit valid for LESS THAN 6 MONTHS and therefore not needeing a TB cert? (I wouldn't have thought so myself!)

Basically, I'm just being a cheap Charlie and not trying to get the missus into the UK for a long period!!

As the holder of a family permit is entitled to seek a residence card for the UK, there is a presumption that the holder will be staying longer than six months, so eventhough your wife will only be visiting, I don't see a way around the TB test requirement.

Having said that, it is likely that the issue has never been raised.

Scouse.

As the holder of a family permit is entitled to seek a residence card for the UK, there is a presumption that the holder will be staying longer than six months, so eventhough your wife will only be visiting, I don't see a way around the TB test requirement.

Having said that, it is likely that the issue has never been raised.

Scouse.

I know one case where an eea family permit was requested for 2 months and at UK Vac they told it was either EEA for settlement or you had to apply for visitor visa

(by the way that was what I was refering to earlier when I was talking about the misunderstanding at UK Visas)

Again this was the conclusion of UK Vac so not sure what the stand of the embassy would be.

i did this for Ireland.

if they believe you are really married it takes only 3 days to get D visa.

it is free but you must go to the gurada in ireland to get it stamped.

england will have slightly different rules but they offer a 1 year visa.

should be well worth the troubles.

proof you are really married avoids the interview.

pm me if you need anythign

Last year, my wife and I arrived into Heathrow's terminal 4 and she was subjected to a bit of a grilling about why she has a tourist visa and not an EEA Family Permit. I posted quite a long thread about this on Thaivisa when we got back to LoS.

Anyway, we are thinking of returning for a few weeks next year (2008), and we want to apply for an EEA Family Permit (issued free) instead of a £80 tourist visa.

It is really worth it to try and get this permit? I mean, I'm sure there is a mountain of paperwork to submit for a permit compared to a tourist visa, which itself is no easy feat!!

* Has anyone been down this road with the UK embassy here?

* Is it worth the hassle to apply for an EEA Permit instead of a tourist visa?

Any input would be gratefully appreciated. Thanx.

Big A

hi, a friend brought his phillipino wife and her kids into the uk on a family permit.

He was told that one condition was proof of residency in the uk.

As the whole idea of the permit was to allow a persons family to join them after working and residing in a member state for some time.

This would need checking as it is only third party info!

Good luck.

hi, a friend brought his phillipino wife and her kids into the uk on a family permit.

He was told that one condition was proof of residency in the uk.

As the whole idea of the permit was to allow a persons family to join them after working and residing in a member state for some time.

This would need checking as it is only third party info!

Good luck.

To be precise he has to proof he is exercising his treaty rights in the UK. However going to look for a job is already exercising these. Also if the stay is intended to be less then 3 months you do not need to exercise them.