Starbucks In Nong Khai

JonnieB

I love my coffee, and that means I love starbucks coffee. How can you compare Starbucks to the old lady on the soi, or the wooden coffee kart you see everywhere in Bangkok's shops. Admit it, it's the price that puts you off, not the taste/quality!

Yes, somehow it doesn't make sense that Starbucks is so successful and they are making money hand over fist, but their coffee is "no good".

Sounds like the same old phonies who can't admit that a McDonald's burger every once in while hits the spot or the wine in Australia and California is as good as in France. :o

I take the same position in this as I usually do in these arguments. Their coffee is alright, just like Mc Donald's burgers, but the fact that their shops are clean and attractive, plus the fact that just like Mc Donald's they now are part of a 'global' America package is far more important for their success.

I don't mind paying for a cup of coffee every now and then at that price either, that's not the issue.

My main objection is that for every big successful chain that pops up everywhere, the world seems a little less interesting and diverse. Some people are happy with living in a world that looks like Singapore, and good luck to them. I prefer unique places.

There is a BIG difference between McDonalds and Starbucks. In its home country and many other places, McDonalds is seen as a tasty, inexpensive snack, but not a high quality one and even in Thailand it is cheaper than most Western food.

Starbucks is supposed to be GREAT coffee, but at a premium price. The concepts are opposite and Starbucks is not supposed to be just "alright".

As far as Singapore goes, I love the place, but don't want every city to be the same. However, I see very few that are. San Francisco has lots of chains, but it has lots of unique restaurants and shops as well. Same goes for New York, Paris, Bangkok, and on and on.

Having a few of these chains in each city hurts nothing and makes life more convienient. Every city has eyesores that are much worse than international shops and restaurants. I don't understand the people who can't just ignore them and enjoy the things that they enjoy. :D

Starbucks makes a good, consistent cup of coffee but I personally don't care for their roasting style. Their coffee is over-roasted for my palate, and therefore I have always thought of them as Charbucks. I prefer a light/medium roast coffee myself (if you're from the States and are familiar with the Eight O'Clock brand, that's what I normally drink). A cup of Starbucks once-in-a-blue-moon is okay by me but it's not my everyday drinking coffee.

The best coffee in the US and some say the world is PEETS coffee. Unfortunately for us, they aren't much into being a global brand, although you can buy their fantastic beans by mail order:

http://www.peets.com/fvpage.asp?rdir=1&

However, Starbucks really isn't bad at all. By Thai standards, it is excellent. When I have a choice I don't go there because I can get the same or better for the same or less money, so I would rather support smaller operators. But in Thailand, you could argue they are the top of the heap. Certainly if you go for those silly fancy desert drinks, they are the gold standard. They do have decent coffee but what they are really selling is the Starbucks experience and feeling of success. Hey I can afford a 5 dollar cup of sweet stuff that costs 20 cents to make!

I used to have a friend in Seattle who told me he had a best friend who was impoverished but spent 20 dollars a day on Starbucks coffee drinks. Kind of like a crack addict, eh?

Edited by Jingthing

The best coffee in the US and some say the world is PEETS coffee. Unfortunately for us, they aren't much into being a global brand, although you can buy their fantastic beans by mail order:

I used to have a friend in Seattle who told me he had a best friend who was impoverished but spent 20 dollars a day on Starbucks coffee drinks. Kind of like a crack addict, eh?

Jing,

The only problem with that is that with the shipping charges, it comes out to like something close to $25-$30 a pound. A that's if it dodges the customs/excise boys at the post-office :o

Good thing I have a quick run back to SFO in a couple weeks...will be chugging gallons of Peets during that week and packing a few pounds with on the return too :D

Edited by JonnieB

Actually, honestly speaking I find the quality and selection of pre-ground coffees to be excellent in Thailand grocery stores and not expensive for morning coffee. Starbucks is a luxury, but not necessary daily! Lots of good alternatives available.

I love my coffee, and that means I love starbucks coffee. How can you compare Starbucks to the old lady on the soi, or the wooden coffee kart you see everywhere in Bangkok's shops. Admit it, it's the price that puts you off, not the taste/quality!

