Please Explain To A Non-golfer Why You Love Golf

sbk

Its always interested me, what do people see in golf? Why did you start playing and what do you love about it? It seems like a very frustrating game to me, but I like the idea of it not being a team sport (I am not into team sports). So, I'd love to hear from the golfing nuts what made you crazy about golf :o

i guess they like it because of the hats and shorts to get to wear where only on a gold course you can wear, also to and back from the golf course :o joking that beats me why they like it i never tried it but it seems enjoyable.

Apart from the camaraderie amongst your friends, it is a game that will both frustrate and satisfy you at the same time.

Everywhere in the world I've been ( there is still lots I haven't )I played golf and you will see the most wonderful countryside and coastal areas. Iceland , Ireland and Scotland all top examples...less than 2 hours from the City of London.

Sorry SBK, thats as profound as I can be.

Don't anyone dare say it is a good walk spoiled.

I think the expression is 'hooked'.

There are various reasons why golfers become hooked.

For me, it is a combination of loving the outdoors, to be able to play with other like minded people, and I guess the most important reason, the challenge of it, the will to improve and when it doesn't go very well (which is usually the case) to know tomorrow it'll surely be a better day.

I think the expression is 'hooked'.

There are various reasons why golfers become hooked.

For me, it is a combination of loving the outdoors, to be able to play with other like minded people, and I guess the most important reason, the challenge of it, the will to improve and when it doesn't go very well (which is usually the case) to know tomorrow it'll surely be a better day.

I play so I can wear sexy golf shoes.

"Golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle."

For me this is a hard question to answer to a non golfer as most likely you have never his a three wood from 213 yards out into a slight breeze and landed the ball on the green 22 feet from the hole. For me its a 1 time in 6 shot, but when that one time happens it makes everything in the world perfect for a while.

And now as I am going on 47 I don't play baseball or football anymore but golf is still there and amazingly enough as I am getting older I am still getting better.

Its all about the good shots you hit, I can hit 100 crappy shots but when you strike true and the ball flies high, and straight it just feels so good. Then I think to myself, now if I can just do that every time and that alone keeps me coming back for more.

Oh and walking around outside with close friends in beautiful scenery in also pretty difficult to beat.

I used to play gold years ago when i was a kid up until i was late teens. I didnt play all the etime but when work etc allowed. Since leaving Bangkok and moving back to Sydney. I now have more time and the easy access to courses and driving ranges. I have now invested in a new set of clubs(old ones in Scotland and too expensive to send over). Spring is coming. I havn;t plated for years but have been out twice in the last month before i bought my clubs. Now i have clubs and the weather is picking up. I'm looking forward to getting out in the sun and having a good laugh and games with mates.

• 2 weeks later...

In this game, you decide the targets; you decide what a good shot is; you decide whether to push the envelope and go for the 1 in 100 shot; you decide what pace you want to play at: you decide if you want to have a friendly chat with your opponent on the way round etc. Nobody pressures you into doing anything, and every time you play the course will be different for a variety of reasons, and you can play a variety of courses. One good shot in 50 will keep you coming back for more, wondering why you can't replicate it every time. You'll use every muscle in your body, but mostly your brain. And when you start to get good, you'll live this game.

NBA - I love this game.

PGA - I live this game.

I don´t think I would ever stoop to playing golf.................. :D To me, it´s only real sport if you sweat gallons for at least an hour and thoroughly knacker yourself in doing so (e.g. a hard game of squash or fast cycling)........... the feeling of satisfaction that follows is wonderful..............anything else is just for whimps....... :D (but do feel free to disagree..... :o )

I don´t think I would ever stoop to playing golf.................. :D To me, it´s only real sport if you sweat gallons for at least an hour and thoroughly knacker yourself in doing so (e.g. a hard game of squash or fast cycling)........... the feeling of satisfaction that follows is wonderful..............anything else is just for whimps....... :D (but do feel free to disagree..... :o )

Thats the beauty of "sport", it is broad in spectrum and suits all shapes, sizes, fitness,levels, ages and genders.

Its always interested me, what do people see in golf? Why did you start playing and what do you love about it? It seems like a very frustrating game to me, but I like the idea of it not being a team sport (I am not into team sports). So, I'd love to hear from the golfing nuts what made you crazy about golf :o

Although I wouldn't classify myself as a golfing nut or someone who loves golf, there are many reasons why it is a very enjoyable pastime. Of course, these same reasons could also be said of many other pastimes.

