Do You Like Your Thai Mother-in-law?

garro

She has said 3 words to me. One of them was "ok" when I asked her if it would be okay in her book if I tied the knot with her daughter...whats there not to like?

Got to tell this. A cold winter day in Norway a friend of mines doorbell rang. He ignored it for a while, put the persistant angry ringing continued so he opened his front door and spied his somewhat freezing mother in law standing there. So before she could open her mouth (quite and achivement by itself), he said:

Ah, it's you. Well, dont stand there and get cold. Go home... :o

Then he slammed the door shut and continued his day :D :D :D

Garro, congratulations on the birth of your child.

My mother-in-law it a bit nuts, but she's been better lately. I'm glad she lives a few houses away and that we don't see that much of her!

Father-in-law lives in the house with us though, and he's the tricky one to tolerate. But he's not that bad.

We live near the rest of my wife's siblings, and they are all great people; honest, hard working, friendly, supportive. It's one of the good things about staying where we are instead of building our own house in another part of town.

I had grown fond of my mother-in-law over the years, and saw here as a sweet little thing who was always smiling or laughing. We lived in the same village but didn't spend too much time together. This changed when my baby was born two weeks ago and she decided to stay with us so that she could 'help out'.

Since then we have spent almost every waking minute together and due to the baby not sleeping this means a lot of minutes. She has completely take over our house and even her breathing is beginning to grate on my nerves. The most annoying thing she does is open our shutters at 0600 in the morning even though my wife an I have had less than an hour of sleep overnight. We don't have a door on our house so once the shutters are up we are open to the world to visit, and they do.

When the baby cries she wanders around the house talking to ghosts. I have nothing against her beliefs and she may even be right but wouldn't it be more effective given us a hand with the baby.

We were expecting her to return to her own house last monday but she decided it was an unlucky day an is staying till sunday. She is also really annoying my wife who feels powerless to complain.

Do you like your Thai mother-in-law?

I like my Thai mother-in-law even though she lives with us. She's raised seven children and I admire her very much.

But having someone staying in your home is always going to be difficult, especially a mother-in-law from another culture.

If shutters at dawn is your only problem, you're lucky!

The big problem may be only having Thaivisa to grumble to? Pom khaojai!

Do you like your Thai mother-in-law?

I would say Ye. My MIL is great. Shes a fantastic cook and looks after me when i visit. Asks after me when the wife calls her in LOS. Unfortunately my Thai is limited and her English is null. So no big conversations go on between us. But we have alaugh in my broken Thai and she knows i look after her daughter. BTW her Hang Lay curry is ######ing awsome. :o