Yes, somehow it doesn't make sense that Starbucks is so successful and they are making money hand over fist, but their coffee is "no good".

Sounds like the same old phonies who can't admit that a McDonald's burger every once in while hits the spot or the wine in Australia and California is as good as in France. :o

I take the same position in this as I usually do in these arguments. Their coffee is alright, just like Mc Donald's burgers, but the fact that their shops are clean and attractive, plus the fact that just like Mc Donald's they now are part of a 'global' America™ package is far more important for their success.

I don't mind paying for a cup of coffee every now and then at that price either, that's not the issue.

My main objection is that for every big successful chain that pops up everywhere, the world seems a little less interesting and diverse. Some people are happy with living in a world that looks like Singapore, and good luck to them. I prefer unique places.

There is a BIG difference between McDonalds and Starbucks. In its home country and many other places, McDonalds is seen as a tasty, inexpensive snack, but not a high quality one and even in Thailand it is cheaper than most Western food.

I agree.

Starbucks is supposed to be GREAT coffee, but at a premium price. The concepts are opposite and Starbucks is not supposed to be just "alright".

Fair enough if this is their concept; if so, in my eyes, they have failed. To me they remain a decent, but rather bleak alternative to an establishment with a personal and local touch, just like Mc Donald's compared to Woody's, for example.

As far as Singapore goes, I love the place, but don't want every city to be the same.

Singapore is great to visit for a few days - I would never want to live there.

However, I see very few that are. San Francisco has lots of chains, but it has lots of unique restaurants and shops as well. Same goes for New York, Paris, Bangkok, and on and on.

Never been to the States so can't discuss New York or San Francisco. Not too keen on Paris, too much doggie poo - but you're right it's pretty unique even these days.

Something that did irritate me though, was the Pizza Hut some 100 meters from the Sphinx in Egypt. It really ruined the experience. Not that I don't want Egyptians to eat Pizza Hut... just the location of it.

Having a few of these chains in each city hurts nothing and makes life more convienient. Every city has eyesores that are much worse than international shops and restaurants. I don't understand the people who can't just ignore them and enjoy the things that they enjoy. :D

Because they contribute to uglification. Don't get me wrong - I don't get my knickers in a twist about one or two Starbucks, a Mc Donalds here and there... it IS convenient. But convenience is not the be-all and end-all of our existance, is it? To illustrate what I mean, let's look at 7-Eleven.

There is no denying their successful business concept and the convenience, but it's a catastrophe from the viewpoint of aesthetics and charm to have the same glaring logotype on every single street corner.

Because they contribute to uglification. Don't get me wrong - I don't get my knickers in a twist about one or two Starbucks, a Mc Donalds here and there... it IS convenient. But convenience is not the be-all and end-all of our existance, is it? To illustrate what I mean, let's look at 7-Eleven.

There is no denying their successful business concept and the convenience, but it's a catastrophe from the viewpoint of aesthetics and charm to have the same glaring logotype on every single street corner.

I agree that we need only one or two of these chains in a city, and Seven-Eleven is way out of control. On the other hand, no matter how many 7-11s they build, they all seem to be full 24 hours per day! :o

Look out Starbucks, Wawee is coming. Already 13 branches in Chiangmai and Lampang and more planned for Bangkok and other regions soon. Their layout is similar to Starbucks, comfy chairs, wi-fi, mags, yuppies, etc etc. However, their products are fantastic and 30-50 % cheaper than SB's. Most of the cofee is sourced from Northern Thailand and related Royal projects, so you are also helping out the hill folk who have (mostly) changed over from Opium cultivation. A worthy cause indeed.

Enjoy your 150-200 baht, double de-caf fruppachino, with a twist of whatever and consider how much of that goes to the growers and farmers...

One of the planets biggest scams.. :ohttp://www.waweecoffee.net/beta-3/en/index...c.php?redirect=

Edited by Austhaied

Pacific Coffee Co. held their ground pretty successfully against Starbucks in Hong Kong, but ultimately they were dwarfed. I guess Black Canyon might be similar, but their concept is different, and more food oriented. I hope we see more competition bringing quality up and price down, but good damm luck to them against this freight train of a company.