- It is a sport that allows me to unwind after work. Going out and hitting the ball and taking a walk as the sun goes down is very relaxing and theraputic. It helps the mind to relax. Golf is just one of many pastime activities where this can be done.

- By use of the handicap system, one can compete on a fair and equitable playing field with other players of all skill levels, both much better and much worse.

- It is a game with common rules and etiquette and it is recognized most of the world around. For business or friendship, it is a way to establish a common bond that can lead to friend and business relationships.

- It is a sport of mind over matter. The mental game is equally as important as the physical game. Twenty to thirty years ago, I was in much better shape, could hit the ball further and could shape a much wider variety of different shots (like draws, fades, high, low, etc.). But I'm a heck of a lot better player today than I was then. Back then, a score in the high 80's or low 90's on a medium difficult course was really good. Now, being able to go to low 80's on very tough courses is within reach. The difference is that the improvement in my mental approach and short game saves more shots than the lost raw physical skills have given back.

- There are so many ways to compete, such as match play, stroke play, 2-man better ball, 4-man scrambles, etc.

- Playing in accordance with the rules. Not very many people know most of the basic rules very well. But they do add a lot of enjoyment and fairness to the game. It is also a reflection on the individual, whether one plays by the rules, bends the rules, or completely ignores the rules.

- There are so many different ways to gamble, such as skins, Nassau, long drive, closest to the hole on Par 3's, etc. I don't care what anyone says. But putting some money on the line between equally skilled or fairly handicapped players, and seeing who plays the best or conducts himself with the most steady decorum under pressure, can tell you a lot about the person away from the golf course.

- Providing the minimum physical health is maintained, it is a game than can be enjoyed throughout life. My now-deceased grandfather played well into his 70's. My father is 77 and can still get around for 9 or 18 with a buggy. I hope that I am able to do so if I live that long.

- There so many different kinds of courses to play, such as links, parkland, flat, hilly, dry hard and fast, lush soft and slow, wide open with few trees, tight with lots of trees.

- There are so many different conditions to play under, such as hot, cold, wet, dry, windy, calm and usually combinations. The challenge is adjusting for the different conditions.

- And although I do really enjoy playing golf with women, and would rather watch the women professionals than the men play the game live or on TV, there are always the male bonding aspects such as throwing back a few in the bar after the game, bragging rights for the best shots of the day, busting balls for some of the worst, swapping stories, etc.

• 3 months later...

I ever wonder just like u Sbk, i though golf is a borring sport and it didnt seem u exercise that much. Oneday me and my Boyfriend, we played Tiger wood PGA2006 playstation2 game and so addicted to it then he askde me why dont i play it in real??(he plays golf already )after that day he took me to SENA driving rang in Radprao, to a proshop there and got me the whole set of 2nd hand clubs. first i couldnt hit even the shadow of the ball (im very good in playstation) and this is HOW ITS FUN, u will have to learn and try to beat urself by u must hit and ball and make it fry as ur target. it all about u , u can make game fun and u also can ruin ur game just because of ur mood... its fun to beat urself to get better short and to be able to hit the target. try is sbk and u will know.

by the way, after i experienced 18holes in a course i know this sport can make u tired... u wont be notice how far u can walk!!

Little_muppet

I think I do it to have some sort of structure in life something to replace work now that I have retired. I only play two or three times a week usually. I like to think that at my age(62) it is something which I can continue into old-old age. It involves reletively huge expenses, Minimum 1000 Bt per time, enough for 40 swims. 20 games of tennis 20 lunches of Kanom Jin, 30 cans of beer, but worth it. I agree with a previous poster; it is not the same enjoyment which One gets from being totally knackered but at my age I don't need that so often. I laugh at the description 'athelete' being applied to some of the 'lard-balls' who seem to be so adept at golf, but it shows how universal a game it is. I enjoy it on a good day, and this is not necessarily when things are all going well, in fact it is only when things are going well that they can go wrong, the trick is to keep it from going wrong, and sometimes it can be a 'hel_l-of-a-challenge'. The satisfaction at the end is as good as being 'knackered' and it is acceptable then to go and do something totally unhealthy, a thing which the athelete can not afford to do. Incidentally the apres-golf is referred to as the 'nineteenth-hole', in UK this is the bar, in Thailand I learned last Thursday it refers to a 'hole' and involves caddies!; how very Thai.

