Watch Out. Its Flooding Up-country!

soundman

I was working in Kon Kaen last night, doing the sound for the travelling Leo Beer promotion (100B entry - receive four cans of Leo Beer :D - so much for the advertising clamp down on alcohol being effective :o ) with Boo Pong Sit playing. Not having been out in KK for nearly a couple of years I decided to go and get dinner in the entertainment section of town near Kosa / Novatel hotels.

And to say the least I was surprised. I have never seen so many farang outside tourist areas in my whole time in Thailand.

Parked the car, & was immediately surprised to see a couple of Pattaya style "beer bars" albeit of a much more consertive & appealing nature. The first one (Steakhouse or something) appeared to have a good menu. Stopped for a meal there & have to say the quality was very good.

Whilst eating and having a beer, I counted the farangs walking past. In the space of half an hour nearly seventy walked past the front of the bar, mainly older (retiree) types, and some thirty to forty types. In my previous "night on the town" nearly two years ago in KK, I reckon I saw maybe about ten farangs for the whole evening.

Coupled with recent postings about farang numbers "getting out of control" in rural Thailand, of which I scoffed at, I am now having to rethink my position.

What are other peoples opinions of the "surge of farang" in rural Thailand. Good, bad or a myth?

Cheers & thanx.

Soundman.

Perhaps a lot of farang are taking the rural NE girls they found in Pattaya or Bangkok back to their home villages.

That's always the way it has been for many.

Does that mean is has been increasing by factors of ten or even fifty in recent years?

Soundman, that's sort of an interesting trend. Does this mean it's getting too expensive in Patters/Bangers, et al for some of these foreigners and that's why they are showing up in places like KK, or does it mean they are looking for a quieter life?

Phuket is definitely getting more expensive, and from the debate on Samui with the building of new malls etc., I would expect it to follow.

Khon Kaen is quite a busy city, good hotels, Sofitel and Kosa, plus many good budget places.

Sofitel is not really a budget hotel, I paid 2300 Baht there 4 years ago, but it's very nice.

My little sis is at the North Eastern School of Technology in Khon Kaen and I think KK is OK ! :o

Yes, I've seen many Farangs walking around Big C and Lotus, also Home Pro etc, go into MK Suki of a weekend and you will see many more.

I think many Farangs move out of Bkk and Pattaya eventually when they become bored with the scene there and sick to death of traffic problems and crime. KK is as good as anywhere for good value housing, decent, if not good shopping, and a reasonably stress free lifestyle.

Soundman, that's sort of an interesting trend. Does this mean it's getting too expensive in Patters/Bangers, et al for some of these foreigners and that's why they are showing up in places like KK, or does it mean they are looking for a quieter life?

Phuket is definitely getting more expensive, and from the debate on Samui with the building of new malls etc., I would expect it to follow.

Lat night in KK was definately more expensive than where I live. :o

I think it was cheaper than BKK & Patters but only marginally.

Dinner last night. 1 plate bangers & mash, 2 plates spag carbonara, 2 big bottles Leo beer, 1 pepsi. 675B. Good quality level.

I think the older (retiree) age are looking for a slightly quieter & less hectic life. However, on many observations of KK (and numerous other large regional centres like Nakon Sawan & Korat etc.) these towns can be plenty chaotic.

The younger guys, after marriage, might be setting up house / base of operations but generally not looking to live in KK full time. That's only a guess based on one farang I know who has done this in KK and works elsewhere as well as maintaining an apartment in Patters.

Cheers.

Khon Kaen and Udon Thani definitely have their share of westerners. Both are large regional centres with busy airports. Udon Thani Airport has direct flights from Singapore with Tiger Airways that I know of. My time in Issan is now over - but I used to like getting away from the two centres - back to the village. Even that is getting more westernised these days - it used to be a 30km motorbike ride to the nearest ATM - now there's 2 in the village.

Finding real village life in Issan is getting harder and harder - farangs are everywhere!

Peter

Speaking as one who abjured the " real village life in Isaan " having seen it for what it was, unrelenting unhygienic tedium amidst irksome fauna peopled by ill educated simpletons driven to alcoholism and indebtedness, I always wonder about those farang who seemingly find it a delight.