Wawee does appear to be another local Starbucks clone. Looks pretty good and I like their basic menu as I only drink black brewed coffee anyway. However, they don't offer frou frou drinks that are so popular at Starbucks such as red bean Whooppeecinos, almost looks like they are lazy and not bothering because thats harder to do. I like hill tribe coffees but that would be really one dimensional to be limited to that variety. Also, it would cost them maybe a few thousand baht to have some college student proofread their webpage. Heck, I could fix the copy below for a free latte.

Interesting business savvy there. Trying to sell franchises. Too cheap to pay an editor.

The name is cool though: Wawee. Has potential. Sounds fun in a pissy kind of way.

So unprofessional:

Mr. Kraisit Poosuwan ( 39 years old ) , Chiangmai people , he graduated in package-design and decor field. At the begining , he make the fuel-pump business. and next he do the advertise/publish company.

One day ,his inspiration of famous-power coffee shop , he interested in coffee business . At Doi Wawee in Chiangrai province , he start to find , educate , research in all about the coffee . ( such as growth , gather , harvest , roast , prepare ).

In June .1986 , he launched the first wawee coffee shop at "Pang Chang Mae-sa" ( amphur Mae-rim , Chiangmai ). After that , In 1997 , he stabilized the wawee coffee company and launched the nice coffee shop in nimhmanhaeminh area. ( NHM soi 9 ).

And Next , In 1999 , he think to make wawee bigger and well-know .with the franchise method and more own branch. Not only that, he build roaster-factory himself to manage quality control of wawee coffee. and launched the 2nd wawee coffee shop at Surinwong Book Center( well-know book shop in Chiangmai ).

Edited by Jingthing

Wawee does appear to be another local Starbucks clone. Looks pretty good and I like their basic menu as I only drink black brewed coffee anyway. However, they don't offer frou frou drinks that are so popular at Starbucks such as red bean Whooppeecinos, almost looks like they are lazy and not bothering because thats harder to do. I like hill tribe coffees but that would be really one dimensional to be limited to that variety. Also, it would cost them maybe a few thousand baht to have some college student proofread their webpage. Heck, I could fix the copy below for a free latte.

Interesting business savvy there. Trying to sell franchises. Too cheap to pay an editor.

The name is cool though: Wawee. Has potential. Sounds fun in a pissy kind of way.

So unprofessional:

Mr. Kraisit Poosuwan ( 39 years old ) , Chiangmai people , he graduated in package-design and decor field. At the begining , he make the fuel-pump business. and next he do the advertise/publish company.

One day ,his inspiration of famous-power coffee shop , he interested in coffee business . At Doi Wawee in Chiangrai province , he start to find , educate , research in all about the coffee . ( such as growth , gather , harvest , roast , prepare ).

In June .1986 , he launched the first wawee coffee shop at "Pang Chang Mae-sa" ( amphur Mae-rim , Chiangmai ). After that , In 1997 , he stabilized the wawee coffee company and launched the nice coffee shop in nimhmanhaeminh area. ( NHM soi 9 ).

And Next , In 1999 , he think to make wawee bigger and well-know .with the franchise method and more own branch. Not only that, he build roaster-factory himself to manage quality control of wawee coffee. and launched the 2nd wawee coffee shop at Surinwong Book Center( well-know book shop in Chiangmai ).

At least he's having a go. And he's probably doing a lot better than you and i as well.. :o

Im Not sure Starbucks is not more about an indviduals "look at me using my notebook am better tha you lesser other Thais" as this is what I see a lot of when I go past their shops. They dont seem to be smelling that delicious aroma and commenting on it with their friends more showing off they are prepared to pay the inflated prices.

Starbucks coffee is truly horrible, and though it is true the price is also ridiculous, I wouldn't drink it for 20 baht.

However there is nothing surprising about the presence of choice-destroying corporations in a dependency of the Empire. In 20 years Thailand will be just like the US - nothing but fast food and no sexual services to be found anywhere.

However there is nothing surprising about the presence of choice-destroying corporations in a dependency of the Empire. In 20 years Thailand will be just like the US - nothing but fast food and no sexual services to be found anywhere.

I would bet a lot of money that you are very wrong on both counts! :o