H.m. The Queen's Initiative For Researching Hemp

A few weeks ago there was a mention in one of the BKK newspapers - of HM the Queen being interested in developing hemp strains for Thailand. I have some detailed and scientific info that might be helpful in that endeavor. I'm cruising for suggestions on how to contact the folks who are involved with the Thai effort researching hemp.

thanks. by way of the first link, I found the following contact info:

Ms. Darunee Edwards

Executive Vice President, Administration

Doi Kham Food Products Co., Ltd.

(Royal Project Food Processing)

An Affiliated Company of Crown Property Bureau

173 Rajsima Road, Dusit, Bangkok 10300, Thailand

im interested in hemp farming also...

thehia.org ....excellent up-to-date info on hemp

growing // products // political updates // scientific data

In reference to the guy who showed the tie-died T-shirt. It's very beautiful colorful design.

I get the gist - he's inferring that hemp is psychoactive (gets you high). It's not. You can get a bigger buzz from a half cup of coffee or a tobacco cigarette ....than from smoking a kilo of dried hemp leaves. The only thing you'll get from somking hemp is an infernal headache - don't forget to pack some aspirin.

im interested in hemp farming also...

thehia.org ....excellent up-to-date info on hemp

growing // products // political updates // scientific data

In reference to the guy who showed the tie-died T-shirt. It's very beautiful colorful design.

I get the gist - he's inferring that hemp is psychoactive (gets you high). It's not. You can get a bigger buzz from a half cup of coffee or a tobacco cigarette ....than from smoking a kilo of dried hemp leaves. The only thing you'll get from somking hemp is an infernal headache - don't forget to pack some aspirin.

I went to the HIA site and could not find any information on how to farm hemp...is it there and I just haven't been able to find it?

Also, in your original post you said you had some information that H.M. the Queen's group on hemp might like to have....will you share it with us?

Chownah

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thailand is often influenced by trends set in the US.

National Parks, no-smoking areas, computer/email development, wheelchair accessible areas, drug laws, seatbelts in cars, etc. ....the list is large. That's not to say copying = compliance, but the strong influence it there.

That sort of influence has existed also re; Thailand's official policy on drugs and how it deals with hemp (same as ganga, because that's how the US views it).

However, things are changing for the better. 2010 looks to be a breakthrough year regarding sensible laws regarding hemp and its farming. Already, hemp products are available in Thai markets, and some Thais and hill tribers probably farm it, though they would have to do so clandestinely, as it's still officially categorized as an illegal drug. Even a Thai gardener with a little hemp plant in her backyard could be prosecuted for breaking the law, because Thai laws on that, mirror archaic US laws.

American legislators are starting to see the light. In 2009, the states of Maine and Oregon passed legislation legalizing farming of hemp. At least a dozen states (and the federal government itself) are considering removing hemp from being lumped together with ganga/marijuana as a psycho-active drug.

All this means it's inevitable that Thailand's legislators will one day soon come to their senses and allow hemp to be farmed. When that happens, a whole host of opportunities will open up for Thai farmers.

Others industries will benefit also. A partial list:

Furniture makers (already, Volvo and other car manufacturers use hemp hurds in their upholstery).

Foods and edible oil: Foods and snacks made with hemp seed are becoming increasingly popular in farang countries.

Clothing: everything from wall hangings to tough-as-Levis jeans can be made from hemp fibers. And we've all heard of hemp rope.

Fuel: Hemp stalks can play a part. Hemp is a fast growing annual on marginal soil, and after its other useful products are taken (seed, fiber, hurd) then its stalks can be burned to generate electricity. Not at sexy or kickback-prone as nuclear (from EGAT's perspective) but v. useful.

There are other practical uses of hemp, including a type of bio-degradable plastic - the list goes on. However, currently, Thai leaders aren't even considering the topic as they're too focused on Reds and Yellows and golf and mia noi and flying off to Bali. Perhaps some day, Thai politicians will get to dealing with some of the issues which will positively affect Thailand's future.