Patriotism, Moraliy, Ethics, Et Al

chevykanteve

There is no debate taking place in the Thai universities. Full stop

worse as a google of some

unmentionable words

will reveal ..................

I think it was more teacher on teacher in this case, but still shows an inherant problem.

It also shows that the system is working very well and the elites can sleep soundly.

Taking on board your post I will say I agree and retract what I said about it being worse in the UK. I really did mean "knowledgeable" and not active or involved. I think when I wrote that I was thinking exclusively about the Thais I know back home in the UK as I do not come into contact much with students here in Bangkok. Those that I have met pretty much fit your model.

Once or twice though you read or hear about a group of them lobbying in some way for something or other, which is refreshing/optimistic. I do think we should give many of them more credit though. There is one chap in my apartment block who studies law at Ram uni, he has strong opinions on politics and for the most part is rational. He just seems only to be able to discuss them with me as a farang and other farangs. Although clearly among his close friends he has done the same. I wouldnt say he was too special? A minority definitely.

That Uni can be a bit of a beacon of light, but the authorities have clamped down on them and will continue to do so. I don't see them getting any support from elsewhere.

Even if things do show a suggestion of a start (which they won't), the elites just throw in their trump card. It works every time, and everyone is happy again.

I do think many people are aware of "something rotten" but do not really know how to bring change, and are sufficiently cowed by "knowing their place" in the hierarchy as well as other rather more concrete sanctions.

In Chiang Mai, it's reported people were paid B 100 to attend the "Power for Democracy” rally held by Surayud.

They were turned away if not wearing a yellow shirt :o .

I don't know about any of you, but to me, Uni was a revelation. I enjoyed it thoroughly; and didn't emerge until nearly a decade later with all the decorations one would expect. I enjoyed being challenged in my thought process, having my entire world turned inside out. But then again, I didn't go to Uni in Thailand.

I suspect it is an entirely different and less enthusiastic experience in Thailand.

I do think many people are aware of "something rotten" but do not really know how to bring change, and are sufficiently cowed by "knowing their place" in the hierarchy as well as other rather more concrete sanctions.

In Chiang Mai, it's reported people were paid B 100 to attend the "Power for Democracy" rally held by Surayud.

They were turned away if not wearing a yellow shirt :o .

Good post. Sums Thailand up for me.

I don't know about any of you, but to me, Uni was a revelation. I enjoyed it thoroughly; and didn't emerge until nearly a decade later with all the decorations one would expect. I enjoyed being challenged in my thought process, having my entire world turned inside out. But then again, I didn't go to Uni in Thailand.

I suspect it is an entirely different and less enthusiastic experience in Thailand.

I agree with you, as I thought that Uni was the place to use ones brain too. But, not here.

Too many examples to add. It's disheartening.

I agree with you, as I thought that Uni was the place to use ones brain too. But, not here.

Too many examples to add. It's disheartening.

I go to a Thai UNI and yes you have to learn to use your brain, but in a very different way to a western uni...

I have a total solution for all of Thailand's problems in three words, education, education, education.

Guess it's not on Gov's top 10 list since they are driving the freethinking teachers (farangs) out of their country. I'll check about that after ten years and we will see how has it progressed, or (de)..

About patriotism, I'm sure most students in private unis in Bangkok don't even know the meaning. (Their daddys take them around military service and such useless crap).

Edited by sonnyJ

I go to a Thai UNI and yes you have to learn to use your brain, but in a very different way to a western uni...

I have a total solution for all of Thailand's problems in three words, education, education, education.

please tell me your a local . please ....................

The only word that may suggest so is "about".

But it is a good post.

If you're a student sonnyJ then can I guess at your uni? You say that you must use your brain so that dismisses almost all of the government ones. You seem too concerned for a private uni student. Not drinking on a Saturday night, so can't be my one (just by the grand palace). I'd choose Chula or Mahidol.

But it is a good post.

If you're a student sonnyJ then can I guess at your uni? You say that you must use your brain so that dismisses almost all of the government ones. You seem too concerned for a private uni student. Not drinking on a Saturday night, so can't be my one (just by the grand palace). I'd choose Chula or Mahidol.

Good guesses! Maybe an MBA student at AIT or something too.

But it is a good post.

An MBA student sounds quite likely too.

If you spend some time at the Unis and speak to the students you won't find many free thinkers here.

[\quote]

I'm an MA in Thai Studies student at Chula and I have definitely found some free-thinkers - both students and lecturers. I'm actually surprised at what topics are being discussed. But maybe that's because almost all my course colleagues are - like me - not Thai.

Simon

But it is a good post.

Hehe, you're all WRONG.

Referring to the brain part means how to assimilate to the system and use it. Find the loop holes and authorities and go around them.... Well, we have a few great professors..

How to create an effective schooling system when there are not many good teachers available?

Worst part is you can drink every night and still get good grades.

But it is a good post.

Hehe, you're all WRONG.

Referring to the brain part means how to assimilate to the system and use it. Find the loop holes and authorities and go around them.... Well, we have a few great professors..

How to create an effective schooling system when there are not many good teachers available?

Worst part is you can drink every night and still get good grades.

Well you must be a rich spoiled ABAC brat then. And, I'm only impressed if you take your scammer talents and use them in the world to create value.

Yes, that was my experience as well, and I loved it! I agree with your sentiment in the post before this one, about going out into the world and creating value.

Edited by kat

Yes, that was my experience as well, and I loved it! I agree with your sentiment in the post before this one, about going out into the world and creating value.

What else is there? We are all born with our intrinsic talents. We should leave this world having deposited our contribution, which should be more than some biological fluid.

my observation is that many young thais know exactly what is going on, thats why the ruling class is freaking and trying to repress clothing and the internet, I think things will be fine here when this next generation comes thru, in bangkok anyway

You have hit the nail on the head. I know what you mean.

my observation is that many young thais know exactly what is going on, thats why the ruling class is freaking and trying to repress clothing and the internet, I think things will be fine here when this next generation comes thru, in bangkok anyway

You have hit the nail on the head. I know what you mean.

I hope that you are right. But, I fear it is only a distant dream. :o