Bird Flu In Thailand Reaches Bangkok

george

Bird Flu in Thailand Reaches Bangkok, Affects 15 Provinces

BANGKOK: -- Thailand today confirmed that bird- flu virus infections reached two more provinces including the capital, Bangkok, bringing to 15 the number of provinces where the disease has reappeared this month, the government said.

Thailand, Asia's biggest poultry exporter last year, also confirmed bird flu in Nong Khai province, located 615 kilometers (382 miles) northeast of Bangkok, the Livestock Department said on its Web site. Possible bird flu virus infections were found in 25 other provinces where the department is waiting for laboratory results from dead chickens. The country has 76 provinces.

The reappearance of bird-flu virus infection is one of reasons that the Bank of Thailand yesterday decided to leave its key interest rate unchanged at record low of 1.25 percent. The resurgence of bird flu, rising oil prices and killings in the country's three southern Muslim-majority provinces have hurt the confidence of consumers and investors, the central bank said.

Southeast Asia's second-biggest economy posted slower growth in the first quarter from the previous three months after a bird- flu outbreak prompted the government to kill at least 40 million chickens and other fowls between January and April.

Japan and the European Union, Thailand's two biggest chicken buyers, as well as other countries, have banned imports of frozen chicken meat from Thailand since January.

On July 7 the Thai government confirmed the reappearance of the bird-flu virus at a chicken farm in Ayutthaya province, 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of Bangkok, two months after the government had declared the country free of bird flu.

--Bloomberg 2004-07-22

I've yet to hear about a human being infected by bird flu.

The Thai's I know couldn't give a flying cluck about bird flu and are frankly bored of hearing about it.

I find it a little bit unnerving as I wouldn't want to fall ill so far from an NHS hospital, still, I'm not giving up eggs just yet.

As for KFC, I wouldn't eat that mass produced, greasy offal if you paid me, bird flu or not, and when I inform as many Thai's as I can, especially kids, of the consequences of eating the stuff.

Possible bird flu virus infections were found in 25 other provinces where the department is waiting for laboratory results from dead chickens. The country has 76 provinces.

15 provinces + 25 provinces = 40 provinces out of 76 provinces

half the country?

I hope the media embarasses mr T enough to ....... nah forgive me I was just daydreaming

:o

I've yet to hear about a human being infected by bird flu.

The Thai's I know couldn't give a flying cluck about bird flu and are frankly bored of hearing about it.

I find it a little bit unnerving as I wouldn't want to fall ill so far from an NHS hospital, still, I'm not giving up eggs just yet.

As for KFC, I wouldn't eat that mass produced, greasy offal if you paid me, bird flu or not, and when I inform as many Thai's as I can, especially kids, of the consequences of eating the stuff.

Where've you been the last 6 months Scampi?

Last time bird flu came a visitin' 8 Thais died (officially) and loads were hospitalised around the country. 19 snuffed it in Vietnam and a few more in China. Health officials from WHO & FAO say it's a very crafty little bugger of a virus this one, mutating and evading "capture" before it jumps across the animal -human interface. Don't be surprised if this thing comes back bigger than SARS in the next 6 months.

That Thais don't give a flying cluck about it this time round, is all the more worrying than the manic, panic stations in giving up eating all poultry and eggs last time, that caused Tox to go on all stations eating your beloved KFC.