Possibly they imagine themselves as some sort of Conradian hero intrepidly following a path of self discovery, a journey which they are clearly reluctant to take in company of others of the same ilk lest the illuminating experience be somehow devalued?

These provincial towns, such as they are, offer temporary relief but their meagre attractions soon wane for the more discriminating and eventually most folk come to their senses and return to the comfort of their own kith or kin wherever that may be. To my eye those who remain constitute a strange refugee society of the dysfunctional welded together by alcohol.

" Up country " is indeed another country.

To my eye those who remain constitute a strange refugee society of the dysfunctional welded together by alcohol.

Jeez, what a load of crap, not worth replying to.

Please stay in the only town this country has.

Speaking as one who abjured the " real village life in Isaan " having seen it for what it was, unrelenting unhygienic tedium amidst irksome fauna peopled by ill educated simpletons driven to alcoholism and indebtedness, I always wonder about those farang who seemingly find it a delight.

Possibly they imagine themselves as some sort of Conradian hero intrepidly following a path of self discovery, a journey which they are clearly reluctant to take in company of others of the same ilk lest the illuminating experience be somehow devalued?

These provincial towns, such as they are, offer temporary relief but their meagre attractions soon wane for the more discriminating and eventually most folk come to their senses and return to the comfort of their own kith or kin wherever that may be. To my eye those who remain constitute a strange refugee society of the dysfunctional welded together by alcohol.

While I agree that up-country is like being in another country I find your post all in all an interesting although maybe tad cynical view point.

From my perspective, with reference to bold above, I thought all the retired Indiana Jones types trying to take up the "intrepid settler" scene has more or less vanished from Thailand.

Does this mean you are for ar against numerous farang descending on the provincial centres?

Cheers.

Cynical, but very true. A great post. "unrelenting unhygienic tedium amidst irksome fauna" :o

Anyhow KK is hardly Nong Bua Lamphu, so not exactly roughing it and I would assume that many of these foreigners are bringing prosperity with them.

Edited by Robski

Many interesting points here. This is good reading please continue.

From BKK nothing to report here.

One point I'm sure of, farangs bring lots of $$$ everywhere, so it must be good to get it spread around. Well there're two sides for everything, but everyone wants to get more of that modern stuff..

You can always retire to Borneo if you wish.

Finding real village life in Issan is getting harder and harder - farangs are everywhere!

Better to state it this way: real village life 2007 is different from real village life 1977. Same applies for most American villages I guess: a Vietnamese family moved in and opened a grocery store, and wealthy city people built posh houses overlooking the lake. Sure there is at least a little bit of a farang presence almost all over the isaan, but outsiders moving is and always has been a fact of life everywhere.

I couldn't bear the country living here, it is just too much for me. BKK gives me everything I need and the convenience, but with the rising prices here, if I was a retiree or someone on a budget I might have to consider moving out of the city as many do in our home countries too, eg. I wouldn't want to pay the prices in London these days. Nothing is perfect though, I can see the attractive points of living in the quieter countryside but they just aren't enough to make me want to stay there for more than a long weekend once a year.

Khon Kaen is hardly "Rural" ..
.... Leo Beer promotion (100B entry - receive four cans of Leo Beer

And you wonder why there were so many farang about.... :o

totster :D

Good point :D

However there were hardly any farang at the concert..... That little excerpt was more meant as a jab at the latest round of alchohol advertisement banning & the knock on effects of the alchohol companies just using their advertising budgets to give away billions of baht of beer to attract new drinkers. :D

Very good for my business.... :D

Soundman.

not worth replying to.

I wonder why you did then?

I find your post all in all an interesting although maybe tad cynical view point.

