Room A/c Not Needing Installation

I will be taking over a new built condo in next few days. Is there any room air conditioner which is a standalone unit that doesn't require any wall installation (like a split unit or window unit)? I'm looking for an A/C that basically one buys, brings into the room, plug it in, and turn it on. I guess there has to be a hose where the water drains off.

Are there any units like that, and would I be able to find such a unit at like Homepro or Paragon? The reason I want such a unit is that I wish to be able to use the room as soon as I take it over, and take my time on doing the proper installations. I'm not in Thailand now, so that's why I'm asking the question about availability.

Thanks.

I will be taking over a new built condo in next few days. Is there any room air conditioner which is a standalone unit that doesn't require any wall installation (like a split unit or window unit)? I'm looking for an A/C that basically one buys, brings into the room, plug it in, and turn it on. I guess there has to be a hose where the water drains off.

Are there any units like that, and would I be able to find such a unit at like Homepro or Paragon? The reason I want such a unit is that I wish to be able to use the room as soon as I take it over, and take my time on doing the proper installations. I'm not in Thailand now, so that's why I'm asking the question about availability.

Thanks.

I have seen what you are talking about I believe at Home Pro. I don'ty remember the price but do remember that they were only about 6,000 BTU and relatively expensive. I would only buy one if I was moving out of a house soon, or renting a room otherwise in Thailand instalation is fast and cheap for a split unit, go that way.

I have seen what you are talking about I believe at Home Pro. I don'ty remember the price but do remember that they were only about 6,000 BTU and relatively expensive. I would only buy one if I was moving out of a house soon, or renting a room otherwise in Thailand instalation is fast and cheap for a split unit, go that way.

I'll second this motion. These portable units are only designed for a room no larger than about 4m x 4m, & even this is pushing the limit. Save your money & buy a fan.

TBWG is qualified to answer the "real deal" on installing the "portable a/c unit" from a real air conditioning company. He might comment on what was REALLY entailed to deal with the vents on this portable unit with wheels. These units just plug into a regular wall socket, but it like many things in Thailand is not what you first think. TBWG would be in a better position to give an honest answer on the level of noise the unit makes as compared to his LG split system (after a 400 baht cleaning by the local appliance store staff). I have seen such units listed in several air conditioning manufactures catalogs at Independent Appliance stores including www.centralair.co.th

Where I live in a rental unit it is COMMON practice for each tenant who can afford an A/C unit to have a split system installed and to have it taken out when they move. Then again this is up country in a 2000 baht a month neighborhood not a condo in Bangkok. We do have quiet Amena split system a/c in each bedroom which we will take out and bring to our new home. My wife is sure the landlord in our house will not be angry or dock us if we take away the a/c unit. I swear they think nothing of taking out bathroom fixtures, electric "D square" box, window insect screens, or ANYTHING you put in at your expense. I suspect many of the the items we installed in this unit to make it "safe" will end up in my in-laws Village house when we move into a larger new home.

At our independent appliance dealer in Buriram they have a four man staff come out THE NEXT DAY to properly install split system a/c so patience is not always a virtue you need in Thailand, except the Immigration office, building permit office or most hospital waiting rooms. It is my understanding the "wait to install" from a major retailer such as Makro, Tesco or Big C might not be the next day, but you can check in your area. Most stores seem stuck on the "special price in brochure", but Buriram Supply near the Bamboo Bar and Easy Buy office in Buriram has discounted from the printed price on every item we have purchased.

If you want to see what the Portable units might look like just do a Google Images search for: Lost in Space Robot. Private joke with TBWG

Thanks for the responses. I've checked online and saw examples of the portable units. I think I will do a proper split unit installation as suggested.

Thank you.

Hi Tangoll

Yup, I have a central air portable unit I think about 12,000 btu, (I say think because I am not in LOS to check) It certainly puts out a lot of cool air so no complaints there.

However it is quite noisy although not excessively so and yes you do have to put a large hot air exhaust hose about 4 inches in diameter out of the window so difficult to get an airtight mossie free seal! there is an adaptor to obtain an airtight seal but this needs to be a fixture so defeats the portable requirement.

The big plus is that you can just plug in and go, no additional circuit breaker required which seems to be the norm on fixed installations, and if you are renting obviously easy to take with you.

I use it for spare guest rooms so it is ideal for that need, but I recall it being fairly expensive I think in the region of 18-20,000 baht :o sorry can't be more precise.

Really its a case of horses for courses

Hope this helps

TBWG :D

I went to Central Chidlom and Homepro Ploenchit and Homepro Prachachuen. For one 12,000 and two 9,000 BTU units, Central's best price was 57,000 baht including standard installation for a Panasonic, Sharp, and Hitachi unit; Homepro Ploenchit's price was 49,000 for 3 Panasonic units, and HP Prachachuen's price was 39,000 baht for a Panasonic and two LG (9,000 BTU) units. Amongst Homepro, prices were same for same unit, but Ploenchit did not have the LG units on display. These were split units.

All were willing to have units installed two days after ordering; Saturday placed the order at HP Prachachuen Road, and Monday units were installed. Worked fine the first time started up.

Extra installation charges totalled 5,100 baht for condenser racks, extra wiring/hose, etc but I'm not sure how these were itemized.

All in all, a pleasureable experience, and I doubt if one could find such quick deliver/installation service even in Hong Kong or certainly not in Western countries. Of course, I ordered other items so total bill came to over 90,000 baht -- water heaters and curtain rods (also installed on Monday), and custom shelves/cabinet units to be made by the Wood Centre at HP Prachachuen (to be delivered 16 Sept when I return to BKK).

I guess the moral of this tale is that if you know exactly what you want, when you want it, you can get quality products with quick delivery/installation in Bangkok.