Destination Suggestions?

bkkbound04

hi all :D

well im counting the days til i leave for los :D

i was planning on staying in bkk for a couple of nights then down to pattaya...i'll be in los for 4 mth

i read a couple of negative comments about pattaya the other day on the board :o basically saying about the expats that are yobs spoiling the place..

i visitied los last year for 2 wks and stayed in pattaya....i didn't notice any of this although admitedly u do have to keep your wits about u(as with anywhere)

i'm not visiting los as a sex tourist(no offense to peeps that do)

i want to spend my time in los getting fit and healthy and enjoying the sights and culture....ideally i'll return to the uk heavier and healthier after my trip

...i still plan on going out and enjoying the nightlife but i plan on weight training, muay thai lessons and thai language lessons along with just lounging by the pool/beach in the sun :wub:

when i visited last year it was bkk, pattaya and ayudthai(sp) the latter being too quiet/remote and bkk being too full on! i enjoyed pattaya as it ws by the sea and seemed to have everything i'd need for this trip(quite commercial)

i'd appreciate more info/opinions/views on pattaya :D

any alternatives to pattaya would be appreiciated also -_-

thanks in advance :D

I always thought Rayong was a good alternative to Pattaya, only another 60 km's or so from Pattaya . Me and the old lady always head there on weekend get aways rather than Pattaya as it's not much further from Bangers by car anyways. The beaches are nicer and not too many naughty falangs.

I am sure it is not the ex-pats who spoil Pattaya so much but tourists.

thanks for the response 350 :D

i think u're probably right bout it being the tourists rather than ex pats that spoil it...

i confused felang with ex pat :o

i've got a very basic map...is rayong 1/2 way between pattaya and chantaburi?

i'll try find out some more info on it :D

any other info/suggestions??

pattaya is the most popular, sex tourist destination,and is geared up for that purpose so i cant see that it is being ruined by tourists,after all your a tourist!that said ,i dont go to pattaya anymore ,instead i now go to phuket, it is still relatively clean and beautiful,i also plan to visit ,hua-hin,ans koh samui this xmas as im coming for 33 nights :D btw im a sex tourist ------coming to thailand ,and not interested in sanuk?anathema ! :o

thanks peeps :D

i appreciate all the response but could peeps be a bit more specific bout the problems with pattaya?? e.g violence, sex town, pollution??

when i visited pattaya last year...

a guy on the trip with us spent about 12hrs in pattaya then left....he thought it was too tacky/sleazy and opted to move on to phi phi etc and went to a full moon party :D

although i felt simmilar with the set up of pattaya(sex town) it had a lot more to offer being pretty comercial and being home to sityudtong camp :D

i will visit the smaller islands but probably only for a few days at a time

as i say i didn't notice any trouble when i was in pattaya(the worst i did see was drunk felang being a bit too strong with local bar girls...but they didn't protest)

with all the negative comments bout pattaya i'm wondering if i just got lucky in the 2 wks i was in los??

i don't relish the thought of going to a foreign country to end up in a fight with some drunken yob....u get enough of that in the uk :D

so what's up with pattaya?

and what's this mean? sanuk?anathema :o

all this sex town crap pisses me off,

bkkbound04 pattaya can provide everything you are looking for from lovely scenery to fitness, CLEAN nitelife and great food and accomodation, as for pollution, not in pattaya.

i'm married and live in pattaya and i love it, i actually feel safer going out in pattaya than i would where i come from.

Don't listen to the negative one's, judge for yourself.

ALL tourist destinations in thailand of the same services IF you want it.

ps, Patong is also sleaze city, although the scenery there is beautiful.

I first went to Pattaya 1986 as a 21 year old , I loved it , I still do , it's my second fave place behind Isaan , it's not everyones taste , but it's more honest than you'd believe. What you see is what you get , and you get a lot!

bkkbound04 pattaya can provide everything you are looking for from lovely scenery to fitness, CLEAN nitelife and great food and accomodation, as for pollution, not in pattaya.

i'm married and live in pattaya and i love it, i actually feel safer going out in pattaya than i would where i come from.

Well said DT.

Pattaya is my second home and I have never even seen a fight. People tend to keep themselves to themselves. Obviously like any city you have to be aware, but all in all its hard to beat Pattaya.

I can advise you on a great gym, and if your serious about packing some muscle on, I can advise you on that too.

Bring a mini George Forman grill. The best thing I ever took to Pattaya.......(except for a tube of Germoline) :o:D

Pattaya is my second home and I have never even seen a fight. People tend to keep themselves to themselves.

Hey, I've spent about 18 months in Pattaya and like it a lot - but: Never seen a fight in Pattaya? Where did you hang out?

That being said - you never have to find yourself at the receiving end of trouble in Fun City unless you create it for yourself. Good things comes to good people...

