How To 'associate' Myself With Sole Trader Business

The hotel that my wife and I own in Phuket is a sole-trader business, registered in her name. This is because it seems so much simpler for a Thai person to register (and run) a business without any 'farang' involvement. I can afford to lose my investment if it all goes pear-shaped, (I have my own overseas business). Additionally, because we are legally married, I certainly do have a legal claim for 50% of this business, should we ever get divorced; (the business was established after we were married).

Now I'm looking at establishing an additional business in Thailand, and would like my wife to be the owner/sole trader status of this new business.

However, it would be nice if I could at least claim some kudos from establishing this business for her/us. I'm thinking (as an example) of my PR application in the future. I presume that it would help my application if I were able to show that I had established some profitable businesses in Thailand for my wife. But if my name is not 'associated' in any way with my hotel/other businesses, then there's absolutely nothing to show my involvement/entrepreneurship etc.

So, in a sole-trader business, can another person be mentioned in the registration documents in some way? (I want to avoid a legal partnership with my wife because that involves a non-Thai in the business). (Being an employee of these businesses really does not go far enough for me. I want to be recognised as the investor/entrepreneur in these businesses, but not the owner or controller of the business.

Maybe this sounds a strange request. But it seems to me that there are many good business opportunities in Thailand that are worth exploiting - and made so much easier if there is no farang partner/owner/shareholder etc.

Thanks for advice

Simon

(Some TV members may remember that my wife has had some mental illness problems. These are under control now, but one never knows what might occur in the future. I am happy to limit 'protection' of my investments through the divorce laws of Thailand)

Soundman, I don't want a partnership for the very reason that this requires the 'legal' involvement of a non-Thai (me) in the business. I would be a 49% owner which I do not want. I simply want my businesses in LoS to be 100% owned by my wife, but where I can still be recognised as the guy who established the business.

Simon

Soundman, I don't want a partnership for the very reason that this requires the 'legal' involvement of a non-Thai (me) in the business. I would be a 49% owner which I do not want. I simply want my businesses in LoS to be 100% owned by my wife, but where I can still be recognised as the guy who established the business.

Simon

I do understand where you are coming from. I started out down this road with my business. However, unless its "written down on paper" - you own nothing, have no "legal" say should things go pear shaped & with regards to Immigration & PR, have done nothing to enhance your consideration for candidicy. In their eyes you have been "bumming" around even though in actual reality you may have been contributing 60 hours per week.

Upside is that for visa considerations, income generated by the "wifes" business is usable by you (the family) to be able to meet finacial obligations of the Visa Rules pertaining to yearly extension of Non O visa.

Soundman.

(I want to avoid a legal partnership with my wife because that involves a non-Thai in the business). (Being an employee of these businesses really does not go far enough for me. I want to be recognised as the investor/entrepreneur in these businesses, but not the owner or controller of the business.

Maybe this sounds a strange request. But it seems to me that there are many good business opportunities in Thailand that are worth exploiting - and made so much easier if there is no farang partner/owner/shareholder etc.

Not a Shareholder?

Not a Partner?

Not an Employee?

Not the Owner?

Not the Controller?

mmm.....I dunno about Thailand but in my part of the world I would struggle to classify you formally - I guess it will be your money going into a business so you could be the major Creditor / "Investor", with the Loan paperwork to back this up? Also what about owning the Business by a Thai Company owned 100% by another Thai (holding) company in which you are a substantial shareholder and / or controlling employee (MD / CEO?!).......seperates you from the underlying business itself but means that when / if needed you can document that you are one of the major investors behind the business - but not directly involved so your Farang Connection ( :o ) is not relevent to the Thai business day to day operations. (of course the question then may arise as to whether you need a WP to act for the underlying Thai business - but I am sure you are way ahead of me on that one!)...........of course whether this would be sufficient for folk in Thailand to recognise you as the prnicpal person behind the business is a different question.

Maybe wearing a T-shirt with the business logo would be cheaper / easier for folk to understand :D

Maybe wearing a T-shirt with the business logo would be cheaper / easier for folk to understand :D

:o:D

Sorry Simon. I have been reading your posts for more than a year now, know what you do & have respect for what you have accomplished.

But mental images this comment above instills are pretty funny!

Apologies! :D