This is the Gent, Soundman, they are all like this, but Cynical, Never, Never, Never :o

unrelenting unhygienic tedium amidst irksome fauna peopled by ill educated simpletons driven to alcoholism and indebtedness,

Rather harsh, but descriptive none the less, even if does broad brush with a bristle as wide as the M25

Possibly they imagine themselves as some sort of Conradian hero intrepidly following a path of self discovery,

Conrad, now there is someone who would drive you to drink and distraction, perhaps you have it it on the head there, they must all be reading Conrad, bring the beer and the despair :D

Khon Kaen is hardly "Rural" ..
.... Leo Beer promotion (100B entry - receive four cans of Leo Beer

And you wonder why there were so many farang about.... :o

totster :D

Good point :D

However there were hardly any farang at the concert..... That little excerpt was more meant as a jab at the latest round of alchohol advertisement banning & the knock on effects of the alchohol companies just using their advertising budgets to give away billions of baht of beer to attract new drinkers. :D

Very good for my business.... :D

Soundman.

At least it was same price for everyone.

having seen it for what it was, unrelenting unhygienic tedium amidst irksome fauna peopled by ill educated simpletons driven to alcoholism and indebtedness, I always wonder about those farang who seemingly find it a delight.
awesome line!! but true only to a point. I know a ton of peoples and families that fit this common Thai stereotype, but i also know a lot of amazingly rich, powerful, smart and hardworking people in Khon Kaen as well. Anyways dont give your money to the first group and then you will be laughing. If some old people feel more comfortable money-fornicating in a place like KK rather then else where then might as well go hard, also soundman, the price you paid at a farang bar/restaurant hardly reflects on the cost of living in "real" Khon Kaen. I love going up to my place there whenever i start to get sick of bangkok.. can eat basically for free, get drunk and go to some great clubs for a very low price, and get lots of sun and bike around the country side. very cool. Thats the beauty of it because no matter how much old rich people come up there, its not possible to ruin every area by throwing there money around because the thais will always outnumber them, especially in the villages. i love it. i just wish there was somewhere that sold hockey sticks.. god d.amn it Edited by cooL_guY_corY

No other Farangs living where I do. Just a couple who visit with their families once or twice a year. So no problem here.

Agree that many of the locals are illiterate and not very worldly. And most are in debt and drink far too much but that is their lot in life not mine.

I wouldn't assume these are mostly long term people either. The more shopping malls and big hotels get built in the main tourist areas, the further upcountry tourists are going to go to get a more "real Thailand" experience.

I think that the number of western expats moving to Thailand will increase substantially in the future due to the demographics of the western nations - i.e. the baby boom following WWII, and this is already happening. Most of these people can choose where they live because they do not rely on a job for income.

Personally, I do not understand why anyone would choose to live in Bangkok unless they have to for job or family reasons, and to a lesser extent Pattaya. There are many cities in the region, and world, that I would prefer.

I choose to live upcountry in Thailand for family reasons and enjoy farming in the Issan countryside. I haven't found too many alcoholic simpletons and mix with hardworking farmers and a few more educated civil servants plus a handful of westerners. I've learned to live without the endless shopping malls and my health has improved now that I am away from the traffic fumes and other pollution. The very low cost of living is an additional bonus.

My Thai wife and I have just moved to KK from China after living in other parts of Thailand. Why here? We have an airport, adequate shopping options,clean air, a major university where I can work, lower prices than the city, less traffic while crossing the street, a transportation system, friendly people and a Rotary Club.....I have lived all over the world and choose to live here......so don't knock it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May I say how wholeheartedly I agree with you! I am in a village that fits your description to the tee! Luckily, I am almost far enough away to have a little bit of privacy.

What do these people get off on, counting farang walking past for god's sake. Must make for a really interesting evening out with the missus. "Darling, would you like some more rice?"... "sixty one, sixty two, sixty three," "Would you like another beer?" "sixty six, sixty seven"  "Darling I'm really horny, let's go home and shag"  "Sixty nine"  "OK...fine by me"  "Seventy...seventy one"

Hey Soundman what was Pong Sit like live? I love his music.

Very good live. Great voice for a Thai singer. Bass guitarist is superb as well. Crowd really gets into his act, in fact they sing along harder to most of his songs than most of the current rock / pop acts. His rider (and stage manager) is quite demanding though, almost like he is trying to copy Add Carabou's spec. ..... :o