Dave, down in your area I've seen quite a few brits and germans engaging in altercations (and a bar-stool or 2 of Lucky Star's bent over their backs...)... ahh, the beauty of drinking at 6 am... :o

/// DFW

13 Years in Pattaya, i never saw much trouble at all, there was much more in the town in England i came from.

Pattaya has everything you could wish for, and if you have some transport, you can be in the countryside in a few minutes, or be in Bang Saray on the Beach under the trees in 15 mins, Rayong is close, Bang Chang is close, Bkk is 2 hours, 5 x MK Suki Restaurants, 2 x Big C, 2 x Lotus, Carrefour, Foodland, friendship, Best, heaps of good restaurants, great golf courses, Bowling, go-go, beer bars, Music bars, Jomtien Beach, Cinemas, Some excellent Hotels, some not so good, but they cater to all price levels.

I think that if you put the mix of entertainment venues , Bars, go-go's, girls, different nationalities in Brighton for Instance there would be mass fights every night, Pattaya is not so bad.......... you can have a lot of good times in Pattaya, Just depends on the individual.

I actaully found Pattaya to be the most sleazy place in Thailand. I admit I was only there for 3 months, but that was enough for me. Phuket is far more beautiful, but Patong is a sleaze pit. Chiangmai is lovely and quiet and Samui is probably the best out the lot.

Well said, Dave.

I'm afraid we will only "see" what we want to "see". Being a Thai woman, and in Pattaya at the very moment, I don't think it's all that bad. Might be pretty crazy. There are sights to see. There is at least one great and clean bar to hang out (with great music by Lam Morrison :o ).

I actaully found Pattaya to be the most sleazy place in Thailand. I admit I was only there for 3 months, but that was enough for me. Phuket is far more beautiful, but Patong is a sleaze pit. Chiangmai is lovely and quiet and Samui is probably the best out the lot.

I think Pattaya improved a lot the past few years and I'm sure you can enjoy living there.

But if you like living next to the beach, I would choose Samui.

I heard lately that a lot of European were buying homes in Hua Hin.

Quite nice also.

thanks for all the positive reponse on pattaya :D

all the ex pats i met when i was out there seemed like top peeps in the short time i met them :o

3 weeks tomorrow and i can't wait :clap:

i would have liked a paradise detination ie phi phi, samui etc but i dont think they can offer me as much as pattaya can, reason i want to return is i enjoyed my stay there, had everything i'd need and was by the sea :cool:

i drank mostly at the best friends bar when i was in pattaya and found it a good place to watch some boxing and have a beer...never saw any trouble :D

medicine box i'd appreciate any help/info u can offer :D

good idea bout the foreman grill, i'll bring 1 out with me....i assume it works ok in los mine will have a uk plug on it so i'll bring an adapter

thanks again for all the reponse :D

True, he's right is Dave.

No one can tell you what you're gonna like and not like, only guess or guide you.

All I will add is that if you're going to Patty, then I recommend you do Ko Samet while you're in the area.

thanks tgs :o

is koh samet one of the smaller islands off pattaya that u get to by boat?

Yes, well sort of...

You get there from Rayong which is very near Pattaya - you'll hear about it, it's a beautiful place. (Ko Samet not so much Rayong - that's where you get the little chuggy boat to get there).

Were I ever to meet the right girl I would want nothing more than to stroll along Silver Sand beach with her in the moonlight blah blah blah don't get me started.

It's poles apart from Patty but they are both good in different ways.

Here, you could get yourself a nice girl in Patty then take her to Sammy! :D

And whats up wit "ull"mate? great place and if you want to compare it with with Pat...so be it.

I had to do a survey in the place about a year ago and was very supprised to find not only a great family shopping area but the City Council have constructed "The DEEP" an aquatic experience that Pat.could only think about.

Ok the weather might not compare and the boozers not as lively as F.C. but we are talking family values here.

One of Hulls finest sons has a magnificent and imposing statue erected in his honour in the centre of the city and his example to mankind and what he achieved inspires the world eve today (I dont mean John Prescot....although :o )

Go on who is it?

Answers on a postcard to....... :D:D

Here Bloody HERE!

Just bought a house on the outskirts.

Uk selling-up.

Can't wait to return.

Only the polution from Diesel engines bothers me........

hopefully have a chance to have a beer with some of the patty board residents when i'm over :o

Stay at The MUNCH SHACK.

Its on second Road near Walking street.

Look for the big yellow fascia.

Newly done rooms at about 650bht a day and great food.

Run by a nice English guy called Dave Greet.

He has a web site I hear.....www.themunchshack.com perhaps.

If not try Google....

Give Pattaya my love.......lucky sod.

thanks for all the positive reponse on pattaya :D

all the ex pats i met when i was out there seemed like top peeps in the short time i met them :D

3 weeks tomorrow and i can't wait :clap:

i would have liked a paradise detination ie phi phi, samui etc but i dont think they can offer me as much as pattaya can, reason i want to return is i enjoyed my stay there, had everything i'd need and was by the sea :cool:

i drank mostly at the best friends bar when i was in pattaya and found it a good place to watch some boxing and have a beer...never saw any trouble :D

medicine box i'd appreciate any help/info u can offer :D

good idea bout the foreman grill, i'll bring 1 out with me....i assume it works ok in los mine will have a uk plug on it so i'll bring an adapter

thanks again for all the reponse :wub:

if u bring george forman with you ,as well as his grill, you definatly wont get into any bother :o