Edited by tgeezer

Good answers all, thanks!

We don't have a golf course on the island so its unlikely I'll ever play here, but it has always held some appeal for me. I like little muppet's story. Sounds like something I'd end up doing :o

• 1 month later...

Although I wouldn't classify myself as a golfing nut or someone who loves golf, there are many reasons why it is a very enjoyable pastime. Of course, these same reasons could also be said of many other pastimes.

- It is a sport that allows me to unwind after work. Going out and hitting the ball and taking a walk as the sun goes down is very relaxing and theraputic. It helps the mind to relax. Golf is just one of many pastime activities where this can be done.

- By use of the handicap system, one can compete on a fair and equitable playing field with other players of all skill levels, both much better and much worse.

- It is a game with common rules and etiquette and it is recognized most of the world around. For business or friendship, it is a way to establish a common bond that can lead to friend and business relationships.

- It is a sport of mind over matter. The mental game is equally as important as the physical game. Twenty to thirty years ago, I was in much better shape, could hit the ball further and could shape a much wider variety of different shots (like draws, fades, high, low, etc.). But I'm a heck of a lot better player today than I was then. Back then, a score in the high 80's or low 90's on a medium difficult course was really good. Now, being able to go to low 80's on very tough courses is within reach. The difference is that the improvement in my mental approach and short game saves more shots than the lost raw physical skills have given back.

- There are so many ways to compete, such as match play, stroke play, 2-man better ball, 4-man scrambles, etc.

- Playing in accordance with the rules. Not very many people know most of the basic rules very well. But they do add a lot of enjoyment and fairness to the game. It is also a reflection on the individual, whether one plays by the rules, bends the rules, or completely ignores the rules.

- There are so many different ways to gamble, such as skins, Nassau, long drive, closest to the hole on Par 3's, etc. I don't care what anyone says. But putting some money on the line between equally skilled or fairly handicapped players, and seeing who plays the best or conducts himself with the most steady decorum under pressure, can tell you a lot about the person away from the golf course.

- Providing the minimum physical health is maintained, it is a game than can be enjoyed throughout life. My now-deceased grandfather played well into his 70's. My father is 77 and can still get around for 9 or 18 with a buggy. I hope that I am able to do so if I live that long.

- There so many different kinds of courses to play, such as links, parkland, flat, hilly, dry hard and fast, lush soft and slow, wide open with few trees, tight with lots of trees.

- There are so many different conditions to play under, such as hot, cold, wet, dry, windy, calm and usually combinations. The challenge is adjusting for the different conditions.

- And although I do really enjoy playing golf with women, and would rather watch the women professionals than the men play the game live or on TV, there are always the male bonding aspects such as throwing back a few in the bar after the game, bragging rights for the best shots of the day, busting balls for some of the worst, swapping stories, etc.

'Spee' , beautifully put - you encompassed all the things that golf does for me and I am coming on 65. I have only just in the last year started again to play golf after problems with arthritis etc in the UK and I am doing my damnedist to get back down to single figures again - we all live in hope where golf is concerned I think you will agree.

To quote one of the golfing greats - Arnold Palmer said:-

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satifies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - It is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."

To the person who related to sweating and playing squash etc - I used to play squash at a quite reasonable level in my younger years and could play 3 games of competitive squash one after the other, so I was no slouch, but beleive you me my friend; If you haven't played golf, you have truly missed out on one of lifes great sporting enjoyments. I hope that I will be able to play well into my 80's ( if I live that long). My Mother took up golf when she was 65 when my Dad retired and she said "what the heck I might as well join in" and she played well into her 80's. I remember one day, when she was 75 and I took her out for 9 holes and after she had driven off from the first tee, she turned to me and said " Oh I do wish that I could hit the ball as far as I used to do!" It is truly a great game and can be enjoyed at all levels. I take great consulation from the fact that I can see professional golfers ( who works at their game 7 days a week) make the same basic mistake as we all do at times and you say to yourself "There is hope for me yet". EVERY game of golf is totally different from the last and it does test your mental as well as physical abilities. I sincerely hope that the OP who started this thread gets the chance to try the game and the very best of luck.